Any ideas about Liftweb regarding the "DoS against Web Application Platforms" Talk yesterday on 28c3?

Franz Bettag

Dec 29, 2011, 5:43:13 AM12/29/11
to Lift
Good Morning,

yesterday ive been following the 28th Chaos Communication Congress and
saw the Talk about "DoS against Web Application Platforms". It's
really interesting, since most implementations use non-randomized
hashing functions.

The whole paper can be found here
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/attachments/2007_28C3_Effective_DoS_on_web_application_platforms.pdf

I am not sure if this has to be done on Container-level (Jetty,
Tomcat) or if this is somehow "fixable" from the Lift perspective.
(didn't dig too much into the layer how to lift interacts with the
container).

thanks in advance!

David Pollak

Dec 29, 2011, 7:17:31 PM12/29/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  Please open a ticket referencing this thread and the paper and I'll work on it.

Code: http://github.com/lift

Visi.Pro, Cloud Computing for the Rest of Us http://visi.pro

Franz Bettag

Dec 29, 2011, 9:19:29 PM12/29/11
to Lift
strange, i created a ticket but i cannot seem to find it. hmmm

On Dec 30, 1:17 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Interesting.  Please open a ticket referencing this thread and the paper
> and I'll work on it.
>

> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Franz Bettag <fr...@bett.ag> wrote:
> > Good Morning,
>
> > yesterday ive been following the 28th Chaos Communication Congress and
> > saw the Talk about "DoS against Web Application Platforms". It's
> > really interesting, since most implementations use non-randomized
> > hashing functions.
>
> > The whole paper can be found here
>
> >http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahrplan/attachments/2007_28C3_Eff...
>
> > I am not sure if this has to be done on Container-level (Jetty,
> > Tomcat) or if this is somehow "fixable" from the Lift perspective.
> > (didn't dig too much into the layer how to lift interacts with the
> > container).
>
> > thanks in advance!
>
> > --
> > Lift, the simply functional web framework:http://liftweb.net
> > Code:http://github.com/lift
> > Discussion:http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
> > Stuck? Help us help you:
> >https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code
>
> --
> Visi.Pro, Cloud Computing for the Rest of Ushttp://visi.pro

Sandeep Shekhar Prasad

Dec 29, 2011, 10:31:54 PM12/29/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi Franz,

The ticket's link is: http://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/tickets/1176

Cheers,
Sandeep

Franz Bettag

Dec 30, 2011, 7:25:30 AM12/30/11
to Lift
thanks ;)

On Dec 30, 4:31 am, Sandeep Shekhar Prasad <sandeepshek...@gmail.com>

Peter Petersson

Dec 30, 2011, 7:49:49 AM12/30/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Interesting read, it seem like Microsoft is taking this "extraordinary"
serious
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/11/12/29/1352219/microsoft-issuing-unusual-out-of-band-security-update

David Pollak

Dec 30, 2011, 9:44:25 AM12/30/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
If anyone has code that will generate hash collisions for java strings, I'd love to have that code to test the fix.

Diego Medina

Dec 30, 2011, 11:26:41 AM12/30/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com

This may help

https://github.com/koto/blog-kotowicz-net-examples/tree/master/hashcollision

Regards
Diego

Diego
Sent from my android cell

Florian Hars

Dec 31, 2011, 9:20:10 AM12/31/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Am 30.12.2011 15:44, schrieb David Pollak:
> If anyone has code that will generate hash collisions for java strings, I'd love to have that code to test the fix.

Once you have two colliding strings, you can build as many as you
want, see the attached file. The collisions(n) produces an array
with pow(2,n) colliding strings.

And when trying to make sure that all the generated strings are in
fact different, I first tired to use res.toSet.size, but the mutable
Set is based on a hash table, talking about DOSing yourself...

- Florian.

Collisions.scala

David Pollak

Jan 3, 2012, 2:43:40 PM1/3/12