problems autobuilding contrib packages

Carlo Segre

Apr 17, 2008, 12:00:22 PM4/17/08

Hello All:

I am continually running into a problem with one of my contrib packages
(ifeffit). Unfortunately it depends on two non-free packages to build
(pgplot5, latex2html). Some of the buildd machines build this package
without problems if they have the non-free sources in sources.list.
unfortunately, a number of architectures do not include the non-free
sources and for some architectures, it varies from machine to machine (arm
is one of these architectures). I have requested the inclusion of the
non-free sources but some buildd admins will just not include them and
others don't even reply. This means that I have to build all the
architectures by hand.

I have solved the problem for some architectures by getting my own build
cluster (amd64, arm, mips, sparc, alpha, powerpc) but I just don't have
them all.

Is there anyone there who has hppa or mipsel machines who would be
willing to build and upload those arch-specific binaries? I would be
happy to reciprocate with the architectures I have available to me.

It would be nice to have a long term solution to this (apart form
convincing upstream not to use non-free dependencies), but I at least want
to keep the package moving into testing.

Frustrated,

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology

Goswin von Brederlow

Apr 17, 2008, 2:00:18 PM4/17/08
Carlo Segre <se...@iit.edu> writes:

> Hello All:
>
> I am continually running into a problem with one of my contrib
> packages (ifeffit). Unfortunately it depends on two non-free packages
> to build (pgplot5, latex2html). Some of the buildd machines build
> this package without problems if they have the non-free sources in
> sources.list. unfortunately, a number of architectures do not include
> the non-free sources and for some architectures, it varies from
> machine to machine (arm is one of these architectures). I have
> requested the inclusion of the non-free sources but some buildd admins
> will just not include them and others don't even reply. This means
> that I have to build all the architectures by hand.
>
> I have solved the problem for some architectures by getting my own
> build cluster (amd64, arm, mips, sparc, alpha, powerpc) but I just
> don't have them all.
>
> Is there anyone there who has hppa or mipsel machines who would be
> willing to build and upload those arch-specific binaries? I would be
> happy to reciprocate with the architectures I have available to me.
>
> It would be nice to have a long term solution to this (apart form
> convincing upstream not to use non-free dependencies), but I at least
> want to keep the package moving into testing.
>
> Frustrated,
>
> Carlo

Talk to aba (Andreas barth) who manages the non-free buildds.

MfG
Goswin

Carlo Segre

Apr 17, 2008, 3:30:15 PM4/17/08
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Talk to aba (Andreas barth) who manages the non-free buildds.

Actually, I suggested to the non-free buildd admins that they allow
selected contrib packages to be built on the non-free network but I have
not gotten a response back yet. That would be a good solution and could
be flagged by having the package contain the "XS-Autobuild: yes" line in
the debian/control file.

Carlo

--
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498 Fax: 312.567.3494
se...@iit.edu http://www.iit.edu/~segre se...@debian.org

Goswin von Brederlow

Apr 18, 2008, 1:50:15 AM4/18/08
Carlo Segre <se...@iit.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>

>> Talk to aba (Andreas barth) who manages the non-free buildds.
>>

> Actually, I suggested to the non-free buildd admins that they allow
> selected contrib packages to be built on the non-free network but I
> have not gotten a response back yet. That would be a good solution
> and could be flagged by having the package contain the "XS-Autobuild:
> yes" line in the debian/control file.
>
> Carlo

Try irc.debian.org #debian-devel or mail again. I never had problems
contacting Andreas before unlike some others.

MfG
Goswin