Back in the (Goat) Saddle

David Pollak

Feb 14, 2010, 4:15:52 AM2/14/10
to Scala list, liftweb
Back in June, I started chatting about Goat Rodeo: a highly scalable mechanism for building distributed applications.  My first set of concepts for Goat Rodeo were wrong, most notably trying to do distributed Software Transactional Memory.  I've spent the last bunch of months revising the concept and code for Goat Rodeo... and today, I'm excitied to announce the 0.1 alpha code for Goat Rodeo.

For more info: http://blog.lostlake.org/index.php?/archives/98-Back-in-the-Goat-Saddle.html

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics
Message has been deleted

Naftoli Gugenheim

Feb 14, 2010, 7:37:34 PM2/14/10
to liftweb, Scala list
Real neat!
Is it possible to use Goat Rodeo for an offline distributed system? In other words, several systems need to share a common pool of data but they are not always connected, so they need to each hold their data locally and when they are connected they need to push/pull updates.
Right now I'm looking at using Symmetric-DS but it's a pretty small, tree-like data structure so if there was a more elegant solution for synchronization it would be great.
Thanks!

Peter Robinett

Feb 15, 2010, 12:35:30 PM2/15/10
to Lift
Hi David,

Goat Rodeo sounds cool and your blog post was very interesting. Just
to ask, do you see Goat Rodeo relating to Lift at all (sharing ideas?
code?) or do you see it as something that will take on a life of its
own completely divorced from Lift?

Peter

On Feb 14, 1:15 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Back in June, I started chatting about Goat

> Rodeo<http://blog.lostlake.org/index.php?/archives/94-Lift,-Goat-Rodeo-and-...>:

> a highly scalable mechanism for building distributed applications.  My first
> set of concepts for Goat Rodeo were wrong, most notably trying to do
> distributed Software Transactional Memory.  I've spent the last bunch of
> months revising the concept and code for Goat Rodeo... and today, I'm
> excitied to announce the 0.1 alpha code for Goat

> Rodeo<http://liftweb.assembla.com/spaces/goat_rodeo/stream>
> .
>
> For more info:http://blog.lostlake.org/index.php?/archives/98-Back-in-the-Goat-Sadd...

> --

> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

Feb 15, 2010, 5:46:47 PM2/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Naftoli Gugenheim <nafto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Real neat!
Is it possible to use Goat Rodeo for an offline distributed system?

Sure.  Goat Rodeo depends on some non-HTTP parts of Lift (although WebKit gets pulled in via Mapper, but we need to split out the DB stuff from the rest of Mapper as well as some other stuff [shared between Mapper and Record] into separate packages... that'll happen after Lift is on 2.8 and we have package objects).

So, you can run Goat Rodeo stand-alone.

David Pollak

Feb 15, 2010, 5:51:46 PM2/15/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Peter Robinett <pe...@bubblefoundry.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Goat Rodeo sounds cool and your blog post was very interesting.

Thanks.

Just
to ask, do you see Goat Rodeo relating to Lift at all (sharing ideas?
code?)

Goat Rodeo sits on top of some of Lift's "common" code and that will continue.  So far, Goat Rodeo's requirements have impacted some of Lift's stuff including Actor changes (see stuff in the 280_port_refresh branch that's related to issue #335).

or do you see it as something that will take on a life of its
own completely divorced from Lift?

I expect that it will.  Right now, Goat Rodeo is tightly integrated with Scala, but I expect to make the Goat accessible via any JVM language and even as a network service (Jonas has done a fantastic job of this with Akka and I'm going to borrow a little from his playbook ;-) ).

I certainly hope that folks that choose Lift might also choose Goat Rodeo and vice versa, but I don't want to make one the requirement for the other.

wrote:
> Back in June, I started chatting about Goat
> a highly scalable mechanism for building distributed applications.  My first
> set of concepts for Goat Rodeo were wrong, most notably trying to do
> distributed Software Transactional Memory.  I've spent the last bunch of
> months revising the concept and code for Goat Rodeo... and today, I'm
> excitied to announce the 0.1 alpha code for Goat
> Rodeo<http://liftweb.assembla.com/spaces/goat_rodeo/stream>
> .
>
> For more info:http://blog.lostlake.org/index.php?/archives/98-Back-in-the-Goat-Sadd...
>
> --