Js normalizations

Marius

Mar 7, 2010, 1:37:57 PM3/7/10
to Lift
Dear all,

Looking at Js api and specifically JsCmds and JqJsCmds (the Js
abstractions vs Jquery specify abstractions) IMHO there are several
redundancies:

1. JsCmds has ~> method for referencing member of "objects" (i.e
elem.focus()) but JQuery abstractions have >> method that "chains" a
JQueryLeft with JQueryRight
2. JQueryLeft and JQueryRight also seems redundant because JsExp
already have the support for building expressions, composing them,
chaining expressions etc.

My proposal is to normalize this API and have the JQuery specific
things to rely on the JsExp support. I'm aware that this would lead to
some breaking changes but I believe they are necessary.

If you think that this makes sense I'll add a ticket and put it in my
backlog.

Thoughts?

Br's,
Marius

Mads Hartmann Jensen

Mar 7, 2010, 1:52:29 PM3/7/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Marius,
I think this sounds like a great idea - but I only have 2 Lift projects under development so it would be quite fast for me to make any changes

Mads

Marius

Mar 7, 2010, 3:07:55 PM3/7/10
to Lift
I'm not sure about the fastness as I also have other things and a 4
days baby boy ;) ... but I think this is fairly important and I'll try
to prioritize.

Naftoli Gugenheim

Mar 7, 2010, 3:13:47 PM3/7/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Can it be changed with a deprecation phase?

-------------------------------------

Marius

Mar 7, 2010, 3:17:55 PM3/7/10
to Lift
Yes that's the idea ... I apologize I didn't actually mean to just
remove things out of the sudden. But I'll know more once I get to dig
deeper.

On Mar 7, 10:13 pm, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can it be changed with a deprecation phase?
>
> -------------------------------------

Naftoli Gugenheim

Mar 7, 2010, 3:21:38 PM3/7/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Then it sounds good to me, although that doesn't count as much since I must admit I haven't really had the opportunity to use Lift's ajax and javascript parts.

-------------------------------------

Marius

Mar 7, 2010, 3:46:58 PM3/7/10
to Lift
You must be unique :)

On Mar 7, 10:21 pm, Naftoli Gugenheim <naftoli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then it sounds good to me, although that doesn't count as much since I must admit I haven't really had the opportunity to use Lift's ajax and javascript parts.
>
> -------------------------------------

Naftoli Gugenheim

Mar 7, 2010, 3:51:11 PM3/7/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I may have a project coming up that would use it though. :)

-------------------------------------

Heiko Seeberger

Mar 8, 2010, 2:11:03 AM3/8/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 7 March 2010 19:37, Marius <marius...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you think that this makes sense I'll add a ticket and put it in my
backlog.

Makes a lot of sense for me. Go for it!

Heiko

Company: weiglewilczek.com
Blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net

Peter Robinett

Mar 8, 2010, 3:36:24 AM3/8/10
to Lift
+!

On Mar 7, 11:11 pm, Heiko Seeberger <heiko.seeber...@googlemail.com>

David Pollak

Mar 8, 2010, 12:47:30 PM3/8/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Peter Robinett <pe...@bubblefoundry.com> wrote:
+!

Does this translate to "I vote you must do this?" ;-)

+1

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Jim Wise

Mar 8, 2010, 2:55:29 PM3/8/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:36 AM, Peter Robinett <pe...@bubblefoundry.com> wrote:
>
> +!
>
> Does this translate to "I vote you must do this?" ;-)

``I vote to do this, and throw an exception if the vote is empty''?

--
Jim Wise
jw...@draga.com

Peter Robinett

Mar 8, 2010, 4:15:02 PM3/8/10
to Lift
Like Heiko, I vote for Marius to do what he proposes. ;-)