Missing lift-json-ext?

Derek Chen-Becker

Sep 29, 2010, 5:45:18 PM9/29/10
to liftweb
I feel like I've seen something about this before, but I'm pushing #639 to the master branch, but maven fails with:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

Missing:
----------
1) net.liftweb:lift-json-ext:jar:3.0-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=net.liftweb -DartifactId=lift-json-ext -Dversion=3.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

  Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there:
      mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=net.liftweb -DartifactId=lift-json-ext -Dversion=3.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

  Path to dependency:
      1) net.liftweb:lift-mongodb:jar:3.0-SNAPSHOT
      2) net.liftweb:lift-json-ext:jar:3.0-SNAPSHOT

How do I build lift-json-ext so that I can commit this?

Thanks,

Derek

Ross Mellgren

Sep 29, 2010, 6:06:40 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The master branch is not currently in use (3.0-SNAPSHOT isn't a real thing right now) as far as I know. How about 2.x-2.8_devel and 2.x-2.7_devel?

-Ross

Derek Chen-Becker

Sep 29, 2010, 6:16:06 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
2.7 and 2.8 are fine. 3.0 is definitely "future work", but the build shouldn't be broken on any branch, IMHO.

Derek

David Pollak

Sep 29, 2010, 6:29:11 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I think we should make master what is now 2.x-2.8_devel which is the most active branch.
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Ross Mellgren

Sep 29, 2010, 6:30:31 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
+1

Derek Chen-Becker

Sep 29, 2010, 7:13:32 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Works for me. This might be a little messy, but essentially we're looking at merging the 2.x-2.8 branch into master and then removing the 2.x-2.8 branch?

Derek

Ross Mellgren

Sep 29, 2010, 7:40:41 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com
I would think not merge so much as replace wholesale.

-Ross

Derek Chen-Becker

Sep 29, 2010, 9:05:36 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Ah, right. I forgot that "master" is just a pointer to a commit :) So, who's going to do it?

Derek

Ross Mellgren

Sep 29, 2010, 9:14:53 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I can, if we have consensus it's the thing we want to do.

-Ross

David Pollak

Sep 29, 2010, 10:47:41 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Ross Mellgren <dri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can, if we have consensus it's the thing we want to do.

Let's get consensus with an extra special vote from Indrajit who has to do a lot of the build mechanics and make sure it doesn't mess with anything he's got set up.

Derek Chen-Becker

Sep 29, 2010, 11:05:31 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Well, it's +1 from me. If we do move master to point to the current 2.x-2.8_dev branch, we should probably create a new branch called "3.x_dev" that points to the latest master commit, so that we don't orphan the current master commit line. Let's see what Indrajit says.

Derek

David Pollak

Sep 29, 2010, 11:09:36 PM9/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Derek Chen-Becker <dchen...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, it's +1 from me. If we do move master to point to the current 2.x-2.8_dev branch, we should probably create a new branch called "3.x_dev" that points to the latest master commit, so that we don't orphan the current master commit line. Let's see what Indrajit says.

Well, the current master is more is less orphaned, so I would just throw it away... I've put nothing on it and it hasn't been kept up to date with the commits during the 2.1 development.

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Oct 12, 2010, 12:18:55 PM10/12/10
to Lift
Ok, Derek kicked me twice offline so I'll have to weigh in here :)

1. Since the talk and general consensus has been to move 2.x-2.8_devel
to master I assume we are talking of a scala 2.8.x only version on
master.

2. Separately, we had discussed that we would have at least the first
2011 release supporting 2.7 and 2.8 (possibly lift 2.2).

3. Given the current state of deviation between 2.7 and 2.8, it is
difficult to have them in a single branch.

4. #2 and #3 means we cannot have 2.2 on master (unless we have master
for 2.2 on 2.8 and a separate 2.2_2.7 for 2.2 on 2.7 but that would be
confusing imho).

So can we consider something like this:
a. 2.x-2.7_devel and 2.x-2.8_devel continue to serve till 2.2 release
(on 2.7 and 2.8)
b. master staying on what would eventually become 3.x on 2.8.x

Feel free to put in your thoughts here. I admit, I haven't tracked all
the posts so I might have missed one or two crucial ones on this.
Apologies beforehand if I did.

- Indrajit

On Sep 30, 8:09 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Derek Chen-Becker <dchenbec...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Well, it's +1 from me. If we do move master to point to the current
> > 2.x-2.8_dev branch, we should probably create a new branch called "3.x_dev"
> > that points to the latest master commit, so that we don't orphan the current
> > master commit line. Let's see what Indrajit says.
>
> Well, the current master is more is less orphaned, so I would just throw it
> away... I've put nothing on it and it hasn't been kept up to date with the
> commits during the 2.1 development.
>

> > Derek
>
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM, David Pollak <
> > feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Let's get consensus with an extra special vote from Indrajit who has to do
> >> a lot of the build mechanics and make sure it doesn't mess with anything
> >> he's got set up.

> >> --
> >> Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
> >> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
> >> Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
> >> Blog:http://goodstuff.im
> >> Surf the harmonics
>
> >> --
>
> >  --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Oct 12, 2010, 2:11:14 PM10/12/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Indrajit Raychaudhuri
<indr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, Derek kicked me twice offline so I'll have to weigh in here :)
>
> 1. Since the talk and general consensus has been to move 2.x-2.8_devel
> to master I assume we are talking of a scala 2.8.x only version on
> master.
>
> 2. Separately, we had discussed that we would have at least the first
> 2011 release supporting 2.7 and 2.8 (possibly lift 2.2).
>
> 3. Given the current state of deviation between 2.7 and 2.8, it is
> difficult to have them in a single branch.
>
> 4. #2 and #3 means we cannot have 2.2 on master (unless we have master
> for 2.2 on 2.8 and a separate 2.2_2.7 for 2.2 on 2.7 but that would be
> confusing imho).
>
> So can we consider something like this:
> a. 2.x-2.7_devel and 2.x-2.8_devel continue to serve till 2.2 release
> (on 2.7 and 2.8)
> b. master staying on what would eventually become 3.x on 2.8.x
>
> Feel free to put in your thoughts here. I admit, I haven't tracked all
> the posts so I might have missed one or two crucial ones on this.
> Apologies beforehand if I did.

Your proposal means we have to keep 3 branches up to date, probably
not a good use of resources :-)

On a more personally note: When I return to do some serious Scala/Lift
work (hopefully in a not too distant future!) I plan to migrate
completely off of 2.7 and I simply don't have the resources to
contribute new code etc. for both 2.7 and 2.8.

So for me, the sooner we drop 2.7 for new features, the better. Note
that this doesn't mean we should drop support for 2.7. I'm well aware
that not everybody are able to upgrade to 2.8 atm. But imho, we should
soon only backport selected bugfixes to the 2.7 branch.

/Jeppe

Tim Nelson

Oct 12, 2010, 2:20:54 PM10/12/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Indrajit Raychaudhuri

> So can we consider something like this:
> a. 2.x-2.7_devel and 2.x-2.8_devel continue to serve till 2.2 release
> (on 2.7 and 2.8)
> b. master staying on what would eventually become 3.x on 2.8.x

I like this except the master branch part. Is it absolutely necessary
to have a master branch?

If we are going to keep 2 branches going it would be nice to keep them
similar in name.

Whatever we end up using, I'd prefer to only have 2 branches to deal with.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <je...@ingolfs.dk> wrote:

> So for me, the sooner we drop 2.7 for new features, the better. Note
> that this doesn't mean we should drop support for 2.7. I'm well aware
> that not everybody are able to upgrade to 2.8 atm. But imho, we should
> soon only backport selected  bugfixes to the 2.7 branch.

+1

Tim

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 12, 2010, 5:47:56 PM10/12/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
As others in this thread have pointed out, the current 3.0 (master) is not really representative of anything worthwhile. I would propose moving 2.x-2.8_devel to master and moving 2.x-2.7_devel to master_2.7.7. That way, when we drop support for 2.7.7 in the future, we don't need to make any further changes to the branches since master will already be the 2.8 mainline.

Derek

Timothy Perrett

Oct 12, 2010, 6:12:32 PM10/12/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, that probably depends on what people want to do for 3.0... the original reason that we have the main release on a branch was that 3.0 was going to include breaking changes that would not feature in the 2.x series. I still believe this to be the case? I do however agree that the current content of master is completely out of date.

Cheers, Tim

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 12, 2010, 7:28:59 PM10/12/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, until I was told that it was out of date I was merging in all of my commits. Sounds like I was the only one ;)

David Pollak

Oct 13, 2010, 12:12:20 AM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Derek Chen-Becker <dchen...@gmail.com> wrote:
As others in this thread have pointed out, the current 3.0 (master) is not really representative of anything worthwhile. I would propose moving 2.x-2.8_devel to master and moving 2.x-2.7_devel to master_2.7.7. That way, when we drop support for 2.7.7 in the future, we don't need to make any further changes to the branches since master will already be the 2.8 mainline.

+1

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Oct 13, 2010, 3:06:58 AM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Taken, 2.x-2.7_devel would move to master_2.7.7 and 2.x-2.8_devel would
move to master.
Am sending a separate notification so that any commit that has been done
on master only can be taken care of by the respective owner.

- Indrajit

> <mailto:lif...@googlegroups.com>.

> liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com

> <mailto:liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> For more options, visit this group at
>

> --

> <mailto:liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> For more options, visit this group at
>

> --
> Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
> Blog: http://goodstuff.im
> Surf the harmonics

David Pollak

Oct 13, 2010, 1:19:11 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Just to clarify on this point.  I do all my development against 2.7.  Then I use Git cherrypicking to copy the changes to 2.8 and do a little testing against 2.8.

Having 2 live branches incurs about a 15% development overhead for me rather than a 100% overhead.

So for me, the sooner we drop 2.7 for new features, the better. Note
that this doesn't mean we should drop support for 2.7. I'm well aware
that not everybody are able to upgrade to 2.8 atm. But imho, we should
soon only backport selected  bugfixes to the 2.7 branch.

/Jeppe

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 13, 2010, 1:22:41 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I'm updating the commit process page on the Wiki right now to cover this. I do the exact same thing and I think that that's a pretty easy way to do it (work on 2.7, cherry-pick to 2.8)

Derek

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 13, 2010, 1:53:38 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Oct 13, 2010, 1:54:27 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 7:19 PM, David Pollak
<feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

>> On a more personally note: When I return to do some serious Scala/Lift
>> work (hopefully in a not too distant future!) I plan to migrate
>> completely off of 2.7 and I simply don't have the resources to
>> contribute new code etc. for both 2.7 and 2.8.
>
> Just to clarify on this point.  I do all my development against 2.7.  Then I
> use Git cherrypicking to copy the changes to 2.8 and do a little testing
> against 2.8.

This is useful for minor fixes I think. But

1) You can't use any of the nice new 2.8 functionality (Collections,
named/default params, package objects etc), which I think can be put
to good use in Lift.

2) You can't use a 2.8 toolchain. Most IDEs doesn't support 2.7 any
more (I think? At least that's true for Eclipse). Developing on 2.8
might be doable but you run the risk of inadvertently using some of
2.8 features.

> Having 2 live branches incurs about a 15% development overhead for me rather
> than a 100% overhead.

/Jeppe

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 13, 2010, 1:57:41 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, but I think that in the interest of stability for people still on 2.7.7 this is a reasonable price to pay. 2.7.7 support isn't forever, it's a temporary thing while Scala 2.8.x matures.

/Jeppe

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Oct 13, 2010, 1:57:37 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Derek Chen-Becker wrote:
> Edits done:
>
> https://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/wiki?id=liftweb&wiki_id=Process_Tips_and_Tricks_for_comitting_code
> <https://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/wiki?id=liftweb&wiki_id=Process_Tips_and_Tricks_for_comitting_code>

Awesome, thanks!

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Derek Chen-Becker
> <dchen...@gmail.com <mailto:dchen...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I'm updating the commit process page on the Wiki right now to cover
> this. I do the exact same thing and I think that that's a pretty
> easy way to do it (work on 2.7, cherry-pick to 2.8)

+1. once you get hold of cherry-pick and rebase, you suddenly start
feeling git rock harder :)

> Derek
>

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM, David Pollak
> <feeder.of...@gmail.com

> lif...@googlegroups.com <mailto:lif...@googlegroups.com>.

> liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com

> <mailto:liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

> For more options, visit this group at
>

> --
> Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
> Blog: http://goodstuff.im
> Surf the harmonics
>
> --

> <mailto:liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.

Derek Chen-Becker

Oct 13, 2010, 2:00:27 PM10/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Every time I have to hit up Subversion at work I secretly weep (and then use git svn to create my own repo ;) ). I can't imagine how the guys I work with who are stuck using Team Foundation Server must feel...