RFS: gnome-specimen

Kartik Mistry

Jul 23, 2007, 3:10:07 AM7/23/07
Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gnome-specimen".

* Package name : gnome-specimen
Version : 0.3-1
Upstream Author : Wouter Bolsterlee <wbol...@gnome.org>
* License : GPL
Section : gnome

It builds these binary packages:
gnome-specimen - Simple font preview and compare application for Gnome

The package appears to be lintian/linda/pbuilder clean.

The upload would fix these bugs: 434250

main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-specimen/gnome-specimen_0.3-1.dsc

Cheers,

Mike Hommey

Jul 23, 2007, 4:50:11 PM7/23/07
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 12:35:17PM +0530, Kartik Mistry <kartik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gnome-specimen".
>
> * Package name : gnome-specimen
> Version : 0.3-1
> Upstream Author : Wouter Bolsterlee <wbol...@gnome.org>
> * License : GPL
> Section : gnome
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> gnome-specimen - Simple font preview and compare application for Gnome
>
> The package appears to be lintian/linda/pbuilder clean.
>
> The upload would fix these bugs: 434250

> main contrib non-free
> - dget
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-specimen/gnome-specimen_0.3-1.dsc

Just a few notes:
- In the manpage, I would add an article ('a') between "gnome-specimen
is" and "simple tool".
- In the manpage, still, most of the options (especially bonobo activation
and gnome library options) are pretty useless.
- I think you should build depend on python-dev instead of
python-all-dev.
- I don't really know cdbs, but i guess you can either put all your
build dependencies in build-depends or build-depends-indep.

I'm not confortable with sponsoring a package using cdbs, but if nobody
steps in, I will, since I'm very interested in having this in the
archive.

Cheers,

Mike

Kartik Mistry

Jul 23, 2007, 11:00:09 PM7/23/07
On 7/24/07, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 12:35:17PM +0530, Kartik Mistry <kartik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gnome-specimen".

Hi Mike,

First of all, thanks for looking at package!

> Just a few notes:
> - In the manpage, I would add an article ('a') between "gnome-specimen
> is" and "simple tool".

Done.

> - In the manpage, still, most of the options (especially bonobo activation
> and gnome library options) are pretty useless.

Hmm. It is meant for advance user or developer. But, should I keep it
or remove it. I think there is no harm to keep it in manpage.

> - I think you should build depend on python-dev instead of
> python-all-dev.

python-all-dev will make sure that all supported python version are
installed. correct me if I am wrong. python-dev is also ok in our
case.

> - I don't really know cdbs, but i guess you can either put all your
> build dependencies in build-depends or build-depends-indep.

Build-Depends: cdbs, debhelper (>= 5), python-central (>= 0.5)
Build-Depends-Indep: intltool, libgconf2-dev, python-dev (>= 2.4)

Right? cdbs, debhelper and python-central are require for clean target.

> I'm not confortable with sponsoring a package using cdbs, but if nobody
> steps in, I will, since I'm very interested in having this in the
> archive.

If you wish, I can convert it to debhelper, no problem :) Let me know,
I will upload corrected package.

Package with changes 1 & 3 are at:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-specimen/gnome-specimen_0.3-1.dsc

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Kartik Mistry | Eng: kartikmistry.org/blog
0xD1028C8D | Guj: kartikm.wordpress.com

Mike Hommey

Jul 24, 2007, 2:00:23 AM7/24/07
On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 08:22:02AM +0530, Kartik Mistry <kartik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/24/07, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 12:35:17PM +0530, Kartik Mistry
>> <kartik...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Dear mentors,
>> >
>> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gnome-specimen".
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> First of all, thanks for looking at package!
>
>> Just a few notes:
>> - In the manpage, I would add an article ('a') between "gnome-specimen
>> is" and "simple tool".
>
> Done.
>
>> - In the manpage, still, most of the options (especially bonobo activation
>> and gnome library options) are pretty useless.
>
> Hmm. It is meant for advance user or developer. But, should I keep it
> or remove it. I think there is no harm to keep it in manpage.

Advanced user or developers don't need useless items in a manpage ;)
What use can the --enable-esound flag be in gnome-speciment, for
example ?

For bonobo options, they are common to all gnome applications using
bonobo, do you really think it's necessary to repeat these instructions ?

And I'm not sure the modules loading functionality is of any use...

>> - I think you should build depend on python-dev instead of
>> python-all-dev.
>
> python-all-dev will make sure that all supported python version are
> installed. correct me if I am wrong. python-dev is also ok in our
> case.

I got misleaded by overlooking at the code of the resulting package.
Looking again, I see it's only a hack to be able to run modified version
from the source tree. Maybe you should remove that. It's useless in the
installed version, and adds python 2.4 paths even when using python 2.5,
which could have bad side effects.

Anyways, python-gnome2 only comes for python 2.4...

>> - I don't really know cdbs, but i guess you can either put all your
>> build dependencies in build-depends or build-depends-indep.
>
> Build-Depends: cdbs, debhelper (>= 5), python-central (>= 0.5)
> Build-Depends-Indep: intltool, libgconf2-dev, python-dev (>= 2.4)
>
> Right? cdbs, debhelper and python-central are require for clean target.

Fair enough.

>> I'm not confortable with sponsoring a package using cdbs, but if nobody
>> steps in, I will, since I'm very interested in having this in the
>> archive.
>
> If you wish, I can convert it to debhelper, no problem :) Let me know,
> I will upload corrected package.

Let's first see if someone wants to take care of this.

Mike

Kartik Mistry

Jul 24, 2007, 3:30:12 AM7/24/07
On 7/24/07, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:
> >> Just a few notes:
> >> - In the manpage, still, most of the options (especially bonobo activation
> >> and gnome library options) are pretty useless.
> >
> > Hmm. It is meant for advance user or developer. But, should I keep it
> > or remove it. I think there is no harm to keep it in manpage.
>
> Advanced user or developers don't need useless items in a manpage ;)
> What use can the --enable-esound flag be in gnome-speciment, for
> example ?

Ok. Removed ;)

> For bonobo options, they are common to all gnome applications using
> bonobo, do you really think it's necessary to repeat these instructions ?
>
> And I'm not sure the modules loading functionality is of any use...

Done.

> >> - I think you should build depend on python-dev instead of
> >> python-all-dev.
> >
> > python-all-dev will make sure that all supported python version are
> > installed. correct me if I am wrong. python-dev is also ok in our
> > case.
>
> I got misleaded by overlooking at the code of the resulting package.
> Looking again, I see it's only a hack to be able to run modified version
> from the source tree. Maybe you should remove that. It's useless in the
> installed version, and adds python 2.4 paths even when using python 2.5,
> which could have bad side effects.
>
> Anyways, python-gnome2 only comes for python 2.4...

Ok. python-dev as dependency.

> >> I'm not confortable with sponsoring a package using cdbs, but if nobody
> >> steps in, I will, since I'm very interested in having this in the
> >> archive.
> >
> > If you wish, I can convert it to debhelper, no problem :) Let me know,
> > I will upload corrected package.
>
> Let's first see if someone wants to take care of this.

Hmm. Looking for someone to pick up. Corrected package:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-specimen/gnome-specimen_0.3-1.dsc

Cheers,
Kartik Mistry | Eng: kartikmistry.org/blog
0xD1028C8D | Guj: kartikm.wordpress.com

Kartik Mistry

Jul 25, 2007, 4:20:11 AM7/25/07
On 7/24/07, Kartik Mistry <kartik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. Looking for someone to pick up. Corrected package:
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gnome-specimen/gnome-specimen_0.3-1.dsc

Hi,

I am looking for sponsor of this package. I have corrected it
according to Mike's guidance.

Thanks,