PhET Website

samreid

Apr 4, 2009, 1:05:05 AM4/4/09
to Lift
Lift community,

My name is Sam Reid, I'm a Java + Scala developer for PhET Interactive
Simulations at http://phet.colorado.edu/. We produce free, open
source educational science simulations for college and high school-
level students. We are considering porting our website to Lift and
adding some functionality such as internationalization. I was
wondering if there are any Lift developers who would be interested in
this work. If you're interested, please look through our existing
website at http://phet.colorado.edu/ and provide a time/price estimate
to me at reids at colorado dot edu. We have some existing databases
that would need to be supported, and the existing code is PHP+HTML
+JavaScript. We currently average about 200,000 pageviews/day, and
we'll need to make sure that Lift is capable of this and more. Please
let me know if you have questions or comments.

Thanks,
Sam Reid

David Pollak

Apr 5, 2009, 9:09:36 AM4/5/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

My experience with Lift apps is that 200K page views a day (which probably peaks at 20K/hr and 2K/min in the peak times) is not a problem on a modern server (e.g., 1-2Ghz dual opteron or xeon).

The Lift community is here to serve you and help with the project and if there are any performance shortcomings, please let me know.  I consider these defects and will fix them.

Between the work that Marius, Viktor, and Tim have done, I think that Lift has a good localization story... but if we need to add features, please let us know.

Personally, I'll donate 2 hours a week to your project to be used however you think is best.  I'm looking forward to something that my kids will be able to use in a few years.

Thanks,

David

 Please
let me know if you have questions or comments.

Thanks,
Sam Reid

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

Timothy Perrett

Apr 5, 2009, 12:18:05 PM4/5/09
to Lift
Hey Sam,

I'm currently working on some heavily localized lift systems that
localize database content, template content and can handle both LTR
languages and RTL languages (hebrew and arabic). Im making heavy use
of LRU caches for string storage and management too and its super
sweet. The bottom line, Lift is awesome for localization and I
currently have no ceilings or issues with our current implementation.

Do you have a check list for localization functionality you require?

Thanks

Tim

On Apr 5, 2:09 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM, samreid <samrr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lift community,
>
> > My name is Sam Reid, I'm a Java + Scala developer for PhET Interactive
> > Simulations athttp://phet.colorado.edu/.  We produce free, open
> > source educational science simulations for college and high school-
> > level students.  We are considering porting our website to Lift and
> > adding some functionality such as internationalization.  I was
> > wondering if there are any Lift developers who would be interested in
> > this work.  If you're interested, please look through our existing
> > website athttp://phet.colorado.edu/and provide a time/price estimate
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Kris Nuttycombe

Apr 5, 2009, 1:56:52 PM4/5/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sam,

I'm a Java/Scala developer living in Boulder, so if you'd like to meet
some time and talk about your project just let me know. I'm fully
bogged down with work at the moment so I'm not really looking for
work, but I'm always glad to hear about other locals who are using
these tools.

Kris

Viktor Klang

Apr 5, 2009, 2:47:04 PM4/5/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Tim, that's supersweet to hear man!

Viktor,
Rogue Software Architect

samreid

Apr 7, 2009, 11:29:10 AM4/7/09
to Lift
David,

Thanks for your feedback on the performance, scalability and
localization capabilities of Lift, and for your generous offer to help
with our project (I'm sure you are very busy). I'll be in touch with
you if/when we start down the Lift path.

Thanks again,
Sam Reid

On Apr 5, 7:09 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM, samreid <samrr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Lift community,
>
> > My name is Sam Reid, I'm a Java + Scala developer for PhET Interactive
> > Simulations athttp://phet.colorado.edu/.  We produce free, open
> > source educational science simulations for college and high school-
> > level students.  We are considering porting our website to Lift and
> > adding some functionality such as internationalization.  I was
> > wondering if there are any Lift developers who would be interested in
> > this work.  If you're interested, please look through our existing
> > website athttp://phet.colorado.edu/and provide a time/price estimate
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

samreid

Apr 7, 2009, 11:32:32 AM4/7/09
to Lift
Tim,

Thanks for your feedback on Lift localization; we do intend to support
LTR and RTL languages, so it's good to hear about your positive
experience. We are hoping to make it very easy for customers to
translate our web pages (we already have a nice way to translate our
educational simulations), but I'm imagining localization to be a
fairly easy addition to the project, without too many bells and
whistles. At this point I'm more concerned about the time and cost to
replicate our existing PHP/JavaScript/HTML/database functionality.

Sam Reid

On Apr 5, 10:18 am, Timothy Perrett <timo...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
> Hey Sam,
>
> I'm currently working on some heavily localized lift systems that
> localize database content, template content and can handle both LTR
> languages and RTL languages (hebrew and arabic). Im making heavy use
> of LRU caches for string storage and management too and its super
> sweet. The bottom line, Lift is awesome for localization and I
> currently have no ceilings or issues with our current implementation.
>
> Do you have a check list for localization functionality you require?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim
>
> On Apr 5, 2:09 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:05 PM, samreid <samrr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Lift community,
>
> > > My name is Sam Reid, I'm a Java + Scala developer forPhETInteractive
> > > Simulations athttp://phet.colorado.edu/.  We produce free, open
> > > source educational science simulations for college and high school-
> > > level students.  We are considering porting our website to Lift and
> > > adding some functionality such as internationalization.  I was
> > > wondering if there are any Lift developers who would be interested in
> > > this work.  If you're interested, please look through our existing
> > > website athttp://phet.colorado.edu/andprovide a time/price estimate

Timothy Perrett

Apr 7, 2009, 6:01:17 PM4/7/09
to Lift
Sam, you are welcome! If you are interested in deep localization,
please look at the recently added:

type ResourceBundleFactoryPF = PartialFunction[(String,Locale),
ResourceBundle]

Localization can be as easy or as complicated as you make it. Im not
familiar with your site in particular or what you need, but combining
template localization (e.g index_fr_FR, index_hu_HU), .properties
resource bundles and resource bundle factories, there really isnt
anything you cant do!

Good luck with your project.

Cheers, Tim