can't get started

Jay Donnell

Jan 5, 2008, 5:18:08 PM1/5/08
to liftweb
I have java 1.5 and maven 2.0.7 installed, but I'm having a hard time
getting started.

I tried the mvn archetype:create command from http://liftweb.net/index.php/Cheat_Sheet
and it failed with

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: net.liftweb
ArtifactId: lift-archetype-basic
Version: 0.4-SNAPSHOT

Also, there isn't a clear "do this to get started" on the wiki.

David Pollak

Jan 5, 2008, 5:55:26 PM1/5/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Jay,

A couple of things.

First, can you ping scala-tools.org?

Second, try again (sometimes Maven randomly dies and this looks like one of those times.)

Third, what OS are you running (more out of curiosity).

Thanks,

David
--
lift, the secure, simple, powerful web framework http://liftweb.net
Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us

David Bernard

Jan 5, 2008, 6:08:05 PM1/5/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, there is a typo on wiki, try
mvn archetype:create -U \
-DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb \
-DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-basic \
-DarchetypeVersion=0.4-SNAPSHOT \
-DremoteRepositories=http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots \
-DgroupId=com.liftone -DartifactId=liftone

The archetypes is not yet realesed so it is in repository http://scala-tools.org/repo-snapshots and not repo-releases

try again in 10 min. A update is running.

David Pollak wrote:
> Jay,
>
> A couple of things.
>

> First, can you ping scala-tools.org <http://scala-tools.org>?

> Second, try again (sometimes Maven randomly dies and this looks like one
> of those times.)
>
> Third, what OS are you running (more out of curiosity).
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> On Jan 5, 2008 2:18 PM, Jay Donnell <jaydo...@gmail.com

> <mailto:jaydo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> I have java 1.5 and maven 2.0.7 installed, but I'm having a hard time
> getting started.
>
> I tried the mvn archetype:create command from
> http://liftweb.net/index.php/Cheat_Sheet
> <http://liftweb.net/index.php/Cheat_Sheet>
> and it failed with
>
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> GroupId: net.liftweb
> ArtifactId: lift-archetype-basic
> Version: 0.4-SNAPSHOT
>

> Also, there isn't a clear "do this to get started" on the wiki.
>

> --
> lift, the secure, simple, powerful web framework http://liftweb.net

> Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us <http://much4.us>

Jay Donnell

Jan 5, 2008, 7:10:57 PM1/5/08
to liftweb
the mvn create works not, but now jetty:run fails. I also get the
error below when trying one of the tutorials.

danny-donnells-computer:liftone jay$ pwd
/Users/jay/tmp/liftone
danny-donnells-computer:liftone jay$ mvn jetty:run

[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The PluginDescriptor for the plugin Plugin [org.scala-
tools:maven-scala-plugin] was not found.
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.IllegalStateException: The PluginDescriptor for the plugin
Plugin [org.scala-tools:maven-scala-plugin] was not found.

@david p
mac os x leopard

David Bernard

Jan 6, 2008, 3:55:29 AM1/6/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
short :
try "mvn jetty:run -U"

long :
I didn't specified a version for the maven-scala-plugin, so it use the last one available locally (it's a common use case).
If you never use this plugin before, then build failed with "[org.scala-tools:maven-scala-plugin] was not found"
-U option request to search (on remote repositories) the latest version and to use it.

Sorry again

/davidB

David Ziegler

Jan 8, 2008, 3:52:02 PM1/8/08
to liftweb
David P also mentions that he is running on "mac os x leopard":
Leopard
has an older version of Maven in /usr/bin that seems to be to old to
use the
maven-scala-plugin. Furthermore Leopard does some tricks to try to
put
/usr/bin higher in the path than your dirs.

Specifically, when using the stock maven, "mvn install" dies with:

[INFO] Ignoring available plugin update: 2.2 as it requires Maven
version 2.0.7
[INFO] Ignoring available plugin update: 2.1 as it requires Maven
version 2.0.7
[INFO] Ignoring available plugin update: 2.0 as it requires Maven
version 2.0.7
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The PluginDescriptor for the plugin Plugin [org.scala-
tools:maven-scala-plugin] was not found.

And all works when I get the system to see Maven 2.0.7

- Regards

David Ziegler