Scala 2.8 RC1 and Lift on Scala 2.8

David Pollak

Apr 15, 2010, 9:20:18 AM4/15/10
to liftweb
Folks,

Lift depends on Specs with depends on ScalaTest and ScalaCheck.

ScalaCheck is ported to Scala 2.8 RC1

ScalaTest is a work in progress.

There are bugs in the Scala compiler making the Specs port go slowly.

Once all three of the packages are ported, I'll start the Lift port to 2.8.

Given the state of 2.8 RC1 (the bugs Eric is finding, the fact that specialized causes problems, etc.), I think it's unlikely that there will be a stable 2.8 release within the next 30 days.

It's currently most likely that we'll have a Lift 2.0-M5 running on Scala 2.7.7 ship in early May.  During May, we'll transition the default version of Scala that Lift uses to the 2.8 RC#.  We'll ship Lift 2.0 RC in early June (defaulting to Scala 2.8, but have a parallel version that runs on Scala 2.7.7) and spend June doing RC updating of Lift 2.0 for a targeted late June, early July release of Lift 2.0 (defaulting to Scala 2.8, but having a parallel version that runs on 2.7.7).

Post release 2.0, we will have timed releases of Lift 2.x (likely every 3-4 months) based on back-ports of 3.0 features.

Lift 3.0 development will start after 2.0 is released and will contain breaking changes and will likely be Scala 2.8+ only.  We will continue to port critical bug fixes back to Lift 1.0.x for Novell and other Lift 1.0.x users.

Questions?  Comments?  Feedback?

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Timothy Perrett

Apr 15, 2010, 9:26:43 AM4/15/10
to Lift
David,

This sounds pretty pragmatic. The last thing we want to do is rush out
a version of Lift that is 2.8 compatible an devalue the release
because it appears to be full of bugs.

Ironically, I thought they would be making more of the RC1 here at
Scala Days, but they arnt for some reason.

Your plan sounds good, lets go for it!

Cheers, Tim

On Apr 15, 3:20 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Apr 15, 2010, 9:39:13 AM4/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I think that sounds good. I can't wait to move to 2.8 but prefer
things to be mostly stable first ;-)

/Jeppe

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Apr 15, 2010, 12:10:09 PM4/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Sound approach :)

That said, I have synced up the respective library versions and nuked a
couple of obvious compilation errors in 280_port_refresh.

I have also temporarily disabled tests on this branch (primarily to
reduce Hudson stress). Would re-enable test the moment the compilers
issues are sorted out and we have an RC2.

Meanwhile, we need to sort out the library dependencies, viz.
scalamodules and scalajpa.

scalajpa SNAPSHOT is available for 2.8.0.Beta1. I'll update it to
2.8.0.RC1 or RC2. Heiko can probably take up lift-osgi - Heiko?

Cheers, Indrajit

Heiko Seeberger

Apr 16, 2010, 3:00:58 AM4/16/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 15 April 2010 18:10, Indrajit Raychaudhuri <indr...@gmail.com> wrote:

scalajpa SNAPSHOT is available for 2.8.0.Beta1. I'll update it to 2.8.0.RC1 or RC2. Heiko can probably take up lift-osgi - Heiko?

Sorry, but I am totally swamped until end of next week. Please comment out lift-osgi if necessary.

Heiko

Company: weiglewilczek.com
Blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net
Stambecco, highly scalable computing: stambecco.org

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Apr 16, 2010, 3:08:14 AM4/16/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On 16/04/10 12:30 PM, Heiko Seeberger wrote:
> On 15 April 2010 18:10, Indrajit Raychaudhuri <indr...@gmail.com
> <mailto:indr...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> scalajpa SNAPSHOT is available for 2.8.0.Beta1. I'll update it to
> 2.8.0.RC1 or RC2. Heiko can probably take up lift-osgi - Heiko?
>

> Sorry, but I am totally swamped until end of next week. Please comment
> out lift-osgi if necessary.

No worries Heiko, we have time.

lift-osgi and osgi example are commented out at the moment. Feel free to
take them up at your convenience.

- Indrajit