Announcement: new site for Exploring Lift

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 14, 2010, 2:14:27 PM10/14/10
to liftweb, the-li...@googlegroups.com
Google Groups (which hosts our mailing list) will no longer support serving files past November 1st, so we've set up a new site to hold copies of the book as we work on it:

http://exploring.liftweb.net/

The Google Group will remain the primary means of discussing the book, and the new site has links to the issue tracking and source repos, which also remain the same. In addition to the PDF version of the book, the new site will also host an online HTML version of the book, as well as a downloadable HTML archive. Feedback on the book and/or site are always welcome!

Thanks,

Derek

TylerWeir

Oct 14, 2010, 2:19:04 PM10/14/10
to Lift
Woohoo Derek!

David Pollak

Oct 14, 2010, 2:21:53 PM10/14/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM, TylerWeir <tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
Woohoo Derek!

It looks awesome, dude!

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 14, 2010, 3:07:50 PM10/14/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David, and a huge thanks to you for not only providing hosting for the site, but for all of your help with book and for Lift in general!

Derek

Timothy Perrett

Oct 14, 2010, 3:16:31 PM10/14/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Wow yeah, great effort on the site, looks sweet. Is that a CSS template from some place or did you make it especially?

Cheers

Mads Hartmann Jensen

Oct 14, 2010, 3:24:28 PM10/14/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
Looks great, congratulations with the new site :)

Thanks,
Mads Hartmann

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 14, 2010, 3:50:46 PM10/14/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The CSS and general layout is taken from the Titan WordPress theme:

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/titan

I'm definitely not a designer :)

Derek

adam00

Oct 15, 2010, 3:45:52 AM10/15/10
to Lift
There is something wrong with some of the "source-images" in on-line
version of book, for example, first one in page:

http://exploring.liftweb.net/master/node7.html

I see them "pixelized" on the left side of image.

Best regards,
Adam

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 15, 2010, 8:29:49 AM10/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that looks bad. Let me see what I can do about it.

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 15, 2010, 10:14:27 AM10/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
OK, I have an interim fix in place. Apparently latex2html was trying to antialias text in the listings, which is what made it look so bad. I've checked a handful of listings and they look better. Long-term I'm going to see if I can write a plugin for latex2html that will turn the listings into <pre> blocks using syntaxhighligter (http://alexgorbatchev.com/SyntaxHighlighter/), since the current "render to image" precludes people copying and pasting the code.

Derek

Lukasz Kuczera

Oct 15, 2010, 1:27:51 PM10/15/10
to Lift
Looks very cool :D

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 15, 2010, 4:10:41 PM10/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
OK, after some hacking on customization of latex2html, the online version now uses the awesome SyntaxHighlighter package to format all code listings. There are still some kinks to work out (it seems to want to insert <p> elements whenever there's more than one consecutive newline in the listing), but this looks a heck of a lot better IMHO.

Derek

Donald Tyler

Oct 16, 2010, 7:46:20 AM10/16/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
That looks great. Any chance we can get the syntax highlighting in the PDF?

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 19, 2010, 11:23:58 PM10/19/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, the-li...@googlegroups.com
Well, technically the listings in the PDF do syntax highlighting, but the default palette is monochrome and not very stylized. Could you please open an issue to improve the styles for the listings to use color and whatever else you'd like to see?

Thanks,

Derek