grub2 error: grub loader is loaded not found

Lola

Oct 18, 2009, 9:00:02 AM10/18/09
I have Lenny installed on an HP dv6871 laptop. I installed Lenny in
expert mode and went with a "tuned" kernel and grub2. It runs
oh-so-very-well ;) I wanted to try Squeeze the other day so I imaged my
root partition with partimage off the sysrescuedisc version 1.2.2..

Restoring the partition yielded no errors. Everything restored, or
so it appeared, but when I went to reboot Grub2 had an error:

GRUB Loading.
WELCOME to GRUB!

Entering rescue mode...
error: the symbol `grub_loaded_is_loaded' not found
grub rescue>

And there I sit knowing no grub2 rescue mode commands...

Found a few things online but they weren't specific to this error.

I booted a Lenny install disc into rescue mode and updated grub, no
error but it didn't solve the problem either.

Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? I'd really
appreciate it and I'll keep poking around online, too.

Thanks

talllola

signature.asc

Felix Zielcke

Oct 18, 2009, 9:10:01 AM10/18/09

Even though debian-boot sounds like this mailing list would be for all
kind of booting problems, it's the developer list for the
debian-installer.

Well boot from a LiveCD, chroot to your installed system and run
grub-install with the right Liunx device where your BIOS boots from.
This sounds like MBR + embed core.img is out of sync with /boot/grub/
which can only happen if you installed GRUB the second time to a
different MBR then first.
See also http://grub.enbug.org/Grub2LiveCdInstallGuide

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer