Lift from webwork, sql, java background

traigo

Sep 22, 2010, 12:14:58 AM9/22/10
to Lift
I've been developing a large web application for 4 years built on
webwork 1.1 using an SQL backend. It hasn't been updated, nor have my
skills. When I started, I did all the UI and JS, no java. About 2.5
years ago, I became the only programmer and had to continue the
project. Its slow to develop as a single person I learned java as I
went by example, which, I came to find out, was a bad one. Its only
been the past year that I've started using object classes,
inheritence, threads, interfaces, etc. I'm finally getting into
writing my own apps and I heard about lift on FLOSS weekly. I've used
struts and hibernate, but only as a junior programmer. Now, I'm
starting from the ground up. Are there any noob resources available
for ground-up DB driven, secure, functional, and dare I say, pretty,
web apps? I feel like I'm starting from scratch, so why not a new
language as well. I learn very quickly, but I seem to start slow at
the base. Tutorials that are explained well are my best launch point,
then I stick to API, its the getting started thing. Most tutorials
seem to want to explain the code line by line. I can pick up syntax as
I go. What I need is the 30k foot view of this code will make this.

David Pollak

Sep 22, 2010, 8:14:49 AM9/22/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The Lift Book is a great place to start http://groups.google.com/group/the-lift-book/web/master.pdf

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Timothy Perrett

Sep 22, 2010, 8:19:01 AM9/22/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
<shameless_self_plug>

You can also checkout my book here (chapter 1 is free):
http://manning.com/perrett/

</shameless_self_plug>

Cheers, Tim

traigo

Sep 22, 2010, 4:22:08 PM9/22/10
to Lift
Is the lift book available as HTML? I do most of my reading on my
crackberry and it formats HTML for reading without horizontal scroll.

On Sep 22, 7:14 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> The Lift Book is a great place to starthttp://groups.google.com/group/the-lift-book/web/master.pdf
>

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM, traigo <kylepman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been developing a large web application for 4 years built on
> > webwork 1.1 using an SQL backend. It hasn't been updated, nor have my
> > skills. When I started, I did all the UI and JS, no java. About 2.5
> > years ago, I became the only programmer and had to continue the
> > project. Its slow to develop as a single person I learned java as I
> > went by example, which, I came to find out, was a bad one. Its only
> > been the past year that I've started using object classes,
> > inheritence, threads, interfaces, etc. I'm finally getting into
> > writing my own apps and I heard about lift on FLOSS weekly. I've used
> > struts and hibernate, but only as a junior programmer. Now, I'm
> > starting from the ground up. Are there any noob resources available
> > for ground-up DB driven, secure, functional, and dare I say, pretty,
> > web apps? I feel like I'm starting from scratch, so why not a new
> > language as well. I learn very quickly, but I seem to start slow at
> > the base. Tutorials that are explained well are my best launch point,
> > then I stick to API, its the getting started thing. Most tutorials
> > seem to want to explain the code line by line. I can pick up syntax as
> > I go. What I need is the 30k foot view of this code will make this.
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Derek Chen-Becker

Sep 23, 2010, 7:52:21 PM9/23/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
It's actually done in LyX (LaTeX), so I have the Makefile set up to convert to HTML. The book is close to 270 pages, though, so how do you want the HTML organized? Would a tarball with one HTML page per chapter work?

Derek

Randinn

Sep 25, 2010, 10:23:21 PM9/25/10
to Lift
Great book so far, I bought it the day after I heard about it.

On Sep 22, 10:19 pm, Timothy Perrett <timo...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
> <shameless_self_plug>
>
> You can also checkout my book here (chapter 1 is free):http://manning.com/perrett/
>
> </shameless_self_plug>
>
> Cheers, Tim
>
> On 22 Sep 2010, at 13:14, David Pollak wrote:
>
> > The Lift Book is a great place to starthttp://groups.google.com/group/the-lift-book/web/master.pdf
>
> > On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM, traigo <kylepman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been developing a large web application for 4 years built on
> > webwork 1.1 using an SQL backend. It hasn't been updated, nor have my
> > skills. When I started, I did all the UI and JS, no java. About 2.5
> > years ago, I became the only programmer and had to continue the
> > project. Its slow to develop as a single person I learned java as I
> > went by example, which, I came to find out, was a bad one. Its only
> > been the past year that I've started using object classes,
> > inheritence, threads, interfaces, etc. I'm finally getting into
> > writing my own apps and I heard about lift on FLOSS weekly. I've used
> > struts and hibernate, but only as a junior programmer. Now, I'm
> > starting from the ground up. Are there any noob resources available
> > for ground-up DB driven, secure, functional, and dare I say, pretty,
> > web apps? I feel like I'm starting from scratch, so why not a new
> > language as well. I learn very quickly, but I seem to start slow at
> > the base. Tutorials that are explained well are my best launch point,
> > then I stick to API, its the getting started thing. Most tutorials
> > seem to want to explain the code line by line. I can pick up syntax as
> > I go. What I need is the 30k foot view of this code will make this.
>
> > --
>
> > --
> > Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
> > Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Timothy Perrett

Sep 26, 2010, 11:34:27 AM9/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the positive feedback :-D

Cheers, Tim

Paul Dale

Sep 26, 2010, 2:53:35 PM9/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I think the lift in action book is a better 30k
foot view. It starts with a lot of background before getting into
code.

The Exploring lift book (below) is a great reference for first steps
on any feature, but gets in to code pretty fast, which sounds like it
may not be what you're looking for.

Paul

Timothy Perrett

Sep 26, 2010, 3:06:24 PM9/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

The book is split up into 3 sections:

1. introduction
2. tutorial application
3. In depth reference

The chapters you have likely read so far are from section 1. So, to that end, hang in there, it will get more in depth as the chapters progress. Its important to start easy so that everyone can follow along and has the same base.

Cheers, Tim

Paul Dale

Sep 26, 2010, 3:14:57 PM9/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Tim,

I didn't mean to slight the book at all :-)

Quite the contrary, I thought the background quite a good intro for a
newbie. As I only have the MEAP so far (chapters 1-5) I can only
comment on that, but what I have seems to be a higher text-to-code
ratio than the Exploring Lift book. The later however is currently the
first place I go to look for detailed information on a feature when
I'm ready for it. Partly because it has clickable links from the TOC
and the manning book does not.

Paul

Timothy Perrett

Sep 26, 2010, 6:18:20 PM9/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

No offence taken - its all a work in progress as far as im concerned :-)

Generally speaking I expect there to be a lot more text than code. As its an "in action" book, I like to take the time to explain everything fully and in enough detail that someone new to Lift will get what is being discussed. Subsequently, LiA is going to be a much, much bigger book than TDGL in terms of pages. Moreover, the way I speak is generally the way I write so tends to be a slightly more verbose vernacular :-)

If you have additional feedback, such as the ToC thing (that should be an easy fix for manning) please raise it in the author forum and we will try to do something about it.

Cheers, Tim