Lift Web Framework 2.0 Release Candidate 1 released

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Jun 9, 2010, 3:27:29 PM6/9/10
to lift-a...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@listes.epfl.ch
The Lift Web Framework team is pleased to announce the
framework-2.0-RC1 release!

Lift is an expressive and elegant framework for writing web
applications. Lift stresses the importance of security,
maintainability, scalability and performance while allowing for high
levels of developer productivity. Lift is a Scala web framework.

NOTE: A browsable version of this changelog is also available at:
http://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/milestones/207941

Changes in this version include:

New features:
o Mechanism to Abstract Over Retried AJAX Calls Issue: 437.
o add missing SHtml.ajaxTextarea...() methods Issue: 536.
o Added a method to create a query string in MetaMapper from
QueryParams Issue: 512.
o Enhanced TestKit to provide more generic HTTP request capabilities
Issue: 511.
o Enhanced date math using JodaTime and more seamless conversion
to/from Date and JodaTime objects Issue: 535.
o Add explicit test for MetaMapper comparisons in foreign keys Issue: 532.
o Add MongoPasswordField Issue: 533.
o Add Italian translation for lift-core.properties Issue: 537. Thanks
to AliPanick.
o Support for Box in JSON Issue: 489.

Fixed Bugs:
o Fixed a null pointer exception in Testkit Issue: 544.
o JsonResponse passes the HTTP response code correctly now Issue: 545.
o Put Expires or Cache-Control=no-cache headers into Comet, REST and
Ajax response Issue: 538.
o AJAX and Comet S.notice et al no longer clear messages before
posting their own
meaning you can now use Comet and AJAX and normal snippets to
post messages all together Issue: 542.
o BooleanOption not lazy enough Issue: 531.
o MappedString.apply(Empty) now correctly results in a null String in
the column Issue: 514.
o Smarter caching of foreign key objects Issue: 370.
o Fix slf4j version Issue: 519.
o Count wrong in sessions Issue: 529.
o maxConcurrentRequests not honored Issue: 547.
o Fix swappable jQuery focus behavior Issue: 449.
o Broaden S.notice et al so that one can configure JsCmd's Issue: 502.
o Add path-based field replacement to JValue Issue: 510.
o Possible lift-mapper bug under Scala 2.8 Issue: 513.
o MappedField.asString should use name instead of displayName Issue: 517.
o Improve case class constructor search when extracting values from
JSON Issue: 522.
o Consider allowing OrderBy to take an optional NullsFirst/NullsLast
parameter Issue: 524.
o JSON transform function Issue: 525.
o ActorPing can keep CometActors around forever Issue: 530.
o Lift-up attribute snippets Issue: 539.
o Mapper items not tracked when there are no post-commit functions for
MetaMapper Issue: 541.
o SBT archetype Issue: 543.
o Escape velocity filtering for inline maven variables in archetypes
Issue: 546.
o Remove package private access modifier on TransientRequestVar Issue: 548.

Changes:
o Major cleanup of HTTP mocks Issue: 509.
o Added a default logger to LiftActor Issue: 528.
o Unified a lot of the input testing into a single trait
(e.g.,valMinLen, etc.) Issue: 162.
o changed EmptyBox's type signature Issue: 527.
o Enhance and Document Screen and Wizard Issue: 375.
o Make the default docType configurable in LiftRules Issue: 478.
o Documentation bug for Box Issue: 515.
o Upgrade MongoDB driver to 2.0 Issue: 521.
o Better JSON support for custom types Issue: 523.

Have fun!
-Lift Web Framework team

Timothy Perrett

Jun 9, 2010, 4:18:33 PM6/9/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

w00t!!

David Pollak

Jun 9, 2010, 4:44:15 PM6/9/10
to sc...@listes.epfl.ch, lift-a...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@listes.epfl.ch
A huge thanks to the Lift community and the Lift team for getting us this far.

BUT... we need your help.  Please compile and stress test your code against RC1 and immediately report any anomalies on the Lift mailing list.  We want to get 2.0 out by the end of this month, so that's 3 weeks of solid testing!
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Jun 9, 2010, 6:00:03 PM6/9/10
to Lift
That's great news. Now time for docs, because they are almost not
exiting, crap or out of date. (Last github commits to LiftBook was
done over year ago! One, printed book is also out of date)

Without good docs Lift will end in small niche and nobody will even
notice its existence. And not everybody has enough knowledge and
patience to dig through the source code. I think, documentation for
Lift is absolutely crucial to get more attention and bring more people
to he project.

--
JZ

Ross Mellgren

Jun 9, 2010, 6:01:55 PM6/9/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Please help write some.

-Ross

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Jun 9, 2010, 6:16:52 PM6/9/10
to Lift
I wish to help but unfortunatelly I do not have enough knowledge of
Lift. This task should be done first by dev. team. We need docs
instead of new features. Because without docs who will be able to use
it after all? Look ad Django framework. I remember their beginnings.
Their first main goal was creating good documentation. And they had
right. It brought a lot of people to the project. Their docs was a
part of their success. And now Django is recognized as the most
popular pythonic web framework. I think, docs this should be highest
priorite for Lift if it has to survive.

David Pollak

Jun 9, 2010, 6:23:46 PM6/9/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Jaroslaw Zabiello <hipert...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wish to help but unfortunatelly I do not have enough knowledge of
Lift. This task should be done first by dev. team. We need docs
instead of new features. Because without docs who will be able to use
it after all? Look ad Django framework. I remember their beginnings.
Their first main goal was creating good documentation. And they had
right. It brought a lot of people to the project. Their docs was a
part of their success. And now Django is recognized as the most
popular pythonic web framework. I think, docs this should be highest
priorite for Lift if it has to survive.

Lift has more source code comments per line than does Rails and 90%+ of Lift's comments are ScalaDocs.

The Getting Started guide gives you 70% of the concepts you need to build a successful Lift app... all in < 15 pages.  Have you been through the Getting Started guide?

The Lift book is still relevant... just because it's old, doesn't mean it doesn't cover the basics of Lift.

The Lift community is here to help with questions, but we ask that every community member gives back.

Telling us what to do, then telling us that you're not willing to roll up your sleeves and help out is not the kind of attitude that will succeed in this community.

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Jun 9, 2010, 6:35:54 PM6/9/10
to Lift
David, Rails has weak online docs (at least guides.rubyonrails.org is
weaker than Django's in my oppinion) but it has at least a lot of
good books and screencast. Need of digging through the source code is
not encouraging. Not everybody has enough patience nor knowledge of
Scala. But if you think Lift should stay in niche..

On Jun 9, 11:23 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com<liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com >
> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/liftweb?hl=en.
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

Jun 9, 2010, 6:42:06 PM6/9/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Jaroslaw Zabiello <hipert...@gmail.com> wrote:
David, Rails has weak online docs (at least guides.rubyonrails.org is
weaker than Django's in my oppinion)

And this clearly relegated Rails to being niche.

 but it has at least a lot of
good books and screencast. Need of digging through the source code is
not encouraging. Not everybody has enough patience nor knowledge of
Scala. But if you think Lift should stay in niche..

Once again, your attitude is not helping you.  If you have a question, this community is here to answer it.  Do you have one or do you just want to show how smart and cool you are by making pronouncements and not being willing to help out?

Jaroslaw Zabiello

Jun 9, 2010, 7:00:01 PM6/9/10
to Lift

On Jun 9, 11:42 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > David, Rails has weak online docs (at least guides.rubyonrails.org is
> > weaker than Django's in my oppinion)
>
> And this clearly relegated Rails to being niche.

No, because Rail has great books, screencasts, etc. Agile Web
Development with Rails was even awarded as the best technical book. I
bought paper edition of Lift book. It was short, unclean and it was
missing appendixes. The publisher, forgot to print it out.

>>  but it has at least a lot of
>> good books and screencast. Need of digging through the source code is
>> not encouraging. Not everybody has enough patience nor knowledge of
>> Scala. But if you think Lift should stay in niche..

> Once again, your attitude is not helping you.  If you have a question, this
> community is here to answer it.  Do you have one or do you just want to show
> how smart and cool you are by making pronouncements and not being willing to
> help out?

I think you do not get it. I don't care what you are thinking about
me. I just would like to popularize Lift. But if you think that
reading comments in source code is the best way to understand how all
those compoments work together...

--
JZ

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jun 9, 2010, 7:03:26 PM6/9/10
to liftweb
Jaroslaw, I think you mean well but I'm not sure if you realize how your tone of voice comes across.

Sean Corfield

Jun 9, 2010, 7:05:09 PM6/9/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Jaroslaw Zabiello
<hipert...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you do not get it. I don't care what you are thinking about
> me. I just would like to  popularize Lift.

Then step up and contribute documentation. That's how open source
projects work. There's no point sitting on the sidelines expecting it
to all be handed to you on a plate. If you think the documentation can
be improved, show the community how. Write articles, blog posts,
contribute to wikis.

Sorry, but this is a big bugbear of mine. I work on a LOT of open
source projects. One of the biggest problems is *always*
documentation. Successful projects are ones where their community
steps up and helps improve all the non-code aspects of the project -
the website, the wiki, the books. It's so frustrating to hear people
simply complain without being willing to assist...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood

Sean Corfield

Jun 9, 2010, 7:07:26 PM6/9/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM, David Pollak
<feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Lift book is still relevant... just because it's old, doesn't mean it
> doesn't cover the basics of Lift.

There's also a new Lift In Action book coming from Manning, currently
available in their Early Access Program which I expect will track the
latest developments in the Lift project (I noticed that it advocates
sbt as the build tool for Lift projects which I thought was
experimental / future right now?).

David Pollak

Jun 9, 2010, 7:23:15 PM6/9/10

wrote:

> > David, Rails has weak online docs (at least guides.rubyonrails.org is
> > weaker than Django's in my oppinion)
>
> And this clearly relegated Rails to being niche.

No, because Rail has great books, screencasts, etc. Agile Web
Development with Rails was even awarded as the best technical book. I
bought paper edition of Lift book. It was short, unclean and it was
missing appendixes. The publisher, forgot to print it out.

>>  but it has at least a lot of
>> good books and screencast. Need of digging through the source code is
>> not encouraging. Not everybody has enough patience nor knowledge of
>> Scala. But if you think Lift should stay in niche..

> Once again, your attitude is not helping you.  If you have a question, this
> community is here to answer it.  Do you have one or do you just want to show
> how smart and cool you are by making pronouncements and not being willing to
> help out?

I think you do not get it.

And that's because I grew Lift from nothing to a nearly 2000 member strong community with far more reference apps and users than Rails had in 2005 (we're about 5 years behind Rails in terms of project life) and I've helped grow Scala from complete obscurity to being one of the hottest languages around... I clearly don't get it.  I clearly don't have any sense of what priorities should be because I've clearly failed to execute by any reasonable metric.

I understand what you're asking.  I disagree because:
  1. There exists a significant amount of documentation for Lift... not all of it is perfect (I think that DHH Rails book is the best tech book every), but it supplies a ton of information.
  2. There will never be enough documentation to satisfy all comers.  I still look at Java library source code and the JVM source in OpenJDK when I have a real hard question.
  3. The kinds of questions that come up on the Lift list are a good indicator of what kinds of documentation is lacking (CRUDify is #1, deployment issues are #2, dealing with MegaProtoUser is #3) and 2 of those three are actually limitations of the existing implementations rather than documentation issues.
  4. The screencasts, etc. in Rails-land came in force starting in 2006 and didn't come from the committers, but came from the community.

I don't care what you are thinking about
me. I just would like to  popularize Lift.

Well, if you want to influence me or the other Lift committers such that you convince us that you've got a valid opinion, then I think you should care about folks think of you.  So far, you've done a super-bad job of convincing me that you're position has merit (see the above points) or that you care about making the Lift community a better place (willingness to do your part to help the community grow.)  As Sean says, it's time for you to step up.

But if you think that
reading comments in source code is the best way to understand how all
those compoments work together...

You keep claiming that you have to read source code to understand things.  What things are you failing to understand?

Thanks,

David

--
JZ

TylerWeir

Jun 9, 2010, 7:41:39 PM6/9/10
to Lift
Great stuff everyone!

Keep it up.

On Jun 9, 7:23 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    1. There exists a significant amount of documentation for Lift... not all
>    of it is perfect (I think that DHH Rails book is the best tech book every),
>    but it supplies a ton of information.
>    2. There will never be enough documentation to satisfy all comers.  I
>    still look at Java library source code and the JVM source in OpenJDK when I
>    have a real hard question.
>    3. The kinds of questions that come up on the Lift list are a good
>    indicator of what kinds of documentation is lacking (CRUDify is #1,
>    deployment issues are #2, dealing with MegaProtoUser is #3) and 2 of those
>    three are actually limitations of the existing implementations rather than
>    documentation issues.
>    4. The screencasts, etc. in Rails-land came in force starting in 2006 and
>    didn't come from the committers, but came from the community.
>
> > I don't care what you are thinking about
> > me. I just would like to  popularize Lift.
>
> Well, if you want to influence me or the other Lift committers such that you
> convince us that you've got a valid opinion, then I think you should care
> about folks think of you.  So far, you've done a super-bad job of convincing
> me that you're position has merit (see the above points) or that you care
> about making the Lift community a better place (willingness to do your part
> to help the community grow.)  As Sean says, it's time for you to step up.
>
> > But if you think that
> > reading comments in source code is the best way to understand how all
> > those compoments work together...
>
> You keep claiming that you have to read source code to understand things.
> What things are you failing to understand?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>

> > --
> > JZ
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

ngocdaothanh

Jun 9, 2010, 9:38:32 PM6/9/10
to Lift
> What things are you failing to understand?

I think the problem is for someone to have confidence to write doc for
Lift, his knowledge about Lift must be above a certain threshold.
Also, for Lift to be "learnable", its doc must be above a certain
threshold.

But while the core members are too busy to write doc for newbies but
still generous to answer questions, I think this approach may work:
Newbies should ask questions, then when they have the answer they
should summarize it into the wiki.

Timothy Perrett

Jun 10, 2010, 3:36:11 AM6/10/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, Lift
I am currently writing a book on Lift; I would recomend checking it
out on early access. Feedback so far has been very positive and it
covers a wide range of Lift topics.

http://manning.com/perrett/

Sent from my iPhone

ngocdaothanh

Jun 10, 2010, 3:45:05 AM6/10/10
to Lift
> I am currently writing a book on Lift

I have bought your excellent book right the time I heard of it. Wish
you have time for the book, there has not been any more chapter for
the last few weeks.

Timothy Perrett

Jun 10, 2010, 4:11:18 AM6/10/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Chapter four will be launched soon after internal review - writing a book is a massive effort, you cant expect new chapters on a weekly basis!

Cheers, Tim

Timothy Perrett

Jun 10, 2010, 4:13:19 AM6/10/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I advocate SBT over Maven in the book because Lift itself will be moving to SBT before long and SBT is just generally a much better / nicer platform for scala development than maven. I'll be including an appendix for maven users, so its not all lost if you want to use maven :-)

The book is also tracking the latest developments and will probably be released targeting 3.0 or one of the 2.8 releases in the future (as there still remains a lot of write)

Cheers, Tim

Sean Corfield

Jun 10, 2010, 11:50:07 AM6/10/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Timothy Perrett
<tim...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
> Sure, I advocate SBT over Maven in the book because Lift itself will be moving to SBT before long and SBT is just generally a much better / nicer platform for scala development than maven. I'll be including an appendix for maven users, so its not all lost if you want to use maven :-)

No complaints from me - I was pleased to see you start out with sbt!
When I first looked at Lift some time ago (before I actually started
doing Scala programming), the use of Maven was rather off-putting
(apologies to all the Maven fans out there! :)

DChenBecker

Jun 18, 2010, 1:04:00 PM6/18/10
to Lift
Just to throw this out there, my son will be starting preschool soon
and that will free up enough time for me to hopefully start making
forward progress on Exploring Lift again. I have a whole list of items
that need revision, but most of those TODOs are from several months
ago. I'm willing to commit at least 2 hours each week to revising and
improving the book, but it would really help me if I could get some
help (Jaroslaw, care to volunteer?) pinpointing things that have had
major changes for Lift 2.0 or that otherwise could use improvement.
I've been following the list but not keeping close enough attention to
what's been changing. If anyone is willing to start filing issues
here:

http://github.com/tjweir/liftbook/issues

I'll start tackling them next week.

Jaroslaw, everyone here wants the docs to be improved but there's a
small subset of people with enough familiarity to do in-depth docs and
I think that their time is better spent on actual code issues. I'm
really looking forward to Tim's book, and everyone has been doing an
incredible job on the Wiki. I would also argue that good API docs are
just as important as tutorials/books/etc, and that's something else
that we need to catch up on. In any case, I hope that you can see that
coming on the list and saying "Lift's docs suck, why don't you guys
fix it?" is not the best way to get a positive response.

Derek

On Jun 10, 9:50 am, Sean Corfield <seancorfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Timothy Perrett
>
> <timo...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
> > Sure, I advocate SBT over Maven in the book because Lift itself will be moving to SBT before long and SBT is just generally a much better / nicer platform for scala development than maven. I'll be including an appendix for maven users, so its not all lost if you want to use maven :-)
>
> No complaints from me - I was pleased to see you start out with sbt!
> When I first looked at Lift some time ago (before I actually started
> doing Scala programming), the use of Maven was rather off-putting
> (apologies to all the Maven fans out there! :)
> --
> Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
> Railo Technologies, Inc. --http://getrailo.com/
> An Architect's View --http://corfield.org/

Timothy Perrett

Jun 18, 2010, 6:39:37 PM6/18/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Derek!

Its great to see your name back on the mailing list - I feel like an old friend has returned to the fold once more.

David Pollak

Jun 18, 2010, 6:41:57 PM6/18/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Timothy Perrett <tim...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
Thanks Derek!

Its great to see your name back on the mailing list - I feel like an old friend has returned to the fold once more.

It's yet another thing that went right today!!

Welcome back Derek!!

On 18 Jun 2010, at 18:04, DChenBecker wrote:

> I'm really looking forward to Tim's book

Derek Chen-Becker

Jun 18, 2010, 7:03:13 PM6/18/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
It feels good to be getting some stuff done :) Thanks, guys!