Friendly reminder: the Vcs-Browser field is now official

Romain Francoise

Oct 29, 2007, 3:40:07 PM10/29/07
Hi all,

The packages listed below use the 'XS-Vcs-Browse' field, which has
been obsoleted by the new, official 'Vcs-Browser' field. Please
consider upgrading your control files to use that. Also note that
the proper capitalization is 'Vcs-Browser', not 'VCS-Browser'.
Thanks.

Gregory Colpart (evolix) <r...@evolix.fr>
ingo1 (U)
kronolith2 (U)
mnemo2 (U)
turba2 (U)

Clint Adams <sch...@debian.org>
arch-perl
archway
archzoom
axp

Daniel Baumann <dan...@debian.org>
live-helper (U)
live-initramfs (U)
virtualbox-ose (U)

Marcus Better <mar...@better.se>
commons-daemon (U)
emma-coverage (U)
ganymed-ssh2 (U)
input-utils
kernel-patch-exec-shield
libcommons-modeler-java (U)
libjaxen-java (U)
libxalan2-java (U)
mysql-connector-java (U)
rhino (U)
stylebook (U)
tomcat5.5 (U)

Paul Cager <paul-...@home.paulcager.org>
rhino (U)

Debian Java Maintainers <pkg-java-m...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
commons-daemon
emma-coverage
ganymed-ssh2
libcommons-modeler-java
libjaxen-java
libxalan2-java
mysql-connector-java
rhino
stylebook
tomcat5.5

Debian Live <debian-l...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
live-helper
live-initramfs

Debian Virtualbox Team <pkg-virtua...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
virtualbox-ose

Hector Garcia <hec...@debian.org>
mailman (U)

Tollef Fog Heen <tfh...@debian.org>
mailman (U)

Horde Maintainers <pkg-hord...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
ingo1
kronolith2
mnemo2
turba2

Philipp Hug <deb...@hug.cx>
virtualbox-ose (U)

Philipp Kern <pk...@debian.org>
aiccu

Thijs Kinkhorst <th...@debian.org>
dutch
mailman (U)
php-http-request
phpbb2 (U)

Julian Andres Klode <j...@jak-linux.org>
ndisgtk

Matthias Klose <do...@ubuntu.com>
libxalan2-java (U)

Michael Koch <konq...@gmx.de>
commons-daemon (U)
emma-coverage (U)
ganymed-ssh2 (U)
libcommons-modeler-java (U)
mysql-connector-java (U)
stylebook (U)
tomcat5.5 (U)

Alexander Kotelnikov <sa...@debian.org>
fvwm (U)

martin f. krafft <mad...@debian.org>
mailplate

Chris Lamb <ch...@chris-lamb.co.uk>
cakephp
cakephp-instaweb
cakephp1.2
trac-bzr

Ola Lundqvist <op...@debian.org>
ingo1 (U)
kronolith2 (U)
mnemo2 (U)
turba2 (U)

Mailman for Debian <pkg-mailm...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
mailman

Lionel Elie Mamane <lma...@debian.org>
ingo1 (U)
kronolith2 (U)
mailman (U)
mnemo2 (U)
turba2 (U)

Michael Meskes <mes...@debian.org>
virtualbox-ose (U)

Kurt Roeckx <ku...@roeckx.be>
dutch (U)

Erich Schubert <er...@debian.org>
refpolicy (U)

Manoj Srivastava <sriv...@debian.org>
checkpolicy
cvs-buildpackage
dist
flex
fvwm
fvwm (U)
kernel-package
libcgi-perl
liblog-log4perl-perl
libselinux
libsemanage
libsepol
mailagent
policycoreutils
psgml
refpolicy
slat
ucf
vm

Marvin Stark <ma...@der-marv.de>
virtualbox-ose (U)

Arnaud Vandyck <av...@debian.org>
commons-daemon (U)
libcommons-modeler-java (U)
libjaxen-java (U)
libxalan2-java (U)
mysql-connector-java (U)
rhino (U)
tomcat5.5 (U)

Patrick Winnertz <patrick....@skolelinux.org>
virtualbox-ose (U)

Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jer...@wolffelaar.nl>
phpbb2

--
,''`.
: :' : Romain Francoise <rfran...@debian.org>

Michael Biebl

Oct 29, 2007, 4:30:17 PM10/29/07
Romain Francoise schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> The packages listed below use the 'XS-Vcs-Browse' field, which has
> been obsoleted by the new, official 'Vcs-Browser' field. Please
> consider upgrading your control files to use that. Also note that
> the proper capitalization is 'Vcs-Browser', not 'VCS-Browser'.
> Thanks.

So, should we use XS-Vcs-* or Vcs-* [1] in debian/control now?
Is there a documentation/wiki/etc. of valid fields somewhere?

Michael

[1] * being Vcs-Browser, Vcs-Arch, Vcs-Bzr, Vcs-Cvs, Vcs-Darcs,
Vcs-Git, Vcs-Hg, Vcs-Mtn or Vcs-Svn
universe are pointed away from Earth?

signature.asc

Cyril Brulebois

Oct 29, 2007, 4:30:23 PM10/29/07
Michael Biebl <bi...@debian.org> (29/10/2007):

> So, should we use XS-Vcs-* or Vcs-* [1] in debian/control now?

Vcs-*.

> Is there a documentation/wiki/etc. of valid fields somewhere?

There's dpkg changelog in “etc.”.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois

signature.asc

Cyril Brulebois

Oct 29, 2007, 4:50:11 PM10/29/07
Nico Golde <ni...@ngolde.de> (29/10/2007):
> That only helps people who look now at it and it should be (I guess it
> will be) at least documented in the developers reference.

I know, just pointing to the existing bits of documentation I know of.

> Btw, looking at Vcs-* the changelog only says:
> * Add Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git fields to debian/control.

You can also look at the previous entry, which contains others.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois

signature.asc

Nico Golde

Oct 29, 2007, 4:50:13 PM10/29/07
Hi Cyril,
* Cyril Brulebois <cyril.b...@enst-bretagne.fr> [2007-10-29 21:31]:

> Michael Biebl <bi...@debian.org> (29/10/2007):
> > So, should we use XS-Vcs-* or Vcs-* [1] in debian/control now?
>
> Vcs-*.
>
> > Is there a documentation/wiki/etc. of valid fields somewhere?
>
> There's dpkg changelog in ???etc.???.

That only helps people who look now at it and it should be
(I guess it will be) at least documented in the developers reference.

Btw, looking at Vcs-* the changelog only says:
* Add Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git fields to debian/control.

Kind regards
Nico
--
Nico Golde - http://www.ngolde.de - ni...@jabber.ccc.de - GPG: 0x73647CFF

Nico Golde

Oct 29, 2007, 4:50:12 PM10/29/07
Hi Cyril,
* Cyril Brulebois <cyril.b...@enst-bretagne.fr> [2007-10-29 21:45]:

And this was exactly the reason why I said the changelog
does not really help ;)

Frank Lichtenheld

Oct 29, 2007, 5:20:12 PM10/29/07
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:33:24PM +0100, Romain Francoise wrote:
> The packages listed below use the 'XS-Vcs-Browse' field, which has
> been obsoleted by the new, official 'Vcs-Browser' field. Please
> consider upgrading your control files to use that. Also note that
> the proper capitalization is 'Vcs-Browser', not 'VCS-Browser'.
> Thanks.

There is really no such thing as "proper" capitalization, but that is
what dpkg will normalise it to, yeah.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <dj...@debian.org>
www: http://www.djpig.de/

Frank Lichtenheld

Oct 29, 2007, 5:20:13 PM10/29/07
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:40:15PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> * Cyril Brulebois <cyril.b...@enst-bretagne.fr> [2007-10-29 21:31]:
> > Michael Biebl <bi...@debian.org> (29/10/2007):
> > > So, should we use XS-Vcs-* or Vcs-* [1] in debian/control now?
> >
> > Vcs-*.
> >
> > > Is there a documentation/wiki/etc. of valid fields somewhere?
> >
> > There's dpkg changelog in ???etc.???.
>
> That only helps people who look now at it and it should be
> (I guess it will be) at least documented in the developers reference.
> Btw, looking at Vcs-* the changelog only says:
> * Add Vcs-Browser and Vcs-Git fields to debian/control.

There is the deb-control(5) page, but that only applies to binary
packages. If someone would create a equivalent for source packages...
(It is somewhere on my dpkg TODO list)

Stefano Zacchiroli

Oct 29, 2007, 6:10:06 PM10/29/07
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:23:17PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> So, should we use XS-Vcs-* or Vcs-* [1] in debian/control now?
> Is there a documentation/wiki/etc. of valid fields somewhere?

There have been documentation for XS-Vcs-* since ages in the BTS as an
addendum for the devref (#391023), with patch. The documentation should
be ok, except that you can forget the trailing "XS-" prefix since now
the fields are officially supported by dpkg.

I don't know where now this stuff should be documented (and I've lost a
bit of enthusiasm at documenting ...), but feel free to take the current
patch text and divert it where appropriate.

Cheers.

(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? /\ All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema \/ right keys at the right time

signature.asc

Stefano Zacchiroli

Oct 29, 2007, 6:10:10 PM10/29/07
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:40:15PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> That only helps people who look now at it and it should be
> (I guess it will be) at least documented in the developers reference.

See #391023, it has been there since a few days after I announced the
support of Vcs-* fields in the PTS.

Still there.

signature.asc

Daniel Burrows

Oct 30, 2007, 12:40:08 AM10/30/07
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:33:24PM +0100, Romain Francoise <rfran...@debian.org> was heard to say:

> The packages listed below use the 'XS-Vcs-Browse' field, which has
> been obsoleted by the new, official 'Vcs-Browser' field. Please
> consider upgrading your control files to use that. Also note that
> the proper capitalization is 'Vcs-Browser', not 'VCS-Browser'.
> Thanks.

Is this field meant to point at the Debian repository or the
upstream repository? (I assume the Debian one)

Daniel

Stefano Zacchiroli

Oct 30, 2007, 3:40:05 AM10/30/07
On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 09:36:48PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> Is this field meant to point at the Debian repository or the
> upstream repository? (I assume the Debian one)

Both Vcs-Browser and Vcs-* are meant to contain the current development
copy of the repository used to build the official Debian package. The
intended use is for either a user who sees a bug tagged pending in the
BTS and want to get the patched code or, similarly, for a DD willing to
make an NMU and commit the code where appropriate (if possible).

See the bug I've pointed to in this thread for the complete doc.

Cheers.

signature.asc

Willi Mann

Oct 30, 2007, 5:00:22 AM10/30/07

> The packages listed below use the 'XS-Vcs-Browse' field, which has
> been obsoleted by the new, official 'Vcs-Browser' field. Please
> consider upgrading your control files to use that. Also note that
> the proper capitalization is 'Vcs-Browser', not 'VCS-Browser'.
> Thanks.

Why did you not search for XS-Vcs in general? I'm asking because my
package logwatch is not listed, and I remember I've copied the XS-Vcs
fields from another package (XS-Vcs-Browser vs. XS-Vcs-Browse).

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-logwatch/trunk/debian/control?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

Willi

Romain Francoise

Oct 30, 2007, 2:50:18 PM10/30/07
Willi Mann <wi...@wm1.at> writes:

> Why did you not search for XS-Vcs in general?

Because packages using XS-Vcs-Browse are easy to catch, you can just
look at the Sources file and filter on 'Vcs-Browse'. Since the
other XS-Vcs-* fields get normalized to legit values, catching them
requires unpacking all the source packages.

BUT! you may be interested in the following packages, which use
XS-X-Vcs-* headers and are also easy to catch:

Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit) <mrp...@gmail.com>
gnaural

Nicolas FRANCOIS (Nekral) <nicolas....@centraliens.net>
shadow (U)

Moray Allan <mo...@debian.org>
libhandoff (U)

Mirco Bauer <mee...@debian.org>
beagle (U)
evolution-sharp (U)

John V. Belmonte <jbel...@debian.org>
lua5.1

Phil Blundell <p...@debian.org>
libhandoff (U)

Frank B. Brokken <f.b.b...@rug.nl>
c++-annotations

Luca Capello <lu...@pca.it>
arnesi
fiveam
parenscript
qbook
s-xml
trivial-sockets
yaclml

Vagrant Cascadian <vag...@freegeek.org>
ltsp (U)
simple-cdd (U)

George Danchev <dan...@spnet.net>
c++-annotations (U)

Debian Kolab Maintainers <pkg-kol...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
kolabadmin

Debian Mono Group <pkg-mon...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
beagle
evolution-sharp

Peter Eisentraut <pet...@debian.org>
kolabadmin (U)

Peter Van Eynde <pvan...@debian.org>
arnesi (U)
cl-portable-aserve
fiveam (U)
parenscript (U)
qbook (U)
s-utils
s-xml (U)
trivial-sockets (U)
yaclml (U)

Joao Eriberto Mota Filho <erib...@eriberto.pro.br>
jp2a
pacman4console

Gustavo Franco <str...@debian.org>
ltsp (U)
simple-cdd

Ionut Georgescu <geo...@pks.mpg.de>
grace
grace6

Thomas Girard <thomas....@free.fr>
stlport5.1 (U)

Sergei Golovan <sgol...@debian.org>
ejabberd (U)

Oliver Grawert <og...@ubuntu.com>
ltsp (U)

Grub Maintainers <pkg-gru...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
grub

Varun Hiremath <varunh...@gmail.com>
afuse
dvipng
epigrass
gastables
libjmac-java
libjspeex-java
libvorbisspi-java (U)
lybniz
magicrescue
model-builder
pidgin-libnotify
smbnetfs
txt2html
wmcpu
wmdate
wmforkplop
xpuzzles

Steffen Joeris <steffen...@skolelinux.de>
kolabadmin (U)

martin f. krafft <mad...@debian.org>
guessnet (U)

Noe¨l Koethe <no...@debian.org>
kolabadmin (U)

Carlos Laviola <clav...@debian.org>
fpc
lazarus
ltsp (U)

LTSP Debian/Ubuntu Maintainers <pkg-lts...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
ltsp

Ola Lundqvist <op...@debian.org>
txt2html (U)
xpuzzles (U)

Lionel Elie Mamane <lio...@mamane.lu>
txt2html (U)

tony mancill <tman...@debian.org>
c++-annotations (U)

Rene Mayorga <rmay...@debian.org.sv>
afbackup

Robert Millan <r...@debian.org>
grub (U)

jwchat packagers <pkg-j...@lists.debianforum.de>
jwchat

Christian Perrier <bub...@debian.org>
shadow (U)

Martin Quinson <mqui...@debian.org>
shadow (U)

Petter Reinholdtsen <pe...@debian.org>
ltsp (U)

Otavio Salvador <ota...@debian.org>
grub (U)
ltsp (U)

Shadow package maintainers <pkg-shad...@lists.alioth.debian.org>
shadow

Daniel Silverstone <dsil...@debian.org>
luasocket (U)

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <js...@debian.org>
beagle (U)
conduit
evolution-sharp (U)
goocanvas
pygoocanvas
pyspi

Philippe De Swert <philipp...@scarlet.be>
libhandoff (U)

Enrico Tassi <gareuse...@debian.org>
lua-cgi
lua-copas
lua-curl
lua-doc
lua-expat
lua-filesystem
lua-graph
lua-logging
lua-posix
lua-rings
lua-soap
lua-sql
lua-svn
lua-xmlrpc
lua-zip
lua5.1 (U)
lua5.1-policy
lua50
luasocket
xavante

Jason Thomas <ja...@debian.org>
grub (U)

Michael Vogt <m...@debian.org>
ltsp (U)

Torsten Werner <twe...@debian.org>
afbackup (U)
afuse (U)
dvipng (U)
ejabberd
epigrass (U)
fpc (U)
gastables (U)
grace (U)
grace6 (U)
jwchat (U)
lazarus (U)
libaopalliance-java
libavg
libcommons-attributes-java
libjamon-java
libjmac-java (U)
libjspeex-java (U)
libsexymm
libvorbisspi-java
lybniz (U)
magicrescue (U)
model-builder (U)
pidgin-libnotify (U)
smbnetfs (U)
stlport5.1
txt2html (U)
wmcpu (U)
wmdate (U)
wmforkplop (U)
xpuzzles (U)

Neil Williams <code...@debian.org>
libhandoff

Martin Würtele <ma...@debian.org>
arnesi (U)
fiveam (U)
parenscript (U)
qbook (U)
s-xml (U)
trivial-sockets (U)
yaclml (U)

Matt Zimmerman <m...@debian.org>
ltsp (U)

Enrico Zini <enr...@debian.org>
guessnet

--
,''`.
: :' : Romain Francoise <rfran...@debian.org>
`. `' http://people.debian.org/~rfrancoise/
`-

Christian Perrier

Nov 1, 2007, 3:50:06 AM11/1/07
Quoting Romain Francoise (rfran...@debian.org):
> Willi Mann <wi...@wm1.at> writes:
>
> > Why did you not search for XS-Vcs in general?
>
> Because packages using XS-Vcs-Browse are easy to catch, you can just
> look at the Sources file and filter on 'Vcs-Browse'. Since the
> other XS-Vcs-* fields get normalized to legit values, catching them
> requires unpacking all the source packages.
>
> BUT! you may be interested in the following packages, which use
> XS-X-Vcs-* headers and are also easy to catch:

So, these should now use Vsc-*: fields ?

For shadow, we have now:

XS-X-Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-shadow/trunk

So, we should use:

Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-shadow/trunk

(Or "Vcs-svn"?)

(we also should correct the URL as we recently integrated upstream in
our SVN repository and therefore changed the SVN layout, but that's
another story)

signature.asc

Stefano Zacchiroli

Nov 1, 2007, 5:10:10 AM11/1/07
On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 08:47:49AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> So, these should now use Vsc-*: fields ?

Yes.

> For shadow, we have now:
> XS-X-Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-shadow/trunk
> So, we should use:
> Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-shadow/trunk

Yes.

> (Or "Vcs-svn"?)

It wouldn't matter, field handling is case insensitive. But the most
widespread capitalization is Vcs-Svn, so let's stick to it.

For the sake of completeness, the matching Vcs-Browser field should be:

Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-shadow/trunk/

signature.asc

Luca Capello

Nov 8, 2007, 1:40:11 PM11/8/07
Hello!

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 19:39:23 +0100, Romain Francoise wrote:
> BUT! you may be interested in the following packages, which use
> XS-X-Vcs-* headers and are also easy to catch:

[...]

> Luca Capello <lu...@pca.it>
> arnesi
> fiveam
> parenscript
> qbook
> s-xml
> trivial-sockets
> yaclml

These have been corrected in the corresponding Debian VCSs [1] ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://cl-debian.alioth.debian.org/repository/lcapello/

Thomas Girard

Nov 17, 2007, 10:40:08 AM11/17/07
Hello,

Le mardi 30 octobre 2007 à 19:39 +0100, Romain Francoise a écrit :
[...]

> BUT! you may be interested in the following packages, which use
> XS-X-Vcs-* headers and are also easy to catch:

[...]

> Thomas Girard <thomas....@free.fr>
> stlport5.1 (U)

Fixed in svn, thanks!