GDM doesn't recognize keyboard anymore

Ines Rieger

Dec 28, 2001, 9:50:10 AM12/28/01
Hi *,
I have done the following:
I have run the configuring-script from the gdm-chooser menu to apply a
diffrent looking to my login screen. I only changed to pictures, nothing
more. After that the chooser told me that no x-servers or xdcmp (?) where
specified, that this only could be a configuration error and that he is starting an
x-server. I activated this xdcmp(?) option and restrated my laptop. After
that gdm didn't start anymore. So I deactivated it again. Now, gdm starts,
but it doesn't recognize my keyboard anymore. I tried reinstalling gdm but
that didn't work. I can't even switch to any console because my keyboard
does not work. Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

Greetings

Rotschopf

--
Es ist nichts sicher, ausser dass nichts sicher ist, und nicht einmal das.

Tony Rein

Dec 28, 2001, 1:30:16 PM12/28/01
On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 09:43, Ines Rieger wrote:
> Hi *,
> I have done the following:
> I have run the configuring-script from the gdm-chooser menu to apply a
> diffrent looking to my login screen. I only changed to pictures, nothing
> more. After that the chooser told me that no x-servers or xdcmp (?) where
> specified, that this only could be a configuration error and that he is starting an
> x-server. I activated this xdcmp(?) option and restrated my laptop. After
> that gdm didn't start anymore. So I deactivated it again. Now, gdm starts,
> but it doesn't recognize my keyboard anymore. I tried reinstalling gdm but
> that didn't work. I can't even switch to any console because my keyboard
> does not work. Does anyone know what I have done wrong?
>
> Greetings
>
> Rotschopf

Halloo, Rotschopf!

I've had a similar problem with gdm. I solved it by removing gdm and
installing a different version of gdm. I'm sorry I can't be more
specific, but I've forgotten the versions involved.

To remove gdm you'll have to log in in non-X mode. You probably already
know how to do this, but if not, boot up in "single mode." That is, if
you're using Lilo and your Debian entry is called "Linux", when you see
the Lilo prompt press Shift and type "Linux single" and then press
enter. You'll boot up into a non-X, non-network mode, and you can then
log in as root and type "apt-get remove gdm." Then go to Debian's web
site and use the package search feature to find the different versions
of gem available. Pick a different one, download and try it (install it
with dpkg -i).

Good luck.
Tony

Dave Thayer

Dec 29, 2001, 2:40:05 PM12/29/01
On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 03:43:09PM +0100, Ines Rieger wrote:
> Hi *,
> I have done the following:
> I have run the configuring-script from the gdm-chooser menu to apply a
> diffrent looking to my login screen. I only changed to pictures, nothing
> more. After that the chooser told me that no x-servers or xdcmp (?) where
> specified, that this only could be a configuration error and that he is starting an
> x-server. I activated this xdcmp(?) option and restrated my laptop. After
> that gdm didn't start anymore. So I deactivated it again. Now, gdm starts,
> but it doesn't recognize my keyboard anymore. I tried reinstalling gdm but
> that didn't work. I can't even switch to any console because my keyboard
> does not work. Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

Make sure that gdm isn't trying to start on a VT that has a getty
running on it. If you can ssh/telnet into your machine try (as root)
"fuser -v /dev/tty?" which should tell you if this is happening. I had
the same problem and I had to change the line that said "0=Standard"
to "0=Standard vt7" in the "[servers]" section of gdm.conf.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all