Misleading error: The Requested URL /admin/orders/new was not found on this server

Trav

Jun 23, 2009, 6:31:34 PM6/23/09
to Lift
The Requested URL /admin/orders/new was not found on this server

So I check my SiteMap: Menu(Loc("New Order", "orders" :: "new" ::
Nil, ?("New Order")))
I check there is a file "orders/new.html" (admin is the web context)
Then I read about site maps, and recheck and try new Locs.
I study my logs.
Hours go by and I'm quite frustrated.

Finally it dawns on me that the error message may be lying to me and I
start to comment out lines from the new.html file -- presto!

Here is the line that I commented out:

Oh, lookie, it's missing a closing td tag. Cuss this, cuss that
commit and go to sleep. So something else should have caught that
(like my IDE), but in the end: lift lied!

-Trav

David Pollak

Jun 23, 2009, 7:31:04 PM6/23/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I hate it when Lift lies... it sucks rubber donkey lungs!!

I've just checked in code that should make this kind of error much more obvious.

I'm sorry for your frustration, but thanks to you and your error report, future Lift users will have a much better time.
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Derek Chen-Becker

Jun 24, 2009, 10:37:47 AM6/24/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Just the other day Lift said it was going to go for a short walk after lunch, but it came back at 2am smelling of cheap vodka. <sigh>