manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/picprog.1.gz

Jan Wagemakers

Mar 11, 2006, 4:40:11 PM3/11/06
Hello,

I have build a deb-package for picprog 1.8[*]. However, when I run lintian,
I get this error:

| pts/3 jan ~/deb$ lintian picprog_1.8-1_i386.changes
| W: picprog: manpage-has-errors-from-man usr/share/man/man1/picprog.1.gz 44: warning: can't find numbered character 195
| pts/3 jan ~/deb$

I have found that when I set LANG to C and run 'man picprog.1' I indeed get a
warning:

| pts/3 jan ~/deb$ man -P cat -l picprog-1.8/picprog.1
| Reformatting picprog.1, please wait...
| picprog-1.8/picprog.1:44: warning: can't find numbered character 195
| picprog-1.8/picprog.1:44: warning: can't find numbered character 164
| PICPROG(1) PICPROG(1)
[cut]

In this manpage the character "ä" is used twice. When I change those ä's with a
"a" the warnings disappear.

My question :

How should I handle this? I can modify picprog.1, but the ä is used in the name
of the programmer of picprog (Jaakko Hyvätti) so I don't know if that is really
a good idea?

[*] <http://www.janw.easynet.be/picprog.html>
<http://hyvatti.iki.fi/~jaakko/pic/picprog.html>

--
Met vriendelijke groetjes - Jan Wagemakers -

... My home build PIC18f452(4Mhz) Embedded Web Server...
<http://janw.dyndns.org:18452/>

Erik Schanze

Mar 11, 2006, 5:20:15 PM3/11/06
Hi Jan

Jan Wagemakers Jan Wagemakers <ja...@easynet.be>:

> | pts/3 jan ~/deb$ lintian picprog_1.8-1_i386.changes
> | W: picprog: manpage-has-errors-from-man
> | usr/share/man/man1/picprog.1.gz 44: warning: can't find numbered
> | character 195 pts/3 jan ~/deb$
>

> In this manpage the character "ä" is used twice. When I change those
> ä's with a "a" the warnings disappear.
>
> My question :
>
> How should I handle this?

You shuld escape umlauts in manpages.
Please see groff_char(7).
And send it upstream as a patch.

Kindly regards,

Erik

--
www.ErikSchanze.de *********************************************
Bitte keine HTML-E-Mails! No HTML mails, please! Limit: 100 kB *

Russ Allbery

Mar 11, 2006, 5:30:15 PM3/11/06
Jan Wagemakers <ja...@easynet.be> writes:

> In this manpage the character "ä" is used twice. When I change those ä's
> with a "a" the warnings disappear.

> My question :

> How should I handle this? I can modify picprog.1, but the ä is used in
> the name of the programmer of picprog (Jaakko Hyvätti) so I don't know
> if that is really a good idea?

Replace ä with \[:a]. Upstream may not be able to do this since this is a
groff-specific thing, but it's safe to do in Debian.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org) <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Jan Wagemakers

Mar 12, 2006, 2:10:10 AM3/12/06
Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> schreef:

[ä in man page]

>> How should I handle this? I can modify picprog.1, but the ä is used in
>> the name of the programmer of picprog (Jaakko Hyvätti) so I don't know
>> if that is really a good idea?
> Replace ä with \[:a].

Great! I have fixed picprog.1 and now the warning is gone. Thanks!

--
Met vriendelijke groetjes - Jan Wagemakers -

... My other computer is a Sun Javastation Krups
<http://javastation.is.dreaming.org>

Jan Wagemakers

Mar 12, 2006, 2:20:06 AM3/12/06
Erik Schanze <scha...@gmx.de> schreef:

[ä in man page]

> You shuld escape umlauts in manpages.
> Please see groff_char(7).

Interesting. Thanks for pointing me to that man page!

--
Met vriendelijke groetjes - Jan Wagemakers -

... http://janw.wisclub.org/