Basic Lift training video

David Pollak

Jan 4, 2011, 6:36:29 PM1/4/11
to liftweb
http://tunaforcats.com/2011-01-04_Lift_Basics.wmv

Uneditted

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

AGYNAMIX Torsten Uhlmann

Jan 5, 2011, 4:54:09 AM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David!

To watch it you need to install the G2M3 codec from GotoMeeting like described here: http://onlinemeeting.lefora.com/2009/12/08/g2m3-codec-download/

I tested on Windows 7 and enjoy watching the show now :)

Torsten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind Regards,

Torsten Uhlmann

--
Torsten Uhlmann
AGYNAMIX(R). Passionate Software.

Kirill Zaborsky

Jan 5, 2011, 10:34:48 AM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to convert the video into some format which could be played on non-Windows systems?

Kind regards,
Kirill Zaborsky

Donald McLean

Jan 5, 2011, 12:18:54 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On a Mac you can use Flip4Mac from Microsoft. On Linux, you should be
able to use something like VLC.

Diligiant

Jan 5, 2011, 12:42:47 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
G2M3 wmv are not compatible with flip4mac nor VLC. You need to record differently to ensure wide compatibility.  We need some help from our beloved Win friends ;-)

Colin Teal

Jan 5, 2011, 12:26:27 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
To prevent potential frustration: VLC does not support the G2M3 codec.

Thank you,
Colin

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 5, 2011, 2:36:18 PM1/5/11
to liftweb
Can eRightSoft SUPER convert it?

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 5, 2011, 2:38:18 PM1/5/11
to liftweb
Actually, the link you posted has instructions how to convert it or play it on Mac.

Kirill Zaborsky

Jan 5, 2011, 2:52:17 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I did not post any links.
What are you referring to?

Kind regards,
Kirill Zaborsky

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 5, 2011, 2:53:54 PM1/5/11
to liftweb

Kind regards,
Kirill Zaborsky

S?ren Bramer Schmidt

Jan 5, 2011, 5:23:01 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I have started the encoding, but apparently it will take about 4 hours.

I will try to upload the result to vimeo tomorrow.

David Pollak

Jan 5, 2011, 5:26:16 PM1/5/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:23 PM, S?ren Bramer Schmidt <sor...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have started the encoding, but apparently it will take about 4 hours.

I will try to upload the result to vimeo tomorrow.

Super big thanks.  If we ever meet in person, I'll buy you a beer (or two... or three).

S?ren Bramer Schmidt

Jan 6, 2011, 10:52:23 AM1/6/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
No problem David.

The video is available here http://vimeo.com/groups/75631

In the future feel free to send me a direct mail, and i will be happy to chrunch through another video.

i will make sure to claim my beer sometime :-)

David Pollak

Jan 6, 2011, 11:57:29 AM1/6/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM, S?ren Bramer Schmidt <sor...@gmail.com> wrote:
No problem David.

The video is available here http://vimeo.com/groups/75631

In the future feel free to send me a direct mail, and i will be happy to chrunch through another video.

Thanks!

At some point, I'll do cleaned up, edited versions of the training.  In the mean time, having the community contribute like you have is most excellent.

i will make sure to claim my beer sometime :-)

Shark.Z

Jan 7, 2011, 12:17:48 AM1/7/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David, you're awesome! I love and admire you.

Peter Petersson

Jan 7, 2011, 5:06:20 AM1/7/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for encoding ... working great on my linux system :)
best regards
Peter Petersson

Peter Petersson

Jan 7, 2011, 4:59:20 AM1/7/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yes I would appreciate usage of a open and cross platform codec ... I am
on a linux system ;)
best regards,
Peter Petersson

tuhlmann

Jan 7, 2011, 6:09:54 AM1/7/11
to Lift
I just finished going through the video - great learning resource,
thank you!

I noticed that the video (I watched the original wmv) stops after 2:50
hours, right before the forms part. Is it possible to watch that part,
too?

Thanks,
Torsten.

On Jan 5, 12:36 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> http://tunaforcats.com/2011-01-04_Lift_Basics.wmv
>
> Uneditted
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

Jan 7, 2011, 8:38:07 AM1/7/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:09 AM, tuhlmann <torsten...@googlemail.com> wrote:
I just finished going through the video - great learning resource,
thank you!

I noticed that the video (I watched the original wmv) stops after 2:50
hours, right before the forms part. Is it possible to watch that part,
too?

That was user-error on my part.  I stopped recording during the break and forgot to restart the recording.

I'm doing another session on Tuesday at 9am PST (there are still plenty of available spots):

Please register for Lift Basics on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM PST at:

https://student.gototraining.com/9j4r6/register/3810463430503605248

David Pollak is the founder and BDFL of the Lift Framework open source project

Join David for a 4 hour introductory session to Lift. David will cover:

- Lift's View First and Design Friendly templates to mock up the UI of your application
- Associate the UI with application behavior via Lift's snippets
- Explore Lift's Ajax and Comet features by adding interactive features to your app
- Learn about SiteMap and access control
- Learn about forms including simple forms, Ajax forms, Screen and Wizard

The materials will track chapters 2, 3, and 4 of Simply Lift: http://simply.liftweb.net/

The class is open for up to 24 participants.

All participants must have Java 6 installed on their machine. It's recommended that you install JRebel as well (http://www.zeroturnaround.com/jrebel/)

Please join David for 4 hours of fun, learning and exploration.

The price is $99 per participant. You can pay via PayPal or company check. The session will be recorded.

After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the training.

I'll record the full session this time... I think the timing for the whole thing will also be a little better based on the first training.

So, feel encouraged to sign up and you'll be able to watch the video (unless and of the participants objects).

wrote:
> http://tunaforcats.com/2011-01-04_Lift_Basics.wmv
>
> Uneditted
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
> Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
> Blog:http://goodstuff.im
> Surf the harmonics

S?ren Bramer Schmidt

Jan 8, 2011, 10:00:04 AM1/8/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, i figured so.

If you haven't already decided on a way to host the videos i think you should consider tekpub.com
They are pretty friendly to the developer community and offers free hosting for oss projects.

Coming from the .net world Rob Conery is now advocating ruby on rails as a better way of doing things, and i think he has built a pretty bright community around tekpub. Exposing this community to lift would be interesting.

Shoot him a mail if you think: robc...@gmail.com

Peter Petersson

Jan 10, 2011, 2:30:02 AM1/10/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Grate basic lift training video ... thanks David ( and participants for
asking the right questions ;) )
best regards
Peter Petersson