Kdesu has forgotten root password

John O'Hagan

Oct 14, 2006, 5:20:09 AM10/14/06
Hi list,

This one has me stumped: in the middle of a session, kdesu stopped accepting
my password, saying it was incorrect. So now I can't run adept, root Konsole
or Konqueror etc, as easily as I'd like!

Normal su in a console works fine, kwallet accept the same password, other vts
are OK with it as well.

Caps and num locks are off.

Restarting KDE didn't work; nor did rebooting.

Where does kdesu look for passwords? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

John

John O'Hagan

Oct 14, 2006, 6:30:13 AM10/14/06
On Saturday 14 October 2006 19:14, John O'Hagan wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> This one has me stumped: in the middle of a session, kdesu stopped
> accepting my password, saying it was incorrect. So now I can't run adept,
> root Konsole or Konqueror etc, as easily as I'd like!
>
> Normal su in a console works fine, kwallet accept the same password, other
> vts are OK with it as well.

A bit of extra info: kdesud is part of kdelibs4c2a which was upgraded in
testing today, so I guess that's where the problem lies.

Marc Bantle

Oct 14, 2006, 5:40:09 PM10/14/06
John O'Hagan schrieb:

> On Saturday 14 October 2006 19:14, John O'Hagan wrote:
>
>> This one has me stumped: in the middle of a session, kdesu stopped
>> accepting my password, saying it was incorrect. So now I can't run adept,
>> root Konsole or Konqueror etc, as easily as I'd like!
>>
> A bit of extra info: kdesud is part of kdelibs4c2a which was upgraded in
> testing today, so I guess that's where the problem lies.

Hi John,

caught myself the problem today. Other people reported it a few days ago
when kdebase-bin was updated:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2006/10/msg00041.html

Replacing the kdesu binary (3.5.4-2+b1) with an old one from kdebase-bin
3.3.2-1sarge3 solved it on my system.

Marc