Announcing Lift 2.0

David Pollak

Jun 30, 2010, 4:43:51 PM6/30/10
to David Pollak

Announcing Lift 2.0

June 30th, 2010

The Lift team and the Lift community are proud to announce the availability of Lift 2.0

"Lift is the kind of web framework that enables you as a developer to concentrate on the big picture. Strong, expressive typing and higher-level features like the built-in Comet support allow you to focus on innovating instead of the plumbing. Building a rich, real-time web application like Novell Pulse requires a framework with the power of Lift under the covers."
- David LaPalomento, Developer, Novell

"Foursquare switched over to Scala & Lift last September and we've been thrilled with the results. The ease of developing complex interactive ajax web pages enabled a very rapid port from our previous platform. In addition, the support we've gotten from David Pollak and the rest of the Lift team has been invaluable. It's clear they are very committed to making sure that production Lift deployments get all the attention they need to succeed."
- @harryh, Foursquare Engineering Tech Lead

Lift is an elegant, expressive web framework that allows any size team build and maintain secure, highly interactive, scalable web applicationsquickly and efficiently.  Lift is built on the Scala and compiles to JVM byte-code.  Lift applications deploy as WAR files on popular application servers and web cotainers including Jetty, Glassfish and Tomcat.  Lift applications can be monitored and managed with the same proven infrastructure used to manage and monitor any Java web application.  Lift is open source licensed under an Apache 2.0 license.

Lift features include:

  • Community... the Lift community is 2,000 members strong, super-active and always there to help with questions
  • Best Comet (server-push) support that allows the creation of dynamic application such as Novell Pulse
  • Super simple Ajax for creating highly interactive web applications without worrying about HTTP plumbing
  • Secure by default... Lift apps are resistant to the OWASP top 10 vulnerabilitys including XSS, XSRF, and parameter tampering
  • Concise and Maintainable... Lift apps typically contain fewer lines of code than corresponding Rails apps, yet are type safe so that many errors are flagged by the compiler
  • Scalable... Lift apps scale to millions of users across many servers, yet are highly efficient for single-box implementations
  • Compatible... Lift apps can take advantage of any Java library as well as the growing collection of Scala libraries

Lift 2.0's new features include:

  • NoSQL support including built-in support for MongoDB and CouchDB
  • High performance JSON support including an elegant JSON DSL and bidirectional JSON <-> Class conversion
  • Powerful, concise REST support
  • Support for enterprise infrastructure including JTA and LDAP
  • Declarative systems for single Screen input and validation as well as multiple screen Wizards
  • Radically improved development experience including much better error messages and support for dynamically changing system configuration
  • Support for running Lift apps outside of a J/EE Servlet containers
  • Improved Comet support including modern browser detection and better connection starvation detection
  • Improved support for testing including super-concise dependency injection and run-mode detection
  • Support for Simple Build Tool
  • Performance improvements

Lift-powered sites include:

  • Foursquare -- the multi-million user location based service that will soon surpass 1M+ checkins a day on their Lift-powered system
  • Novell Pulse -- enterprise collaboration software platform based on Google Wave
  • Xerox/XMPie -- the leading provider of software for cross-media, variable data one-to-one marketing
  • Snapsort -- Compare and decide on cameras
  • No Fouls -- Find pickup basketball games
Please join the Lift community and help use grow Lift.  And a super-big thanks to the 30+ Lift committers who have grown the Lift community and code-base to what it is today... and what it will be in the future!

Timothy Perrett

Jun 30, 2010, 4:55:10 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
w00t, congrats everyone!

harryh

Jun 30, 2010, 5:19:48 PM6/30/10
to Lift
Huzzah! A tremendous achievement!

-harryh

TylerWeir

Jun 30, 2010, 5:36:29 PM6/30/10
to Lift
Woop woop.

Mateo Barraza

Jun 30, 2010, 6:35:38 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Haven't looked at Lift for about a year now. It is still using Maven?
or have they realized that Maven is a big turn off for lots of us?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM, TylerWeir <tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Woop woop.

David Pollak

Jun 30, 2010, 6:40:17 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Mateo Barraza <mateo....@gmail.com> wrote:
Haven't looked at Lift for about a year now. It is still using Maven?

Lift does not now nor has it every required Maven as a build system.  You can use any build system you want.

or have they realized that Maven is a big turn off for lots of us?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:36 PM, TylerWeir <tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Woop woop.
>
> --

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Timothy Perrett

Jun 30, 2010, 6:41:22 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
You have always been able to use whatever you want: maven, sbt, ant... It's just a build system.

Cheers, Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Mateo Barraza

Jun 30, 2010, 6:42:57 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
So (for example) its generators work like RoR now, a simple command
line script with NOTHING to do with Maven?

David Pollak

Jun 30, 2010, 6:44:37 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Mateo Barraza <mateo....@gmail.com> wrote:
So (for example) its generators work like RoR now, a simple command
line script with NOTHING to do with Maven?

Lift does not now nor has it ever had generators.

Mateo Barraza

Jun 30, 2010, 6:46:47 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
That's a pity.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:44 PM, David Pollak

Kevin Wright

Jun 30, 2010, 6:47:42 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be RoR

If you choose not to use Lift on the basis that it's not RoR, then the framework stands guilty as charged.

Kevin Wright

mail/google talk: kev.lee...@gmail.com
wave: kev.lee...@googlewave.com
skype: kev.lee.wright
twitter: @thecoda

David Pollak

Jun 30, 2010, 6:48:55 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Mateo Barraza <mateo....@gmail.com> wrote:
That's a pity.

Lift does not need generators.  CRUDify does the job of generators and you just mix it in.

But you know, you're sounding like you're not going to like anything about Lift, so maybe this community isn't the right place for you.

Mateo Barraza

Jun 30, 2010, 7:02:08 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
While looking up CRUDify, I ran into an IBM article about lift which says:

"As mentioned, Lift uses Maven for pretty much everything, including
creating an application. It uses Maven archetypes to create the
project structure."

Now I realize that it does not say that it requires it but it seems
that your life is not any easier without it.
Is that at least accurate?

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM, David Pollak

David Pollak

Jun 30, 2010, 7:09:39 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Mateo Barraza <mateo....@gmail.com> wrote:
While looking up CRUDify, I ran into an IBM article about lift which says:

"As mentioned, Lift uses Maven for pretty much everything, including
creating an application. It uses Maven archetypes to create the
project structure."

Now I realize that it does not say that it requires it but it seems
that your life is not any easier without it.
Is that at least accurate?

No.

You can use Lift with Maven.

You can use Lift with Ant/Ivy (I don't have a link, but given that sbt is built on Ivy, it's a no-brainer)

Lift is a framework of choices, not of constraints.  So, you figure out what you want to do (e.g., what build system you want to use, what kind of view/logic mixing you want to do, etc.) and Lift will most likely accommodate you.

Mateo Barraza

Jun 30, 2010, 7:14:08 PM6/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Already then. I'll take a second gander.

Thanks,

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:09 PM, David Pollak

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jun 30, 2010, 7:29:59 PM6/30/10
to liftweb
By the way is lift itself building yet via sbt or when is it planned to?

Brian Hsu

Jun 30, 2010, 7:43:49 PM6/30/10
to Lift
I'm not sure will the official Lift Framework developer go to using
SBT as their building syatem, but Lift could be itself building using
SBT and it's not hard to do that.

All you have to do is transform Maven pom.xml dependency to SBT
configuration.

I've done this for using SBT to generate scaladoc2 API document.

If you're instresting in this, you may take a look at the following
file and it's works fine with SBT.
http://github.com/brianhsu/liftweb/blob/scaladoc2/framework/project/build/FrameworkProject.scala

This configuration should be very easy to understand if you are
familiar with SBT.
What it has is only set dependency for each project.

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jun 30, 2010, 8:01:15 PM6/30/10
to liftweb
Trying it now, thanks!
I believe the plan is to switch to sbt sometime soon.

Randinn

Jun 30, 2010, 8:50:05 PM6/30/10
to Lift
Great work everyone, thanks for making Lift better with every version.

On Jul 1, 6:43 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>    - Improved Comet support including modern browser detection and better
>    connection starvation detection
>    - Improved support for testing including super-concise dependency
>    injection and run-mode detection
>    - Support for Simple Build Tool<http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/>
>    - Performance improvements
>
> Lift-powered sites include:
>
>    - Foursquare <http://foursquare.com> -- the multi-million user location
>    based service that will soon surpass 1M+ checkins a day on their
>    Lift-powered system
>     - Novell <http://www.novell.com/products/pulse/>
> Pulse<http://www.vimeo.com/7443817>-- enterprise collaboration
> software platform based on Google Wave
>     - Xerox/XMPie <http://www.xmpie.com> -- the leading provider of software
>    for cross-media, variable data one-to-one marketing

Tang Daogang

Jun 30, 2010, 9:24:57 PM6/30/10
to Lift
Great! Congratulations!
> > code-base to what it is today... and what it will be in the future!- 隐藏被引用文字 -
>
> - 显示引用的文字 -

Meddix

Jul 1, 2010, 3:23:15 AM7/1/10
to Lift
There is also a template for Buildr
http://github.com/aboisvert/lift-template

BTW Congratulations for the great job

Meddix

On Jul 1, 12:48 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Mateo Barraza <mateo.barr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > That's a pity.
>
> Lift does not need generators.  CRUDify does the job of generators and you
> just mix it in.
>
> But you know, you're sounding like you're not going to like anything about
> Lift, so maybe this community isn't the right place for you.
>

> > On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:44 PM, David Pollak
> > <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Lift does not now nor has it ever had generators.

> > mateo.barr...@gmail.com>

> > > --
> > > Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
> > > Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
> > > Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
> > > Blog:http://goodstuff.im
> > > Surf the harmonics
>
> > > --
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

purplehaze

Jul 1, 2010, 4:14:32 AM7/1/10
to Lift
Congratulations to all commiters of Lift!

I'm new in this group although I read it permanently.

I have one question.
Wouldn't it be more professional to renew www.liftweb.net page
and put a new announcement and renewed tutorial on lift's own home
page
before announcing new version in groups of lift and scala?

Roman

Timothy Perrett

Jul 1, 2010, 4:47:53 AM7/1/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
We would love to re-do the site; alas, none of us are designers... we've been trying to persuade some design folks to help us out for ages, but we've struggled in this regard for sure.

I dont disagree it needs doing, its just a case of logistics and getting non-geeks to give up their time for a good cause.

Cheers, Tim

AliPanick

Jul 1, 2010, 4:49:43 AM7/1/10
to Lift
Congratulations to all commiters of Lift!

regards,
--
AliPanick

David Pollak

Jul 1, 2010, 8:43:33 AM7/1/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

You mean like the right column that contains:

News

Lift 2.0 Released!

2010/06/30 -- Lift 2.0 is generally available today

Lift's David Pollak interviewed on Twit.tv FLOSS channel

Etc. ?

Roman

purplehaze

Jul 1, 2010, 9:30:51 AM7/1/10
to Lift
No I mean like the left column ... :)

But I seriously start to hate my Firefox.
I haven't seen any changes before I recently stroke 'F5' - refresh
button.

I think meta tag with no-cache would help in case such this and people
with firefox would see new news and not 1 months old :)

On Jul 1, 2:43 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM, purplehaze <roman.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Congratulations to all commiters of Lift!
>
> > I'm new in this group although I read it permanently.
>
> > I have one question.
> > Wouldn't it be more professional to renewwww.liftweb.netpage
> > and put a new announcement and renewed tutorial on lift's own home
> > page
> > before announcing new version in groups of lift and scala?
>
> You mean like the right column that contains:
>
> ------------------------------
> News Lift 2.0 Released! <http://www.liftweb.net/20_release.html>
>
> 2010/06/30 -- Lift 2.0 is generally available today
>  Lift's David Pollak interviewed on Twit.tv FLOSS channel
> <http://twit.tv/floss125> Etc. ?
>

> > Roman
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

greekscala

Jul 5, 2010, 10:27:20 AM7/5/10
to Lift
+1

Thanks Lift people!

On 1 Jul., 14:43, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:14 AM, purplehaze <roman.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Congratulations to all commiters of Lift!
>
> > I'm new in this group although I read it permanently.
>
> > I have one question.
> > Wouldn't it be more professional to renewwww.liftweb.netpage
> > and put a new announcement and renewed tutorial on lift's own home
> > page
> > before announcing new version in groups of lift and scala?
>
> You mean like the right column that contains:
>
> ------------------------------
> News Lift 2.0 Released! <http://www.liftweb.net/20_release.html>
>
> 2010/06/30 -- Lift 2.0 is generally available today
>  Lift's David Pollak interviewed on Twit.tv FLOSS channel
> <http://twit.tv/floss125> Etc. ?
>

> > Roman
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Mark Tye

Jul 10, 2010, 7:36:42 PM7/10/10
to Lift
Hey all, congrats on the new release! I'm already loving the support
for sbt (using it for the "Getting Started" example was a smart move!)
and I'm looking forward to playing around with the rest of the new
features. Nice job, everyone!

- Mark

On Jun 30, 3:43 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>