Re: amd64 sarge installation cds with 2.6.12

Frederik Schueler

Jul 21, 2005, 5:30:15 PM7/21/05
Hello,

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:22:58PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I am trying to make sure I notice when 2.6.12 comes out.

It was accepted into unstable today, should be autobuilt tonight,
and become available tomorrow during the day as mirrors sync.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG

signature.asc

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 21, 2005, 5:30:15 PM7/21/05
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 04:55:36PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> It seems likely I will soon be needing a Sarge installation CD with
> 2.6.12. This is because I will want to install Debian (AMD64 port) at work
> on a machine with two of the new dual core Opteron processors.
>
> Apparently 2.6.12 supports this architecture properly, while earlier
> versions of the kernel do not.
>
> So, I was wondering if anyone had made (or knew of) official or unofficial
> Sarge AMD64 installation cds with 2.6.12? If not, I guess I'll have to try
> rolling my own.

Well having already made some with 2.6.11, I intend to make one with
2.6.12 just as soon as debian released packages for 2.6.12 (I don't feel
like doing the patching of the kernel myself and many debian patches I
find very useful).

I am trying to make sure I notice when 2.6.12 comes out.

I still hope to hear from someone with i2o hardware whether my attempt
at adding i2o support to my netinst image works or not since I have no
such hardware to test with.

Len Sorensen

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 21, 2005, 5:40:07 PM7/21/05
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:27:57PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> It was accepted into unstable today, should be autobuilt tonight,
> and become available tomorrow during the day as mirrors sync.

I will try to build a new netinst image with that tomorrow then.

Must remember to add back tg3 I guess which disappeared after 2.6.8
sometime. Unless it didn't make it in I guess. :)

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 22, 2005, 8:20:15 AM7/22/05
On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:24:18AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> apt-get install debian-cd
>
> I configure the CONF.sh for normal CD builds, setting the path and
> such and then override a few things for netinst (see below):
>
> Building is then done with
>
> export CF=./CONF-netinst.sh
> ./build.sh
>

> You probably have to build for etch and change the D-I task file for
> the new kernel though.
>
> MfG
> Goswin
> % cat CONF-netinst.sh
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # extra setting for a netinst CD
>
> . ./CONF.sh
>
> export NORECOMMENDS=1
> export NOSUGGESTS=1
> export COMPLETE=0
> # businesscard image
> #export INSTALLER_CD=1
> #export TASK=tasks/debian-installer-sarge
> # netinst image
> export INSTALLER_CD=2
> export TASK=tasks/debian-installer+kernel-sarge
> export DOJIGDO=0
> export DI=sarge
> export DI_DIST=sarge
> export IMAGETARGET=bin-official_images
> export SKIPMIRRORCHECK=yes

Unfortunately you also need to somehow get the new kernel into the d-i
part, which requires a few other steps using other packages/sources.
Updating the packages on the cd is actually the easy part (and just
replacing the files and updating Packages.gz from an existing netinst cd
is much easier than figuring out all the settings in debian-cd, and much
faster too I find).

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 22, 2005, 8:20:17 AM7/22/05
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 06:20:17PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> Thanks. That's very helpful. If you could make the source for the netinst
> build publicly available so people could do tweaks if necessary, that
> would be even more helpful.

I could, but the build process is somewhat of a nightmare. Maybe I will
try to see if I can somehow script it. I know I am not the first one to
try making custom cds and the process certainly could be made nicer. :)

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 22, 2005, 8:30:09 AM7/22/05
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:35:14PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:27:57PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> > It was accepted into unstable today, should be autobuilt tonight,
> > and become available tomorrow during the day as mirrors sync.
>
> I will try to build a new netinst image with that tomorrow then.
>
> Must remember to add back tg3 I guess which disappeared after 2.6.8
> sometime. Unless it didn't make it in I guess. :)

Well still waiting for the kernel to arive on the mirrors or anywhere I
can get it. :)

Goswin von Brederlow

Jul 22, 2005, 11:30:09 AM7/22/05
lsor...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 05:35:14PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:27:57PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
>> > It was accepted into unstable today, should be autobuilt tonight,
>> > and become available tomorrow during the day as mirrors sync.
>>
>> I will try to build a new netinst image with that tomorrow then.
>>
>> Must remember to add back tg3 I guess which disappeared after 2.6.8
>> sometime. Unless it didn't make it in I guess. :)
>
> Well still waiting for the kernel to arive on the mirrors or anywhere I
> can get it. :)
>
> Len Sorensen

Due to ftp-master being shutdown yesterdays mirror run failed when
syncing the override files. We skipped that now (keeping the old
overrides) for a manual sync run and, viola, linux-2.6 source is in
the archive.

Lets hope the wanna-build isn't stcuk too.

MfG
Goswin

Goswin von Brederlow

Jul 22, 2005, 11:40:15 AM7/22/05
lsor...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

If you have to do just one then no problem.

I used to have to change a lot of udebs or debs to test sarge CDs so I
made myself a mirror with just the netinst debs and udebs using
reprepro and added localy modified packages to that. After that it's
just running the D-I build script and then the debian-cd build script
to test.

After the first two or three times this is much easier overall.

MfG
Goswin

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 22, 2005, 1:10:12 PM7/22/05
On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:57:01AM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> Is there anything else that I would need to pull from testing/unstable for
> the new kernel? For example, would I need the latest udev?

Hmm, that's a pretty good question. I guess another good question is:
Do you _need_ udev at all?

Goswin von Brederlow

Jul 22, 2005, 1:20:07 PM7/22/05
Faheem Mitha <fah...@email.unc.edu> writes:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> apt-get install debian-cd
>>
>> I configure the CONF.sh for normal CD builds, setting the path and
>> such and then override a few things for netinst (see below):
>>
>> Building is then done with
>>
>> export CF=./CONF-netinst.sh
>> ./build.sh
>>

>> You probably have to build for etch and change the D-I task file for
>> the new kernel though.
>>
>> MfG
>> Goswin

> [snip]

> Is there anything else that I would need to pull from testing/unstable
> for the new kernel? For example, would I need the latest udev?
>

> Thanks. Faheem.

Since 2.6.12 seem to have changed something in the udev department
that is probably best.

MfG
Goswin

Faheem Mitha

Jul 24, 2005, 5:30:10 PM7/24/05

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Otavio Salvador wrote:

>> Hmm, that's a pretty good question. I guess another good question is:
>> Do you _need_ udev at all?
>

> If you want to use gnome-volume-manager, yes!

How about just for normal, default, basic use of the system?

All I know about udev is that it manages device nodes, but does it do so
by default in the 2.6 Debian stock kernels, or do you need to enable it?

Faheem.

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 25, 2005, 10:00:11 AM7/25/05
On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 05:05:13PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> How about just for normal, default, basic use of the system?
>
> All I know about udev is that it manages device nodes, but does it do so
> by default in the 2.6 Debian stock kernels, or do you need to enable it?

Well none of my systems have udeb installed it would seem, and they are
doing just fine as far as I am concerned.

Len Sorensen

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 25, 2005, 11:20:20 AM7/25/05
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:27:57PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> It was accepted into unstable today, should be autobuilt tonight,
> and become available tomorrow during the day as mirrors sync.

New unofficial image is now online.

http://www.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/amd64/

Someone let me know if it works. What I would like to know is:

Does it work at all (I tested it up to partitioning disks on SATA WDs on
VIA controller).

Does it support AHCI.

Does it support I2O (not dpt of course, since it doesn't use I2O
drivers).

Does it work with Marvell Yukon PCIe chips? I know the onboard PCI chip
I have works, but many reports have shown 2.6.8 does not work with PCIe
versions of the chip. Perhaps 2.6.12 fixes that too.

If any drivers are missing that you think should be included, let me
know and I will see if I can put those in too.

Lennart Sorensen

Jul 25, 2005, 2:10:11 PM7/25/05
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:50:18PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> Great! It would be super nice, as I said earlier, if you could ship the
> sources for the CD so I could make tweaks. If that is impracticable,
> please don't worry about it.

I am trying to script the steps, but I am still trying to figure out
debian-cd to see if that really makes it simpler.

> Thanks for your efforts. We've ordered two machines, one with dual
> Opterons, the other with dual dual-core Operons (over objections on my
> part). Your CD will be one of the first things I'll try with the dual-core
> machine, and I'll report back to these lists, since info about dual-cores
> on Debian seems a bit scarce.

Would be fun to know the result.

Apparently the testing install cd images have newer kernels, but having
not looked at them in a few months I don't know if they allow installing
stable amd64 or only testing/unstable.

Vincent Hanquez

Jul 25, 2005, 2:20:07 PM7/25/05
On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 04:55:36PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> It seems likely I will soon be needing a Sarge installation CD with
> 2.6.12. This is because I will want to install Debian (AMD64 port) at work
> on a machine with two of the new dual core Opteron processors.
>
> Apparently 2.6.12 supports this architecture properly, while earlier
> versions of the kernel do not.
>
> So, I was wondering if anyone had made (or knew of) official or unofficial
> Sarge AMD64 installation cds with 2.6.12? If not, I guess I'll have to try
> rolling my own.

dual core opterons are supported by all kernels.
my quad dual core works on 2.6.5 and 2.6.11 out of the box.

dual core are exactly like dual cpu. the only 2.6.12 "support" is to show
them correctly in /proc/cpuinfo as part of the same die.

kernels < 2.6.12 will show each core as different cpus. no big deal.

--
Vincent Hanquez

Faheem Mitha

Jul 25, 2005, 3:30:12 PM7/25/05

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Vincent Hanquez wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 04:55:36PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
>> It seems likely I will soon be needing a Sarge installation CD with
>> 2.6.12. This is because I will want to install Debian (AMD64 port) at work
>> on a machine with two of the new dual core Opteron processors.
>>
>> Apparently 2.6.12 supports this architecture properly, while earlier
>> versions of the kernel do not.
>>
>> So, I was wondering if anyone had made (or knew of) official or unofficial
>> Sarge AMD64 installation cds with 2.6.12? If not, I guess I'll have to try
>> rolling my own.
>
> dual core opterons are supported by all kernels.
> my quad dual core works on 2.6.5 and 2.6.11 out of the box.
>
> dual core are exactly like dual cpu. the only 2.6.12 "support" is to show
> them correctly in /proc/cpuinfo as part of the same die.
>
> kernels < 2.6.12 will show each core as different cpus. no big deal.

Wow. Finally someone who can give definite info! You are running AMD64
Debian Sarge, right?

So, no kernel hangs or lockups with dual-core processors, then?

My vendor informed me that they has problems with Fedora Core (all
versions) so couldn't ship with Fedora preinstalled on the dual-core
opteron machine we ordered. So we had to go with SuSE instead. Any idea
what kind of problems they might have had?

Faheem.

Vincent Hanquez

Jul 26, 2005, 8:30:12 AM7/26/05
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 03:05:19PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
> So, no kernel hangs or lockups with dual-core processors, then?

Except if you go into more than 8 dualcore cpus, that's not going to
happen. dual core processor are exactly like a dual cpus machines.

So if the kernel works for dual cpu amd64 then it's working for dual
core amd64.

> My vendor informed me that they has problems with Fedora Core (all
> versions) so couldn't ship with Fedora preinstalled on the dual-core
> opteron machine we ordered. So we had to go with SuSE instead. Any idea
> what kind of problems they might have had?

The machine was shipped with fedora core 2 pre-installed on it, and it's
running debian unstable now.

I suggest you ask your vendor what problems exactly they have, because I
can't think of any software dual core problem which are not in a SMP machine.

--
Vincent Hanquez

Latchezar Dimitrov

Jul 26, 2005, 10:20:19 AM7/26/05

Not quite, cf, amd specs

> So if the kernel works for dual cpu amd64 then it's working
> for dual core amd64.

This is not the same as support.

Regards,
Latchezar

Vincent Hanquez

Jul 26, 2005, 10:30:14 AM7/26/05
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:14:19AM -0400, Latchezar Dimitrov wrote:
> Not quite, cf, amd specs

They are obviously some differences, since it can be detected (ACPI
detection) but nothing really important that doesn't make it almost
transparent to the kernel.

please be specific when you mention some randoms specs at least.

cheers,

Latchezar Dimitrov

Jul 26, 2005, 1:50:13 PM7/26/05
Well, my replies go together. In order to have a real support of
dual-core cpu systems the kernel must know about NUMA things where one
of the most significant diff b/n dual-core and dual is.

HTH,
Latchezar

PS. Yeah, it's much easier to simply say "no difference" - it's
impossible to prove :-))