RFS: xburst-tools

Xiangfu Liu

Jun 3, 2010, 12:40:02 PM6/3/10
Dear mentors,

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xburst-tools".

* Package name : xburst-tools
Version : 0.0+201006-0.1
Upstream Author : Xiangfu Liu <xian...@gmail.com>
* License : GPLv3
Section : misc

It builds these binary packages:
xburst-tools - tools for Ingenic XBurst CPU USB boot and NAND flash access
one of the Ingenic Xburst device is [Ben NanoNote] http://www.qi-hardware.com

- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xburst-tools/xburst-tools_0.0+201006-0.1.dsc

Please give me some feedback of the source code.

Kind regards
Xiangfu Liu
http://www.openmobilefree.net

Paul Wise

Jun 3, 2010, 10:50:01 PM6/3/10
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Xiangfu Liu <xian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xburst-tools".

Here is a review:

Please get the 2 patches upstream.

Please add DEP-3 headers top the patches and remove the default headers.

One of the patches adds a patch to the top level directory, please
make it patch the code instead!!!!

SInce you are upstream, please move as much as of the build system
upstream and out of the debian/ directory, which is meant to be a
wrapper around the upstream build system.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin5ksP8vQrpuPAyx...@mail.gmail.com

Paul Wise

Jun 3, 2010, 11:00:01 PM6/3/10
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Paul Wise <pa...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Xiangfu Liu <xian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xburst-tools".
>
> Here is a review:

Bah, hit send too early, sorry for the double mail.

Please remove these prebuilt files from the debian/ directory and
don't add them to the upstream tarball.

./debian/xburst_stage1.bin
./debian/xburst_stage2.bin
./debian/stage1.bin

You include an embedded code copy (or fork) of the Qi bootloader.
Please remove it and package Qi separately. I wonder if usbboot/ is
also an embedded code copy.

Please use 'make distcheck' to produce a tarball for release and for
the Debian orig.tar.gz

The README.source indicates that this requires a cross-compiler for
MIPS in the $PATH. Since we don't have one in Debian yet, your package
cannot be uploaded as-is. You could however, build and upload from a
MIPS machine with gcc installed.

I stopped here, there are way too many huge issues to consider
reviewing it fully.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinUuf8gnApMBN3Jo...@mail.gmail.com

Paul Wise

Jun 3, 2010, 11:10:02 PM6/3/10
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Paul Wise <pa...@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Paul Wise <pa...@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Xiangfu Liu <xian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xburst-tools".
>>
>> Here is a review:
>
> I stopped here, there are way too many huge issues to consider
> reviewing it fully.

PS: I think it is really really awesome that Qi Hardware / Sharism are
trying to get their hardware supported by plain Debian, please do not
get discouraged by my review.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinLt06tZqSTTsnGI...@mail.gmail.com

Jonathan Nieder

Jun 5, 2010, 12:20:01 AM6/5/10

Paul Wise wrote:

> Please remove these prebuilt files from the debian/ directory and
> don't add them to the upstream tarball.
>
> ./debian/xburst_stage1.bin
> ./debian/xburst_stage2.bin
> ./debian/stage1.bin

[...]

> The README.source indicates that this requires a cross-compiler for
> MIPS in the $PATH. Since we don't have one in Debian yet, your package
> cannot be uploaded as-is. You could however, build and upload from a
> MIPS machine with gcc installed.

This part was my doing, sorry. It should be possible to build these
on mipsel (and they should probably be split out to an arch-all
package anyway), but that makes it difficult for people without access
to a non-pocket-sized MIPS machine to test the build process. From

http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?sortby=architecture&sortorder=asc

I infer that there is not even a mipsel porterbox available to DDs.

Would the cross-compiled version would be a candidate for contrib?

The correct long-term solution, of course, is to get gcc-mips into
Debian. Anyone with ideas about how to make that happen?

> You include an embedded code copy (or fork) of the Qi bootloader.
> Please remove it and package Qi separately. I wonder if usbboot/ is
> also an embedded code copy.

The source package is based on the upstream xburst-tools repository;
it probably should be split into separate packages for qiboot, xbboot,
usbboot, and so on, since they do not depend at build-time or run-time
on one another. It is not my impression that these have been split
already.

The piece most people currently use is usbboot (which is based on a
Windows tool from Ingenic). Earlier versions of the packaging
included just that.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010060504...@progeny.tock

Paul Wise

Jun 5, 2010, 12:40:01 AM6/5/10
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This part was my doing, sorry.  It should be possible to build these
> on mipsel (and they should probably be split out to an arch-all
> package anyway), but that makes it difficult for people without access
> to a non-pocket-sized MIPS machine to test the build process.  From
>
>  http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?sortby=architecture&sortorder=asc
>
> I infer that there is not even a mipsel porterbox available to DDs.

Seems that is the case, things are improving though:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/04/msg00010.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/05/msg00005.html

A temporary solution to this would be to find a sponsor with a Debian
mips/mipsel install on MIPS hardware. Some pointers to possible places
to find such people can be found here (page needs updating btw):

http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/

Alternatively get sharism.cc to donate/lend a Ben NanoNote to some
willing person. I imagine

> Would the cross-compiled version would be a candidate for contrib?

I think yes. I assume this woud be a source package that build-depends
on the gcc MIPS cross compiler package generated by the new buildcross
package in unstable.

> The correct long-term solution, of course, is to get gcc-mips into
> Debian.  Anyone with ideas about how to make that happen?

One option is to update the gcc-X.Y source packages to build
gcc-X.Y-mips cross-compiler packages on i386/amd64. This means a lot
of extra buildd and maintainer build time.

The approach taken by gcc-mingw32 (cross-compiler for Windows 32-bit
and 64-bit) seems to be to duplicate the gcc source code.

Something that may be possible down the track, once the Debian archive
can support source package synchronisation (for license compliance),
is to create gcc-X.Y-mips source packages that build-depend on
gcc-X.Y-source and build and ship a cross-compilers from them.

> The source package is based on the upstream xburst-tools repository;
> it probably should be split into separate packages for qiboot, xbboot,
> usbboot, and so on, since they do not depend at build-time or run-time
> on one another.  It is not my impression that these have been split
> already.

Sounds good to me.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin9enH27bhiQ7hmm...@mail.gmail.com

Jonathan Nieder

Jun 5, 2010, 1:40:01 AM6/5/10
Paul Wise wrote:

> I assume this woud be a source package that build-depends
> on the gcc MIPS cross compiler package generated by the new buildcross
> package in unstable.

Oh! Thanks for the pointer.

> Something that may be possible down the track, once the Debian archive
> can support source package synchronisation (for license compliance),
> is to create gcc-X.Y-mips source packages that build-depend on
> gcc-X.Y-source and build and ship a cross-compilers from them.

Ah, so dak is the place to fix this[1]? Very good, will take a look...

> Sounds good to me.

Thanks for all the advice.

Regards,
Jonathan

[1] I remember
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/11/msg00001.html
but was not aware of anything coming of it.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010060505...@progeny.tock

Paul Wise

Jun 5, 2010, 1:50:01 AM6/5/10
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, so dak is the place to fix this[1]?  Very good, will take a look...

Yes. I'm sure the ftpmasters would be very grateful for a helping hand there.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinUtQ3112K8T0xp5...@mail.gmail.com

Adam Borowski

Jun 5, 2010, 7:40:02 AM6/5/10
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:38:15PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This part was my doing, sorry.  It should be possible to build these
> > on mipsel [...], but that makes it difficult for people without access

> > to a non-pocket-sized MIPS machine to test the build process.  From
> >
> >  http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?sortby=architecture&sortorder=asc
> >
> > I infer that there is not even a mipsel porterbox available to DDs.
>
> A temporary solution to this would be to find a sponsor with a Debian
> mips/mipsel install on MIPS hardware.

Is there any reason qemu-mipsel isn't good enough?

You can find a detailed howto at:
http://www.aurel32.net/info/debian_mips_qemu.php

but if you want just an usable system ASAP, go straight to:
http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/mipsel/

and two wgets and apt-get install qemu later, you're one command away from
fully working lenny. It's not a speed demon so dist-upgrade further will
take a while, but then, the real thing isn't fast either...

Meow!
--
1KB // Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
// Never attribute to stupidity what can be

signature.asc

Paul Wise

Jun 5, 2010, 8:10:02 AM6/5/10
On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Adam Borowski <kilo...@angband.pl> wrote:

> Is there any reason qemu-mipsel isn't good enough?

There was a concern (flamewar) a few years ago that doing that would
result in broken binaries. I don't know how true that would be today
or if it is now consider acceptible.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTilz-yqWgFphlW6Zg...@mail.gmail.com

Adam Borowski

Jun 5, 2010, 8:30:02 AM6/5/10
On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 07:59:58PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Adam Borowski <kilo...@angband.pl> wrote:

> > Is there any reason qemu-mipsel isn't good enough?
>
> There was a concern (flamewar) a few years ago that doing that would
> result in broken binaries. I don't know how true that would be today
> or if it is now consider acceptible.

qemu-user-*, I can understand that. But qemu-system-*, which emulates the
whole machine? Unless there is some insidious bug in qemu which shows up
only for some rare opcode or for some corner case of hardware access, I
can't see how it is supposed to produce broken binaries. Unless you get
close to the metal, things either work or not.

--

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/2010060512...@angband.pl