Linux-libre for Debian Lenny

Robert Millan

Apr 23, 2009, 5:30:13 AM4/23/09

As you probably know, back in December last year it was decided [1] that the
Linux package shipped with Debian Lenny would include non-free code in it
(so-called "blobs" of binary-only firmware).

While the majority of the project supported this decision, it is still true
that many of us users and developers feel strongly committed to freedom, and
would rather reject the practical benefit of that code than submit ourselves
to the restrictions that come with it.

This is to announce that Debian packages of Linux-libre [2] are now available
for Lenny users who want to use them:

deb http://people.debian.org/~rmh/linux-libre lenny main

Archive key is attached in this signed mail; it is also available from:

http://people.debian.org/~rmh/linux-libre/archive-key.asc

Builds for i386, amd64 and powerpc are available. They're based on the Linux
2.6.26 version that came with Lenny, which I plan to regularly resync with
the latest version from the Security Team (as time permits).

Enjoy

[1] http://www.debian.org/vote/2008/vote_003
[2] http://fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

--