cannot construct Atom(null)

Jon

Aug 19, 2011, 8:08:33 AM8/19/11
to Lift
Hi There -

We've run across a situation using 2.4-M2 where the following
exception occurs with no stack trace and the UI hangs:
[pool-2-thread-5] ERROR net.liftweb.util.Schedule -
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cannot construct Atom(null)

Found the source of the problem in our code and corrected it but am
wondering if Lift could help others a bit more in such situations with
more information. It was discussed a bit in a prior discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/2dc85f60a8c13979/59e700a9b0406ef1?lnk=gst&q=cannot+construct+Atom#59e700a9b0406ef1

Thanks,
Jon

David Pollak

Aug 19, 2011, 12:43:43 PM8/19/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Jon <jon.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi There -

We've run across a situation using 2.4-M2 where the following
exception occurs with no stack trace and the UI hangs:
[pool-2-thread-5] ERROR net.liftweb.util.Schedule -
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cannot construct Atom(null)

Can you post the code that was trying to construct the Atom(null)?

Found the source of the problem in our code and corrected it but am
wondering if Lift could help others a bit more in such situations with
more information. It was discussed a bit in a prior discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/2dc85f60a8c13979/59e700a9b0406ef1?lnk=gst&q=cannot+construct+Atom#59e700a9b0406ef1

Thanks,
Jon

Jon

Aug 19, 2011, 1:55:31 PM8/19/11
to Lift
Winnowing it down...

def all(in: NodeSeq): NodeSeq = page.flatMap(item =>
bind("item", in,
"starRating" -> (if (item.hotel.diamondRating == null) "" else
item.hotel.diamondRating)
)
)

The startRating line used to be just
"starRating" -> item.hotel.diamondRating
but when some data showed up unexpectedly dirty, diamondRating can be
null when it should instead be blank.

Thanks,
Jon

On Aug 19, 12:43 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Jon <jon.steel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi There -
>
> > We've run across a situation using 2.4-M2 where the following
> > exception occurs with no stack trace and the UI hangs:
> > [pool-2-thread-5] ERROR net.liftweb.util.Schedule -
> > java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cannot construct Atom(null)
>
> Can you post the code that was trying to construct the Atom(null)?
>

> > Found the source of the problem in our code and corrected it but am
> > wondering if Lift could help others a bit more in such situations with
> > more information. It was discussed a bit in a prior discussion:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/2dc85f60a...
>
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
>
> > --