Building MT with LG

kiddo

Aug 17, 2011, 9:08:14 AM8/17/11
to link-grammar
HI all, I am a new comer.

I want to make a research about "building MT with LG", from English to
Indonesian (though someone had done it), but I can't find any article
or paper that give me some clues about this stuff.

I had tried the English-German translator with LG (http://
www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/submit-to-translator.html)
But, I still don't get the specific technique to accomplish it.

I hope there are some articles or papers which can give me more
understanding about building MT with LG.

- - - - -

Regards

Kiddo

Linas Vepstas

Aug 17, 2011, 1:08:28 PM8/17/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com, opencog, Blake A Lemoine
Hi,

Well, the web page:

http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/trans-explanation.html

does explain a bit more. I quick search with google doesn't find any papers
on the topic. You might try emailing the original authors.

Anyway, I have not tried to use the translator, nor have I used it;
I'm not even sure I have the source code ...

It might be better/easier to convert the link-grammar linkages into
relex-style dependencies, translate the words, and then convert back.
This is the approach that opencog is using for NLgen. Look at the
papers on nlgen and on nlgen2 (which is a different approach).

--linas

Ani

Aug 22, 2011, 3:23:52 PM8/22/11
to link-grammar
Hi Linas,

Even I am trying something similar to what the Original Poster
mentioned.
From the LG source I downloaded from AbiWord site, I didn't find the
German translation source.
I haven't looked into RelEx/Opencog, but, are there any such sample
translation programs/effort done with RelEx ?
If so, can you please point me to the source?

thanks.
--
Ani

On Aug 17, 10:08 pm, Linas Vepstas <linasveps...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

Linas Vepstas

Aug 22, 2011, 4:24:38 PM8/22/11
to link-g...@googlegroups.com
On 22 August 2011 14:23, Ani <aniru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Linas,
>
> Even I am trying something similar to what the Original Poster
> mentioned.
> From the LG source I downloaded from AbiWord site, I didn't find the
> German  translation source.

I don't believe that the source code for the engliish-german
translator is available on any web site that I know of; you would
have to contact the original authors for that.

> I haven't looked into RelEx/Opencog, but, are there any such sample
> translation programs/effort done with RelEx ?

No, this has never been done with opencog/relex

--linas