32 or 64 bit

Leif Asbrink

Nov 1, 2009, 3:57:43 PM11/1/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Under Linux the Linrad configure script looks for various files
to decide which packages are installed. This works for 32 bit
versions of Linux, but when Linrad is compiled on a 64 bit
distribution the test for things like libXext.so which is done
like below may give a false positive.

LIBEXT=0
AC_CHECK_FILE( /emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libXext.so, LIBEXT="1")
AC_CHECK_FILE( /usr/lib/libXext.so, LIBEXT="1")
AC_CHECK_FILE( [libXext.so], LIBEXT="1")
AC_CHECK_FILE( /usr/lib32/libXext.so, LIBEXT="1")
AC_CHECK_FILE( /usr/PCBSD/local/lib/libXext.so, LIBEXT="1")

The second and/or third test would give a false positive if
the 64 bit version is installed but not the 32 bit version
when running on a 64 bit distribution. Less likely, but possibly
there could be a false positive when the 64 bit library is
installed but not the 32 bit one on a 32 bit system.
As a consequence of a false positive the make command would
try to link with libXext and it would fail if there is no
32 bit library present.

The next version of Linrad will have an interface to Portaudio
which will allow Jack to interface to other softwares - but it
would have to be 32 bit portaudio. I desperately need a way
for the configure script to search for the presence of 32 bit
libraries only. One way could be to to do the test for
[libXext] and /usr/lib/libXext only on 32 bit distributions.
- but what command would tell if the system is 32 or 64 bit?

Any hints?

73

Leif / SM5BSZ

Ken Beals

Nov 1, 2009, 10:20:56 PM11/1/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Leif:

I'm certainly no serious programmer, so maybe this is not what you want:

uname -m

I only have 32 bit systems here, so it reports 'i686' on those (could
also be i386/i486/i586). My understanding is that 64 bit systems
return 'x86_64'.

Ken K6MR

ADE - Carsten Gabriel

Nov 2, 2009, 3:05:12 AM11/2/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
hello all

I use a system with 8 times 14ele XPol antennas.
I use Linrad 0308 in weak siganl CW and WSE
Setings for POL is:
0
+
Auto

Channel 1 - horizontal
Channel 2 - vertikal

now Linrad calculated the pol 90 deg wrong !!!
I checked with TS2000 and WSJT and the signals
from the WSE / Linrad with 90 deg are all only on hori.

When i change the antenna Inputson the WSE , i get the
right pol. calkulation.

In MAP65 i have the problem , that i can see a trace - but MAP65 dignt
decode it
automaticly. When i catch the QRG and decode manuelly sometime its work.
?

Any one knows this ?

best 73 de Carsten
DM1CG

Leif Asbrink

Nov 2, 2009, 9:56:42 PM11/2/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken and Pierre,

> I'm certainly no serious programmer, so maybe this is not what you want:
>
> uname -m
>
> I only have 32 bit systems here, so it reports 'i686' on those (could
> also be i386/i486/i586). My understanding is that 64 bit systems
> return 'x86_64'.

Yes. Thanks. I verified this on my Xeon system with 64 bit Suse.

I feel a bit uneasy about this method because when there are changes in
the 64 bit architecture in the future, maybe the -m would report someting
else....

Fortunately the hint from Pierre:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1257119123909+28353475&threadId=1193870
helped to this command:

getconf LONG_BIT

There is a man page about getconf - but I can not find the
parameter value LONG_BIT anywhere among the defined parameters.
As it turns out the old RedHat 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12) already has
this function and returns 32 so I decided to use it.

Problem solved:-)

73

Leif / SM5BSZ

Chris

Nov 2, 2009, 10:47:46 PM11/2/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that simply telling you if the OS is 32 or 64 bit? You can have 32 installed on a 64 bit platform.

Or was that the original question?

Leif Asbrink

Nov 3, 2009, 8:21:46 AM11/3/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

> Isn't that simply telling you if the OS is 32 or 64 bit?
> You can have 32 installed on a 64 bit platform.
>
> Or was that the original question?

Yes:-)

The problem was to know what libraries to look for with the
configure script.

Linrad can use optional packages but they may be
difficult to install for newcomers. Therefore the configure
script will give informative (hopefully) messages about
what options that could be added.
For Linrad-03.09 they are:

alsa development (to have native alsa)
extra X11 (to have fast graphics with MIT-SHM)
jack (to connect other programs to the Linrad audio output)
svgalib (to run without X11)

The 32 bit jack version has to be installed when Linrad
runs on a 64 bit OS. That is the problem I needed to solve.
If jack is present as a 64 bit package only Linrad can not
use it and will compile portaudio without jack.
(If portaudio is available)

73

Leif / SM5BSZ

Leif Asbrink

Nov 3, 2009, 8:37:36 AM11/3/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carsten,

> I use a system with 8 times 14ele XPol antennas.
> I use Linrad 0308 in weak siganl CW and WSE
> Setings for POL is:
> 0
> +
> Auto
>
> Channel 1 - horizontal
> Channel 2 - vertikal
>
> now Linrad calculated the pol 90 deg wrong !!!
> I checked with TS2000 and WSJT and the signals
> from the WSE / Linrad with 90 deg are all only on hori.
>
> When i change the antenna Inputson the WSE , i get the
> right pol. calkulation.
Maybe the cables are crossed somewhere....

> In MAP65 i have the problem , that i can see a trace - but MAP65 dignt
> decode it
> automaticly. When i catch the QRG and decode manuelly sometime its work.
>

> Any one knows this ?

Besides having the correct signal level into MAP65 you must also
have the correct time. Maybe WSJT searches in a slightly wider range
of time offsets than MAP65. Look for the time of those transmissions
that decode and make sure they fall well within the search window.
I do not have the details, but they should be available somewhere.
Something like -2 < dt < 5

73

Leif / SM5BSZ

ADE - Carsten Gabriel

Nov 3, 2009, 9:22:17 AM11/3/09
to lin...@googlegroups.com
Hello Leif

Tnx

I know that the cables OK , but will check them again.

> Besides having the correct signal level into MAP65 you must also
what is the right level ?

> you must also have the correct time
The time in Linrad is the same as in MAP65 - same PC - .
- sync by Dimension 4

What is the way to calibrate the WSE and the filters ?
What level the WSE need for calibrate ?

I thing we have running a very good system but used only 10% from it
in the Moment

best 73
de Carsten