Trouble building link parser 4.7.4 on Mac OS X

Peter Szolovits

Jun 28, 2011, 12:12:57 PM6/28/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
I have run into a strange problem and wonder if anyone else has a similar experience and/or knows a work-around.

I run on three different machines, two 2009 Mac Pros and a late 2008 Macbook Pro. They are configured as similarly as possible (not counting hardware), all now running OS X 10.6.8. I recently tried to "get current" with the 4.7.4 version of the link parser, and have the following odd problem.

On the Macbook Pro, everything works fine. I downloaded the .gz file, expanded it, moved into that directory, ran ./configure without errors, ran make and then sudo make install, and all is as it should be. However, repeating the same steps on either Mac Pro causes an error during the ./configure process:

> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for nawk... no
> checking for awk... awk
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> configure: error: in `/Users/psz/Downloads/link-grammar-4.7.4':
> See `config.log' for more details.

config.log contains the following:
> configure:3097: gcc conftest.c >&5
> ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.6.o
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

After this, of course, make fails with tons of errors.

However, when I do a find on "crt1.10.6.o", I discover that on both machines the file exists at
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib/crt1.10.6.o
I have also checked that the two files are identical. I have also checked, and the shell's PATH on both systems is the same, though neither seems to include these Mac OS X SDK directories.

In addition, I have tried to copy the directory after the ./config from my Macbook Pro to a Mac Pro and then do make there, but that fails as well.

I cannot explain what the difference(s) might be between these systems, or why I am unable to build the link parser on either Mac Pro.

Solutions or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you. --Peter Szolovits

Linas Vepstas

Jun 28, 2011, 2:26:05 PM6/28/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
I know nothing about macs .. but ..

If you look at the lines just above configure:3097 you will see
that its trying to compile a program that looks like this:

int
main ()
{

;
return 0;
}

using gcc ... and this fails. If you do this from the command line,
does it work?

The location of such low-level files is usually wired in deeply into gcc, at
the time that it got installed. Did you change/modify gcc recently? Upgrade?

such paths can be over-ridden with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or the analogous
on Macs), and can be specified in /etc/ldconfig.conf (or analogous) but
these shouldn't really require tweaking.

--linas

Linas Vepstas

Jun 28, 2011, 2:28:08 PM6/28/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
Also ..
typing in " ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.6.o" into google
does offer some hints ...

--linas

Peter Szolovits

Jun 28, 2011, 5:22:51 PM6/28/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much. Googling the problem helped, as I found a suggestion to add the following lines to my .profile file:

export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/include

export LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib

(actually, the advice was older, and for 10.5, but I can transpose!) This works. I'm still mystified why I was having this problem on the Mac Pros but not the Macbook Pro. But at least I'm back in operation. Thanks again. --Pete

Joel Pitt

Jun 28, 2011, 8:50:26 PM6/28/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

On 29 June 2011 05:22, Peter Szolovits <p...@mit.edu> wrote:
> Thank you very much.  Googling the problem helped, as I found a suggestion to add the following lines to my .profile file:
>
> export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/include
>
> export LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib
>
> (actually, the advice was older, and for 10.5, but I can transpose!)  This works.  I'm still mystified why I was having this problem on the Mac Pros but not the Macbook Pro.  But at least I'm back in operation.  Thanks again.  --Pete

If you're working with dynamic libraries, it may be worth reading
about dyld and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH at some point. I had to use these
extensively in porting a large project to OSX 10.6 (OpenCog).

Dennis Desmarais

Aug 6, 2014, 12:06:04 PM8/6/14
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
Dear Peter, et. al.:

Perhaps this is not the place to post this, but can you point me to installation instructions for LinkGrammar on OS X for the Mac?

Thanks and apologies, Dennis