Latest NetBeans plugin and NB 6.5 RC2 is wicked great

David Pollak

Nov 7, 2008, 1:06:39 PM11/7/08
to liftweb
Folks,

I was having problems with Scala projects in NetBeans that had moderately complex parser combinator files or referenced moderately complex parser combinator files.  Last night, Caoyuan checked in a fix for the issue.

I'm totally rocking and rolling on NetBeans again and I'm totally impressed by Caoyuan's responsiveness.

Thanks,

David

Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Dano

Nov 7, 2008, 1:20:48 PM11/7/08
to Lift
David,

This is probably a newbie question, but I did not see how to enable
the Updates tab in the Plugins dialog. Do I have to uninstall and
then re-install the Scala Kit plugin to get the update?

Thanks.

Dan

On Nov 7, 10:06 am, "David Pollak" <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was having problems with Scala projects in NetBeans that had moderately
> complex parser combinator files or referenced moderately complex parser
> combinator files. Last night, Caoyuan checked in a fix for the issue.
>
> I'm totally rocking and rolling on NetBeans again and I'm totally impressed
> by Caoyuan's responsiveness.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --
> Collaborative Task Managementhttp://much4.us

Tim Perrett

Nov 7, 2008, 1:31:11 PM11/7/08
to Lift
Out of interest - what's going on with the eclipse support these days?
Is netbeans superior for scala? Or should I just stick to command line
and textmate?

Cheers

Tim

Alex Boisvert

Nov 7, 2008, 1:57:24 PM11/7/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
From a user perspective, I'd say it's getting better every month but still has many rough edges. For example, it's quite easy to get the compile/error log out of control on larger projects.   And at that point, I usually revert to JEdit to get stuff done.

It's a little concerning but at the same time I'm very grateful to see it improve and I don't mean to criticize the work of the developers.

I haven't tried the Netbeans plugin recently so I can't really compare the two.

alex

Miles Sabin

Nov 7, 2008, 2:21:00 PM11/7/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com

I'm subscribed to this list, so if there are Lift specific problems I
should see them fairly promptly.

My understanding is that Lift on 2.7.2 is still a work in progress, so
seeing as the Eclipse plugin requires 2.7.2 it might be early days for
that combination.

As ever I'm keen to make the Lift and Eclipse experience as pain free
as possible, but as ever I need help from the Lift community. Please
try Lift with 2.7.2 and Eclipse and get your feedback to me (tho'
obviously generic 2.7.2 non-Eclipse issues should go to the EPFL Trac
as usual).

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin
tel: +44 (0)1273 720 779

Miles Sabin

Nov 7, 2008, 2:22:30 PM11/7/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Alex Boisvert <bois...@intalio.com> wrote:
> From a user perspective, I'd say it's getting better every month but still
> has many rough edges. For example, it's quite easy to get the compile/error
> log out of control on larger projects. And at that point, I usually revert
> to JEdit to get stuff done.

Have you sent bug reports my way for these?

Jorge Ortiz

Nov 7, 2008, 3:07:35 PM11/7/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Lift on 2.7.2 works just fine as of RC3.

I unfortunately haven't been keeping up with the flurry of RCs. What RC is the Eclipse plugin currently released against? I can update the branch of Lift tracking 2.7.2 to that RC.

But whenever 2.7.2 is released (any day now *crosses fingers*) Lift will upgrade as soon as possible.

--j

Miles Sabin

Nov 7, 2008, 3:09:34 PM11/7/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Jorge Ortiz <jorge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lift on 2.7.2 works just fine as of RC3.
>
> I unfortunately haven't been keeping up with the flurry of RCs. What RC is
> the Eclipse plugin currently released against? I can update the branch of
> Lift tracking 2.7.2 to that RC.
>
> But whenever 2.7.2 is released (any day now *crosses fingers*) Lift will
> upgrade as soon as possible.

Eclipse plugin releases are now simultaneous with scala releases, so
it's the same: 2.7.2.RC6.

Alex Boisvert

Nov 8, 2008, 11:56:57 AM11/8/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Miles Sabin <mi...@milessabin.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Alex Boisvert <bois...@intalio.com> wrote:
> From a user perspective, I'd say it's getting better every month but still
> has many rough edges. For example, it's quite easy to get the compile/error
> log out of control on larger projects.   And at that point, I usually revert
> to JEdit to get stuff done.

Have you sent bug reports my way for these?
My top lame excuses for not creating a bug earlier were that:
1) I was hoping it would get fixed in the next snapshot :) since it did doesn't seem like something that's specific to my project
2) I didn't have a small reproductible test case (my last bugs were marked as not-reproducible)
3) Sean's comments on my mailing list made me realize I use a lot of "unsupported" features that come from the JDT but are not really wired to the Scala plugin yet.  I don't know if "Clean All Project" is even supported but I use it all the time to come back to a consistent state (with Scala and Java projects)

alex

Miles Sabin

Nov 8, 2008, 12:10:11 PM11/8/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Alex Boisvert <bois...@intalio.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Miles Sabin <mi...@milessabin.com> wrote:
> > Have you sent bug reports my way for these?
>
> I've created one now:
> https://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/1490

Thanks.

This is pretty minor tho' ... Eclipse is just showing a subset of the
errors in a known to be non-compiling project. I agree things should
be better, but you'll find that as you fix the errors in your project
the set of errors that Eclipse is reporting will converge to the true
set of errors.

> My top lame excuses for not creating a bug earlier were that:
> 1) I was hoping it would get fixed in the next snapshot :) since it did
> doesn't seem like something that's specific to my project

See above. Feel free to disagree, but this isn't quite at the top of
my list of priorities.

> 2) I didn't have a small reproductible test case (my last bugs were marked
> as not-reproducible)

In this case, that's fine ... it's a known problem.

> 3) Sean's comments on my mailing list made me realize I use a lot of
> "unsupported" features that come from the JDT but are not really wired to
> the Scala plugin yet. I don't know if "Clean All Project" is even supported
> but I use it all the time to come back to a consistent state (with Scala and
> Java projects)

Sean is being Chicken Little again I'm afraid, and in any case, what
you're seeing here isn't related to the JDT.

Yes, there are many JDT features which aren't yet wired up to the
Scala plugin properly, but if you just ignore them things should work
fairly smoothly. In particular cleaning all projects should work just
fine.

Alex Boisvert

Nov 8, 2008, 12:27:59 PM11/8/08
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Miles Sabin <mi...@milessabin.com> wrote:
This is pretty minor tho' ... Eclipse is just showing a subset of the
errors in a known to be non-compiling project. I agree things should
be better, but you'll find that as you fix the errors in your project
the set of errors that Eclipse is reporting will converge to the true
set of errors.

Well, usability is the reason I use Eclipse :)

The type errors show up at the top of the problem view so I have to scroll down all the time to see the "real" errors.   Granted, in most daily work you only have a few outstanding errors since most changes being made are incremental rather than breaking everything like I'm doing right now.

Is there a "Next Error" shortcut that's supported in the Eclipse plugin?  With Java I typically use CTRL-.  (dot).

> My top lame excuses for not creating a bug earlier were that:
> 1) I was hoping it would get fixed in the next snapshot :) since it did
> doesn't seem like something that's specific to my project

See above. Feel free to disagree, but this isn't quite at the top of
my list of priorities.

I completely understand.  I would rather you guys focus on major issues too.    I'm convinced that once you've fixed most of the problems you face yourself (over a long period of time) we'll be very close to something that works for most people.

Yes, there are many JDT features which aren't yet wired up to the
Scala plugin properly, but if you just ignore them things should work
fairly smoothly. In particular cleaning all projects should work just
fine.

Ok, thanks for confirming this.

alex