Lift on Azure

Matt Harrington

Nov 19, 2009, 4:51:02 PM11/19/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Java apps have gotten a lot easier to run on Azure this week. Here's
a video on developing a simple app with Eclipse and deploying in
Tomcat on Azure:

http://microsoftpdc.com/Sessions/SVC50

I don't believe Java on Azure has the same restrictions as Java on
GAE. For example, you can write to the local filesystem and use
threads. Using the REST-based Azure Tables datastore (non-RDBMS) with
Lift's ORM might be tricky, but SQL Azure is available via JDBC. Or,
as far as I know Derby should work.

I think you need to be on Windows to develop though, even though the
example in the video just uses Eclipse. For one thing, the desktop
version of Azure is Windows-only.

David Pollak

Nov 19, 2009, 5:20:36 PM11/19/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Matt Harrington <mbh....@gmail.com> wrote:
Java apps have gotten a lot easier to run on Azure this week.  Here's
a video on developing a simple app with Eclipse and deploying in
Tomcat on Azure:

http://microsoftpdc.com/Sessions/SVC50

Cool!

I don't believe Java on Azure has the same restrictions as Java on
GAE.  For example, you can write to the local filesystem and use
threads.  Using the REST-based Azure Tables datastore (non-RDBMS) with
Lift's ORM might be tricky,

But maybe the Record stuff could work.

but SQL Azure is available via JDBC.  Or,
as far as I know Derby should work.

It'd be interesting to support SQL Azure... I'm betting it's not a material deviation from SQL Server.

I think you need to be on Windows to develop though, even though the
example in the video just uses Eclipse.  For one thing, the desktop
version of Azure is Windows-only.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Derek Chen-Becker

Nov 23, 2009, 5:50:49 PM11/23/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I really thought that you were talking about Azul, which is something I would *love* to run Lift on :)

http://www.azulsystems.com/

Derek

David Pollak

Nov 23, 2009, 5:51:40 PM11/23/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Derek Chen-Becker <dchen...@gmail.com> wrote:
I really thought that you were talking about Azul, which is something I would *love* to run Lift on :)

It can be arranged for the right reason :-)