[OT] _received_ call from toll free ?

Leonardo Boselli

Oct 5, 2005, 2:50:14 PM10/5/05
sorry for OT but i hpe someone can help me:
i have received a call from 0018668493243
i did not had the time to answer since it rang only two times ....
but this number seem to be a toll free number in usa ...
how is possible to _receive_ a call from a toll free number ?
does anyone can help me ?
--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile

Wojciech Ziniewicz

Oct 5, 2005, 3:00:20 PM10/5/05
2005/10/5, Leonardo Boselli <l...@dicea.unifi.it>:

> sorry for OT but i hpe someone can help me:
> i have received a call from 0018668493243
> i did not had the time to answer since it rang only two times ....
> but this number seem to be a toll free number in usa ...
> how is possible to _receive_ a call from a toll free number ?
> does anyone can help me ?
some PBX's that are connected with E1/T1 SIP Voip gateways send custom
numer presentation. So somebody might have set his number to "xxxxxxx"
and this was shown on your phone.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Wojciech Ziniewicz | wojciech....@gmail.com

Christian

Oct 5, 2005, 9:00:08 PM10/5/05
Wojciech Ziniewicz schrieb:

> some PBX's that are connected with E1/T1 SIP Voip gateways send custom
> numer presentation. So somebody might have set his number to "xxxxxxx"
> and this was shown on your phone.

(Vo)IP spoofing has arrived? uuh....

--
BOFH excuse #56:

Electricians made popcorn in the power supply

Chris Wagner

Oct 5, 2005, 10:00:15 PM10/5/05
>Wojciech Ziniewicz schrieb:
>> some PBX's that are connected with E1/T1 SIP Voip gateways send custom
>> numer presentation. So somebody might have set his number to "xxxxxxx"
>> and this was shown on your phone.

Every line has to have a valid callback number to display on caller id.
This is so telemarketers can't hide behind bogus numbers. U just got lucky
to be called by one of these people and have the call go over equipment that
could forward that number all the way to ur country.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100

Paul TBBle Hampson

Oct 6, 2005, 1:20:08 AM10/6/05
On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 08:45:17PM +0200, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> sorry for OT but i hpe someone can help me:
> i have received a call from 0018668493243
> i did not had the time to answer since it rang only two times ....
> but this number seem to be a toll free number in usa ...
> how is possible to _receive_ a call from a toll free number ?
> does anyone can help me ?

This sounds like a scam I think I heard about where they do that to get
you to call them back, racking up nice charges on your phone bill and
profits for them. Although that would be a toll number, not a toll-free
number...

Just a thought.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.H...@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/

Wojciech Ziniewicz

Oct 6, 2005, 6:20:47 AM10/6/05
2005/10/6, Chris Wagner <wag...@plebeian.com>:

> Every line has to have a valid callback number to display on caller id.
> This is so telemarketers can't hide behind bogus numbers. U just got lucky
> to be called by one of these people and have the call go over equipment that
> could forward that number all the way to ur country.

Youp ,every line _should_ present a valid callback number but i have a
small voip network and tested such things just for fun. For example,
my cisco IP phone was "666" and when called my cellular it was "666"
presented too.
It all depends on configuration of PBX, whether it passes through the
"invalid" number or it does not.
note that the valid number is 0+Subscriber'sCountryNumber* , in the
other case, the PBX will present your number as "restricted" or
"private"

sorry for OT

*just translating it from Polish ;)