RFS: hiredis - Minimalistic C client library for Redis

Alessandro Ghedini

Feb 21, 2011, 2:10:03 PM2/21/11
Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "hiredis".

* Package name : hiredis
Version : 0.9.2-1
Upstream Author : Salvatore Sanfilippo <ant...@gmail.com>
* License : BSD-3-Clause
Section : libs

It builds these binary packages:
libhiredis0-dev - Minimalistic C client library for Redis (development files)
libhiredis0 - Minimalistic C client library for Redis

The upload would fix these bugs: 612601 (ITP)

My motivation for maintaining this package is: There is no C library
for interacting with the Redis database in the Debian repository (only Perl,
PHP, Erlang and Python AFAIK). It is also the official C client library
for Redis (it is written by Redis' authors) and I think it is a good
candidate to enter the Debian repository.

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/h/hiredis/hiredis_0.9.2-1.dsc

And on git.debian.org:
- gbp-clone git://git.debian.org/collab-maint/hiredis.git

Kind regards
Alessandro Ghedini

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'

Michael Tautschnig

May 1, 2011, 1:40:01 PM5/1/11

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "hiredis".
>
> * Package name : hiredis
> Version : 0.9.2-1
> Upstream Author : Salvatore Sanfilippo <ant...@gmail.com>
> * License : BSD-3-Clause
> Section : libs

[...]

The package looks mostly fine, just one major problem: all files in adapter/ and
the example* and test.c files lack both copyright and license information.
Please persuade upstream to get this fixed.

Best regards,
Michael

Alessandro Ghedini

May 2, 2011, 4:00:02 PM5/2/11
On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 06:34:08PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "hiredis".
> >
> > * Package name : hiredis
> > Version : 0.9.2-1
> > Upstream Author : Salvatore Sanfilippo <ant...@gmail.com>
> > * License : BSD-3-Clause
> > Section : libs
> >
> [...]
>
> The package looks mostly fine,

Thanks for reviewing. I've uploaded to mentors.d.n a new version of the
package based on the new upstream release (0.10.0).

- Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
contrib non-free

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/h/hiredis/hiredis_0.10.0-1.dsc

Some other "major" changes have been the bump to Standards-Verion 3.9.2,
the inclusion of the pkg-config file made by Andriy Senkovych, some patches
have been reworked (mainly to reflect upstream sources), and the rename of
the -dev package from libhiredis0-dev to libhiredis-dev.

Could you please review the new version as well?

> just one major problem: all files in adapter/ and
> the example* and test.c files lack both copyright and license information.
> Please persuade upstream to get this fixed.

I'm going to contact upstream as soon as possible. Thanks for the pointer.
What would be a viable solution? I mean, is a new upstream release needed,
or just a statement from the upstream author (e.g. on the project's
bugtracker, to which d/copyright will point) is enough? The second solution
does not exlude the first of course (the files will be fixed in a
subsequent release) but would permit the package to enter Debian without
waiting and to not block other packages that depend on this (e.g. webdis
which is an ITP).

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20110502195...@PC-Ale.WAG300N

Michael Tautschnig

Jun 25, 2011, 1:30:01 PM6/25/11

Sorry for getting back to this with such a large delay.

[...]

> > just one major problem: all files in adapter/ and
> > the example* and test.c files lack both copyright and license information.
> > Please persuade upstream to get this fixed.
>
> I'm going to contact upstream as soon as possible. Thanks for the pointer.
> What would be a viable solution? I mean, is a new upstream release needed,
> or just a statement from the upstream author (e.g. on the project's
> bugtracker, to which d/copyright will point) is enough? The second solution
> does not exlude the first of course (the files will be fixed in a
> subsequent release) but would permit the package to enter Debian without
> waiting and to not block other packages that depend on this (e.g. webdis
> which is an ITP).

I've uploaded your package as-is. Yet it would be nice if upstream could, with a
future new upstream release, add all this information to the source files.

Best regards,
Michael

Alessandro Ghedini

Jun 27, 2011, 6:30:02 AM6/27/11
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 06:27:50PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> Sorry for getting back to this with such a large delay.

No problem.

Great, thank you very much. Regarding the missing copyright and license
issue, I have opened a ticket upstream, and, hopefully, it will get a fix
soon.

Thank you again

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'