Sound problem on >=2.6.9

Eugen Dedu

Feb 28, 2005, 5:50:31 AM2/28/05

With kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 (which have introduced beeps) I have
problems with the sound on my Aluminium PowerBook G4 15". (It worked
very well with <=2.6.8.)

First, the sound is softer than before, for ex. now 80% of sound (as
given by pbbuttonsd) is identical to 45% before.

Last, during a play (a sound file with xmms or a series a beeps) only
the first sound(s), for about 0.5 sec., are loud as before (<=2.6.8),
the others are soft.

I have (almost) all the packages in testing.

Thanks,
Eugen Dedu
--
Eugen Dedu
Assistant Professor / Maître de conférences

Moritz Armingeon

Feb 28, 2005, 12:10:38 PM2/28/05
On 11:20 Mon 28 Feb , Eugen Dedu wrote:
> Last, during a play (a sound file with xmms or a series a beeps) only
> the first sound(s), for about 0.5 sec., are loud as before (<=2.6.8),
> the others are soft.
I think you have to disable/turn up the DRC mixer.

Moritz

Michel Dänzer

Feb 28, 2005, 12:10:55 PM2/28/05
On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 11:20 +0100, Eugen Dedu wrote:

> With kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 (which have introduced beeps) I have
> problems with the sound on my Aluminium PowerBook G4 15". (It worked
> very well with <=2.6.8.)
>
> First, the sound is softer than before, for ex. now 80% of sound (as
> given by pbbuttonsd) is identical to 45% before.
>
> Last, during a play (a sound file with xmms or a series a beeps) only
> the first sound(s), for about 0.5 sec., are loud as before (<=2.6.8),
> the others are soft.

Check the DRC mixer settings.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer | Debian (powerpc), X and DRI developer
Libre software enthusiast | http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=daenzer

Stefano Zacchiroli

Feb 28, 2005, 12:20:28 PM2/28/05
On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:07:53PM +0100, Moritz Armingeon wrote:
> I think you have to disable/turn up the DRC mixer.

How could DRC range be disabled?

I grepped /etc/alsa/ and my kernel configuration but failed to find
something relevant.

Moreover, what does disabling DRC range implies? Before ALSA I was not
aware of it and I used to live happily ...

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

signature.asc

Eric Gaumer

Feb 28, 2005, 12:50:21 PM2/28/05
Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:07:53PM +0100, Moritz Armingeon wrote:
>
>>I think you have to disable/turn up the DRC mixer.
>

> How could DRC range be disabled?
>
> I grepped /etc/alsa/ and my kernel configuration but failed to find
> something relevant.
>
> Moreover, what does disabling DRC range implies? Before ALSA I was not
> aware of it and I used to live happily ...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cheers.

In laymen terms (myself being the laymen), dynamic range control is a way to control the
loudness dynamically.

An example will clarify...

You are watching a movie and most of the dialect is soft spoken so you have the volume
raised fairly high. On occasion there are massive gun fights and because the volume is so
loud, the gun fights are unbearably loud.

With DRC this would be adjusted dynamically so that the two were seemingly within the same
range of volume.

You can read more about it for in depth explanations but that's the basic gist.

- Albert Einstein

signature.asc

Moritz Armingeon

Feb 28, 2005, 1:00:23 PM2/28/05
On 18:15 Mon 28 Feb , Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:07:53PM +0100, Moritz Armingeon wrote:
> > I think you have to disable/turn up the DRC mixer.
>
> How could DRC range be disabled?
I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant to *mute* the DRC mixer which
sort-of disables DRC, or at least makes the "DRC Range" mixer unnecassry. I
can't prove better information to you, maybe someone else may...

Eric Gaumer

Feb 28, 2005, 1:10:21 PM2/28/05

There will be a check box along with a range control slider inside your mixer (i.e.
gnome-alsamixer). The gnome-volume control doesn't seem to have this option (at least here
on my machine). I'm not sure all sound cards have this feature. A few have posted stating
they didn't see this on newer models of powerbooks.

signature.asc

Mauro

Feb 28, 2005, 1:10:15 PM2/28/05

> In laymen terms (myself being the laymen), dynamic range control is a way to control the
> loudness dynamically.
>
> An example will clarify...
>
> You are watching a movie and most of the dialect is soft spoken so you have the volume
> raised fairly high. On occasion there are massive gun fights and because the volume is so
> loud, the gun fights are unbearably loud.
>
> With DRC this would be adjusted dynamically so that the two were seemingly within the same
> range of volume.
>
> You can read more about it for in depth explanations but that's the basic gist.

I guess what we're talking about is a compressor. It would be easier if
uniform language were used.

I had a compressor/sustainer special effects pedal that did this same
effect (on guitar). What it did is chop off the peaks and lows so as to
give a uniform level. Always wanted to try it on a bass, as the dynamic
range between the low E and G always bothered me (I'd go back and
forth), but never got rid of it before trying it on bass.

I imagine the compressor part is what does the levelling off.

Pander

Feb 28, 2005, 2:21:31 PM2/28/05
Hi all,

I have the same problem on G4 12". The thing is that whatever I change
the volume control (2.8.2) to, next time I boot all settings are lost :(

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

Pander

Moritz Armingeon

Feb 28, 2005, 2:40:48 PM2/28/05
On 20:15 Mon 28 Feb , Pander wrote:
> I have the same problem on G4 12". The thing is that whatever I change
> the volume control (2.8.2) to, next time I boot all settings are lost :(
$ dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
...and say that you want to autosave. If you don't want it that way, do:
$ alsactl store

Eugen Dedu

Mar 1, 2005, 9:30:15 AM3/1/05
Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 11:20 +0100, Eugen Dedu wrote:
>
>>With kernels 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 (which have introduced beeps) I have
>>problems with the sound on my Aluminium PowerBook G4 15". (It worked
>>very well with <=2.6.8.)
>>
>>First, the sound is softer than before, for ex. now 80% of sound (as
>>given by pbbuttonsd) is identical to 45% before.
>>
>>Last, during a play (a sound file with xmms or a series a beeps) only
>>the first sound(s), for about 0.5 sec., are loud as before (<=2.6.8),
>>the others are soft.
>

> Check the DRC mixer settings.

Thank you very much.

I execute alsamixer, disable DRC and it works as before.

Regards,