US embargo restrictions for Debian?

Ola Sandbu

Jul 3, 2009, 7:20:16 AM7/3/09
Hello -

I see that Debian is a US registered organization, and then have to obey the laws for that country.
The reason for  my question is because I could not find any information related to United States embargo regulations at the Debian Web pages.

The question is simple: Are you violating the US embargo regulations by allowing me (or anybody else) to install the whole or part of a Debian distribution in a country included in the the lists described by http://www.bis.doc.gov/complianceandenforcement/ListsToCheck.htm  ?

My only way of understanding that the Debian distribution is legal is if it is classified as "information", that is an exception from the law.

Best regards, Ola Sandbu
mailto:Ola.s...@gmail.com
mobile: (+47)915 94704
home: (+47)6684 7048

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Jul 3, 2009, 8:10:11 AM7/3/09
Hi!

Ola Sandbu schrieb:

> I see that Debian is a US registered organization, and then have to obey the
> laws for that country.
> The reason for my question is because I could not find any information
> related to United States embargo regulations at the Debian Web pages.

Well, to be correct: Debian itself is not a US registered organisation,
but Software in the Public Interest, Debian's legal umbrella is.

To be best of my knowledge Debian helps SPI to comply with the US laws
by announcing new and changed packages to Department of Commerce's
Bureau of Export Administration (see
http://ftp-master.debian.org/crypto-in-main/ for some examples).

See http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain for more information about
that.

Best Regards,
Alexander Reichle-Schmehl

Steve Langasek

Jul 25, 2009, 10:40:08 AM7/25/09
Hello,

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 01:00:52PM +0200, Ola Sandbu wrote:
> I see that Debian is a US registered organization, and then have to obey the
> laws for that country.
> The reason for my question is because I could not find any information
> related to United States embargo regulations at the Debian Web pages.

> The question is simple: Are you violating the US embargo regulations by
> allowing me (or anybody else) to install the whole or part of a Debian
> distribution in a country included in the the lists described by
> http://www.bis.doc.gov/complianceandenforcement/ListsToCheck.htm ?

> My only way of understanding that the Debian distribution is legal is if it
> is classified as "information", that is an exception from the law.

Please see http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain for a summary of
Debian's current understanding of our obligations under US export law.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slan...@ubuntu.com vor...@debian.org