[ANN] Lift Basics online training $99, Jan 4th 2011 9am PST

David Pollak

Dec 28, 2010, 4:47:27 PM12/28/10
to liftweb, Scala list, scala...@googlegroups.com, chicag...@googlegroups.com
David Pollak is the founder and BDFL of the Lift Framework open source project

Join David for a 4 hour introductory session to Lift. David will cover:

- Lift's View First and Design Friendly templates to mock up the UI of your application
- Associate the UI with application behavior via Lift's snippets
- Explore Lift's Ajax and Comet features by adding interactive features to your app
- Expose your app data via JSON using Lift's REST helpers

The class is open for up to 12 participants.

The price is $99 per participant.  You can pay via PayPal or company check.

All participants must have Java 6 installed on their machine.

Please join David for 4 hours of fun, learning and exploration.

Please register for Lift Basics on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM PST at:

https://student.gototraining.com/9j4r6/register/3723981343245802752

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

work only

Dec 28, 2010, 6:00:26 PM12/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi

If this is an online session, why only 12 participants?

Thanks
Paul

David Pollak

Dec 28, 2010, 6:03:58 PM12/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Because I want to allow the session to be participatory and allow folks to get their questions answered.

David Pollak

Dec 28, 2010, 6:30:04 PM12/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:03 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
Because I want to allow the session to be participatory and allow folks to get their questions answered.

Also, this is the first online course I've ever taught... my ability to learn about how well the course works is better with fewer people.

work only

Dec 28, 2010, 6:33:43 PM12/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
how many places left?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM, David Pollak

David Pollak

Dec 28, 2010, 6:37:21 PM12/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM, work only <vorlo...@gmail.com> wrote:
how many places left?

6

Clint

Dec 29, 2010, 11:59:27 AM12/29/10
to Lift
I see the training class is now full... any idea when you'll do
another session?

-Clint

On Dec 28, 6:37 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM, work only <vorlonsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > how many places left?
>
> 6
>

> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:30 PM, David Pollak
> > <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Also, this is the first online course I've ever taught... my ability to
> > > learn about how well the course works is better with fewer people.

> > > --
> > > Lift, the simply functional web frameworkhttp://liftweb.net
> > > Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
> > > Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
> > > Blog:http://goodstuff.im
> > > Surf the harmonics
>
> > > --
>
> > --
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

Dec 29, 2010, 12:31:52 PM12/29/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Clint <cl...@ccombs.net> wrote:
I see the training class is now full... any idea when you'll do
another session?

Let me see how the first session goes.  If it goes well, I'll be offering more sessions (once or twice a month) and perhaps on varying topics.

bryan hunt

Dec 30, 2010, 7:56:17 AM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 09:31 -0800, David Pollak wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Clint <cl...@ccombs.net> wrote:
> I see the training class is now full... any idea when you'll
> do
> another session?
>
> Let me see how the first session goes. If it goes well, I'll be
> offering more sessions (once or twice a month) and perhaps on varying
> topics.

Will these sessions require a Windows machine or are will they work with
open source video conferencing. (I know it's fully booked now)

Thanks,

Bryan Hunt

David Pollak

Dec 30, 2010, 9:47:46 AM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

The training is done via GotoTraining and requires either a Mac or Windows.  I did a test yesterday (thanks Tyler!!) between the Windows machine I'm using to present and Tyler's Mac and it worked flawlessly (including 2-way screen sharing where I could edit things on Tyler's screen).

I chose to present using a Windows machine because (1) I can record the sessions (the recordings will only be published if everyone in the session agrees to allow publishing) and (2) my Windows machine is much faster than my 4 year old Mac.  The down side is that I had to move my dev environment (git, emacs, sbt, ensime, etc.) over to Windows which was non-trivial.

So, sadly, one cannot participate in the online training sessions with a Linux or Solaris machine... and that's real sad for me because I primarily use Linux.

Thanks,

David

Thanks,

Bryan Hunt

TylerWeir

Dec 30, 2010, 10:45:17 AM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The quality of GoToMeeting has dramatically improved since I last used it.

Looking forward to Tuesday.

Andy Czerwonka

Dec 30, 2010, 10:51:58 AM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, Scala list, scala...@googlegroups.com, chicag...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for sure for the next session.

Chris Reeves

Dec 30, 2010, 10:12:35 AM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
This is slightly off topic, but I ran across StackVM a few months back
and thought it'd make a slick training/presentation tool along with
something like skype. It's effectively a comet based vnc client that
runs in the browser and connects to virtual machines on the server. I
don't know if you've seen it before, but there are demo videos at
http://stackvm.com/

Thanks, Chris

bryan hunt

Dec 30, 2010, 12:20:31 PM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

> session agrees to allow publishing) and (2) my Windows machine is much
> faster than my 4 year old Mac. The down side is that I had to move my
> dev environment (git, emacs, sbt, ensime, etc.) over to Windows which
> was non-trivial.
>
> So, sadly, one cannot participate in the online training sessions with
> a Linux or Solaris machine... and that's real sad for me because I
> primarily use Linux.

Damn, I'm going to have to install a throwaway Win 7 onto a VM. I spent
2 months using a Windows development machine with Cygwin and I just
couldn't hack it ;) (In the sense of cope with)

David Pollak

Dec 30, 2010, 12:48:41 PM12/30/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Yeah... I'm with you.  Perhaps this is an excuse to buy a Netbook and install Hackintosh... ;-)

Timothy Perrett

Dec 30, 2010, 1:15:40 PM12/30/10
to Lift
By the by, I use WebEx a lot corporately, and that works fine for Mac
+ Windows + Linux / Unix (as far as im aware at least). Over the past
few years I have found webex to be most excellent and broadly
compatible with all platforms.

Cheers, Tim

Maarten Koopmans

Dec 31, 2010, 3:50:17 AM12/31/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The session was sold out before I could reply... If that's a problem
(popularity!) then maybe offering paid screencasts like peepcode.com
does as well would be a good idea.

--Maarten