Flot 0.6 Upgrade Breaking Change Question

Peter Robinett

Feb 4, 2010, 7:07:14 PM2/4/10
to Lift
Hello all,

Please tell me if you are using the lift-flot module. I am working on
upgrading it to Flot 0.6 and as Aaron noted[1], Flot has switched to a
slightly new format of specifying options. However, they have kept
backwards compatibility, meaning that we could upgrade to the latest
version of Flot without changing the way series options are specified.
Would you prefer to have a breaking change in lift-flot now in order
to ensure future compatibility or would you like to put off this
change until a future version of Flot drops support for this now
depreciated format?

Peter

[1]: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/a25a93f55c181475

David Pollak

Feb 5, 2010, 1:43:18 PM2/5/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Peter Robinett <pe...@bubblefoundry.com> wrote:
Hello all,

Please tell me if you are using the lift-flot module. I am working on
upgrading it to Flot 0.6 and as Aaron noted[1], Flot has switched to a
slightly new format of specifying options. However, they have kept
backwards compatibility, meaning that we could upgrade to the latest
version of Flot without changing the way series options are specified.
Would you prefer to have a breaking change in lift-flot now in order
to ensure future compatibility or would you like to put off this
change until a future version of Flot drops support for this now
depreciated format?

Can you deprecate the Scala calls that correspond to the deprecated Flot calls?  If so, that'd be optimal.  I'm not sure how widely used Flot is, but unless there are more than 3 people who object to a breaking change, I'd be okay with it.

Peter

[1]: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/a25a93f55c181475

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Peter Robinett

Feb 5, 2010, 2:22:44 PM2/5/10
to Lift
It requires changing the FlotOptions trait. Actually, we could do
exactly what Flot 0.6 does and support both (just add the series
option without removing the lines, points and shadowSize options),
though then we'd need some way to prioritize one way over the other.

Peter

On Feb 5, 10:43 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Peter Robinett <pe...@bubblefoundry.com>wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
>
> > Please tell me if you are using the lift-flot module. I am working on
> > upgrading it to Flot 0.6 and as Aaron noted[1], Flot has switched to a
> > slightly new format of specifying options. However, they have kept
> > backwards compatibility, meaning that we could upgrade to the latest
> > version of Flot without changing the way series options are specified.
> > Would you prefer to have a breaking change in lift-flot now in order
> > to ensure future compatibility or would you like to put off this
> > change until a future version of Flot drops support for this now
> > depreciated format?
>
> Can you deprecate the Scala calls that correspond to the deprecated Flot
> calls?  If so, that'd be optimal.  I'm not sure how widely used Flot is, but
> unless there are more than 3 people who object to a breaking change, I'd be
> okay with it.
>

> > Peter
>
> > [1]:

> >http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/a25a93f55...

> > --

> > liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com<liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com >

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=en.
>
> --

> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Aaron Valade

Feb 5, 2010, 2:29:46 PM2/5/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Would we even need to prioritize it? If Flot supports both, we should
let it do the hard work of deciding which one to use if they are both
present, which I would imagine would be a very rare case. We can just
mark the old methods as deprecated and then remove them in the future
when Flot doesn't support the old way anymore.

Peter Robinett

Feb 5, 2010, 3:25:48 PM2/5/10
to Lift
True. Good solution.