[OffTopic] Network documentation templates

Luiz

Jan 23, 2008, 2:20:10 AM1/23/08
Hello all,

although I know this list is debian specific, I'd like to ask if someone can
point me to a good network documentation templates (or even a real project),
starting from risks assessment to procedures, passing through standards and
guidelines.

I'd be very glad if anyone can provide me it, and sorry if it's very OT.

Best regards,
Luiz Felipe.

Messagem enviada pelo sistema de WebMail do Grupo Carvalho

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
acredita-se estar livre de perigo.

Joel Merrick

Jan 23, 2008, 5:50:10 AM1/23/08
On Jan 23, 2008 1:52 AM, Luiz <lu...@grupocarvalho.com.br> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> although I know this list is debian specific, I'd like to ask if someone can
> point me to a good network documentation templates (or even a real project),
> starting from risks assessment to procedures, passing through standards and
> guidelines.

I'd also be interested

Thanks,
Joel

--
echo "kpfmAkpfmnfssjdl/dpn" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'

Andrew McGlashan

Jan 23, 2008, 8:10:08 AM1/23/08

Joel Merrick wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008 1:52 AM, Luiz <lu...@grupocarvalho.com.br> wrote:
>> although I know this list is debian specific, I'd like to ask if
>> someone can point me to a good network documentation templates (or
>> even a real project), starting from risks assessment to procedures,
>> passing through standards and guidelines.
>
> I'd also be interested

Yes, me too. One thing you need to have when applying for a bunch of IPs is
a suitable network diagram to justify the application. Anything that makes
that easier would be really useful.

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Current Land Line No: 03 9912 0504
Mobile: 04 2574 1827 Fax: 03 8790 1224

National No: 1300 85 3804

Affinity Vision Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.affinityvision.com.au
http://adsl2choice.net.au

In Case of Emergency -- http://www.affinityvision.com.au/ice.html

Dominique Görsch

Jan 23, 2008, 10:50:14 AM1/23/08
Andrew McGlashan wrotes:

> One thing you need to have when applying for a bunch of
> IPs is a suitable network diagram to justify the application.

For diagrams of the network topology I use MS Visio (like in [1]). My
customers relish this kind of graphics in documentations. In the past I
had a small tool (at that time running on WfW) that scanned the network
recursive for machines (via Netbios and IP) and tried to paint a diagram
of the hosts and nodes. The graphic wasn't really pretty and
unfortunately I can't remember the name.

Best regards
Dominique Görsch

[1] http://picpaste.de/topologie2.png - small diagram of my LAN at home

Diego F. Asanza

Jan 23, 2008, 12:40:21 PM1/23/08

Am Mittwoch, den 23.01.2008, 16:21 +0100 schrieb Dominique Görsch:
> Andrew McGlashan wrotes:
> > One thing you need to have when applying for a bunch of
> > IPs is a suitable network diagram to justify the application.
>
> For diagrams of the network topology I use MS Visio (like in [1]). My
> customers relish this kind of graphics in documentations. In the past I
> had a small tool (at that time running on WfW) that scanned the network
> recursive for machines (via Netbios and IP) and tried to paint a diagram
> of the hosts and nodes. The graphic wasn't really pretty and
> unfortunately I can't remember the name.
>
> Best regards
> Dominique Görsch
>
> [1] http://picpaste.de/topologie2.png - small diagram of my LAN at home

For those kinds of diagrams try gnu software Dia. Nagios can help to
mantain the network structure organization. I think it can even give you
a live network status map diagram.

http://poormanstech.blogspot.com/2007/01/server-monitoring-nagios.html

Yours,

D.A.

Adam McGreggor

Jan 23, 2008, 3:40:12 PM1/23/08
On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:38:24PM +0100, Diego F. Asanza wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 23.01.2008, 16:21 +0100 schrieb Dominique Görsch:
> > Andrew McGlashan wrotes:
> > > One thing you need to have when applying for a bunch of
> > > IPs is a suitable network diagram to justify the application.
> >
> > For diagrams of the network topology I use MS Visio (like in [1]). My

[...]

> For those kinds of diagrams try gnu software Dia. Nagios can help to

Or kivio :) : although I do feel both kivio and dia are way behind
compared to Visio, even before MS spent millions on visio's development.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 24, 2008, 1:30:15 PM1/24/08
Adam McGreggor escreveu:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 06:38:24PM +0100, Diego F. Asanza wrote:
>
>> Am Mittwoch, den 23.01.2008, 16:21 +0100 schrieb Dominique Görsch:
>>
>>> Andrew McGlashan wrotes:

>>> For diagrams of the network topology I use MS Visio (like in [1]). My
>>>

> [...]
>

>> For those kinds of diagrams try gnu software Dia. Nagios can help to
>>

> Or kivio :) : although I do feel both kivio and dia are way behind
> compared to Visio, even before MS spent millions on visio's development.

Hello folks,

I was digging around and I did find some interesting stuff about that.
The guys at sans.org have done a great job. Check it out:
http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/

There you can find templates for standards, guidelines, procedures and
some information for those who are new building these documents.

Additionaly, there is a template for the existing network
infrastructure:
http://www.networkdocumentation.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=21&Itemid=36

Guess it will help somebody ;D

--
Att,
Luiz Felipe de Souza Gomes

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus e
acredita-se estar livre de perigo.

Linux Mello

Jan 24, 2008, 8:10:09 PM1/24/08
Luiz Felipe escreveu:

> Adam McGreggor escreveu:

>> [...]
>>

>>> For those kinds of diagrams try gnu software Dia. Nagios can help to
>>>

>> Or kivio :) : although I do feel both kivio and dia are way behind
>> compared to Visio, even before MS spent millions on visio's development.
>>

> Hello folks,
>
> I was digging around and I did find some interesting stuff about that.
> The guys at sans.org have done a great job. Check it out:
> http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/
>
> There you can find templates for standards, guidelines, procedures
> and some information for those who are new building these documents.
>
> Additionaly, there is a template for the existing network
> infrastructure:
> http://www.networkdocumentation.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=21&Itemid=36
>

> Guess it will help somebody ;D

Here in Brazil the goverment create 2 free softwares to monitoring
network and the computers in network the name is:

COCAR - CONTROLADOR CENTRALIZADO DO AMBIENTE DE REDE (CENTERED
CONTROLLER OF THE NET ENVIRONMENT) a tool for monitoring of the traffic
in the circuits of the access net was developed with the objective of
avaliable for all the offices and supplying informative alarms of fall
of performance in these circuits with the storage of the collected data.

CACIC - is capable to supply a necessary diagnosis of the computational
park and to disponibilizar information as the equipment number and its
distribution in the most diverse agencies, the used and permitted types
of softwares, configurations of the hardware, among others. Also it can
supply to patrimonial information and the physical localization of the
equipment, extending the control of the computational park and the
security in the net.

http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br
Thats want do downloads this solutions, you need make your login in this
site, is very simple and quickly.

I hope that its help somebody in Sys Admin.