Problem with jQuery/JavaScript and Liftweb because of Doctype

閲覧: 20 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

fbettag

未読、
2009/06/30 1:39:532009/06/30
To: Lift
Hey guys, i've been having troubles with jQuery and Firefox/Safari due
to the missing Doctype all night long:

Uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)
[nsIDOMNSHTMLElement.innerHTML]“ nsresult: “0×80004003
(NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)” location: “JS frame :: http://yourserver/include/jquery.js
:: anonymous :: line 11″ data: no]

The issue is described here, altho it kinda "is" somehow faulty xml on
my part: http://fitzsimmons.ca/jquery-xhtml-11-strict-and-ns_error_invalid_pointer/

Is there any way to prepend a DocType? Searching the group didn't turn
anything useful up.

Best regards

fbettag

未読、
2009/06/30 2:07:432009/06/30
To: Lift
On Safari i get "Error: NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR: DOM Exception 7".
This seems to be a safari 4 specific problem due to content-type text/
html+xml. See http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/de95e8adf9c0ffb7

On Jun 30, 7:39 am, fbettag <fr...@bett.ag> wrote:
> Hey guys, i've been having troubles with jQuery and Firefox/Safari due
> to the missing Doctype all night long:
>
> Uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
> 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)
> [nsIDOMNSHTMLElement.innerHTML]" nsresult: "0×80004003
> (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame ::http://yourserver/include/jquery.js
> :: anonymous :: line 11″ data: no]
>
> The issue is described here, altho it kinda "is" somehow faulty xml on
> my part:http://fitzsimmons.ca/jquery-xhtml-11-strict-and-ns_error_invalid_poi...

Timothy Perrett

未読、
2009/06/30 4:12:242009/06/30
To: Lift
Can you be a bit more specific? Is the whole page missing a doctype?
or just your ajax stuff?

If you could post both the html output code and the calling scala code
in question that would help a lot.

Cheers, Tim

On Jun 30, 6:39 am, fbettag <fr...@bett.ag> wrote:
> Hey guys, i've been having troubles with jQuery and Firefox/Safari due
> to the missing Doctype all night long:
>
> Uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
> 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)
> [nsIDOMNSHTMLElement.innerHTML]" nsresult: "0×80004003
> (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame ::http://yourserver/include/jquery.js
> :: anonymous :: line 11″ data: no]
>
> The issue is described here, altho it kinda "is" somehow faulty xml on
> my part:http://fitzsimmons.ca/jquery-xhtml-11-strict-and-ns_error_invalid_poi...

David Pollak

未読、
2009/06/30 17:48:332009/06/30
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
What missing doctype?

2009/6/29 fbettag <fr...@bett.ag>

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Git some: http://github.com/dpp

fbettag

未読、
2009/06/30 22:07:082009/06/30
To: Lift
To describe it a little cleaner:

in Safari 4, whenever i try to $('#foo').load('/some.html'), it fails
with "Error: NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR: DOM Exception 7" since the
content-type is text/html+xml.
described here: http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/de95e8adf9c0ffb7

in Firefox there is a similar problem (error up at the first post)
which happens because FF kinda sees an error on the lift-generated
XHTML/XML which is caused because the doctype seems to be strict by
default (i guess).
described here: http://fitzsimmons.ca/jquery-xhtml-11-strict-and-ns_error_invalid_pointer/

I put up some really simple stuff in 'some.html' with 4 html tags, and
it fails on Safari and on Firefox.

When i try to set the Doctype to transitional, the Browser seems to
ignore it somehow, i guess it's because of the <?xml?> tag that occurs
before the doctype.

Is anyone else here using $("..").load('url') on a lift'ed project?

On Jun 30, 11:48 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> What missing doctype?
>
> 2009/6/29 fbettag <fr...@bett.ag>
>

> > On Safari i get "Error: NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR: DOM Exception 7".
> > This seems to be a safari 4 specific problem due to content-type text/
> > html+xml. See
> >http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/de95e8a...
>
> > On Jun 30, 7:39 am, fbettag <fr...@bett.ag> wrote:
> > > Hey guys, i've been having troubles with jQuery and Firefox/Safari due
> > > to the missing Doctype all night long:
>
> > > Uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
> > > 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)
> > > [nsIDOMNSHTMLElement.innerHTML]" nsresult: "0×80004003
> > > (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame ::
> >http://yourserver/include/jquery.js
> > > :: anonymous :: line 11″ data: no]
>
> > > The issue is described here, altho it kinda "is" somehow faulty xml on
> > > my part:
> >http://fitzsimmons.ca/jquery-xhtml-11-strict-and-ns_error_invalid_poi...
>
> > > Is there any way to prepend a DocType? Searching the group didn't turn
> > > anything useful up.
>
> > > Best regards
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

未読、
2009/06/30 22:58:492009/06/30
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
Please fork this project http://github.com/dpp/lift_1_1_sample/tree/master and provide an example of the failure.  I'll knock something together than overcomes the problem.

2009/6/30 fbettag <fr...@bett.ag>

fbettag

未読、
2009/07/07 20:45:162009/07/07
To: Lift
Sorry this is giving me headaches. I don't even know what to look
for.. :(
The Problem is also described here: http://www.nabble.com/Namespace-failure-td21982365s27240.html

Is there anyway i can spoof the content-type for a comet actor from
application/xhtml+xml to something else? like text/html or only
application/xhtml.
That would fix the issue for now.

best regards

On 1 Jul., 04:58, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please fork this projecthttp://github.com/dpp/lift_1_1_sample/tree/masterand
> provide
> an example of the failure. I'll knock something together than
> overcomes the problem.
>
> 2009/6/30 fbettag <fr...@bett.ag>
>

> > To describe it a little cleaner:
>
> > in Safari 4, whenever i try to $('#foo').load('/some.html'), it fails
> > with "Error: NO_MODIFICATION_ALLOWED_ERR: DOM Exception 7" since the
> > content-type is text/html+xml.
> > described here:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/de95e8a...
>
> > in Firefox there is a similar problem (error up at the first post)
> > which happens because FF kinda sees an error on the lift-generated
> > XHTML/XML which is caused because the doctype seems to be strict by
> > default (i guess).
> > described here:
> >http://fitzsimmons.ca/jquery-xhtml-11-strict-and-ns_error_invalid_poi...

David Pollak

未読、
2009/07/07 23:03:422009/07/07
To: lif...@googlegroups.com

2009/7/7 fbettag <fr...@bett.ag>

Sorry this is giving me headaches. I don't even know what to look
for.. :(
The Problem is also described here: http://www.nabble.com/Namespace-failure-td21982365s27240.html

Is there anyway i can spoof the content-type for a comet actor from
application/xhtml+xml to something else? like text/html or only
application/xhtml.
That would fix the issue for now.

I don't understand what the problem is.  Please write some code that reproduces it so I can actually see *exactly* where the problem is happening for you.  Only then can I debug it.

fbettag

未読、
2009/07/08 4:47:012009/07/08
To: Lift
The Problem isn't in Scala nor in Lift nor in jQuery. It's a Firefox
bug when it gets Content-Type application/xhtml+xml. Same for Safari.

Just try $("myobject").load("/some/url/from/lift/with/html/output")
with JavaScript on any Lift problem.

I don't know why you would want to debug a lift-app when all the links
i've posted so far show problems with the Browser's implementation of
application/html+xml, NOT lift.

fbettag

未読、
2009/07/08 5:19:222009/07/08
To: Lift
*Any Lift Project, not Problem. Sorry ;)

Viktor Klang

未読、
2009/07/08 8:09:482009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
We want lift to work on those platforms. We need a work-around
--
Viktor Klang
Scala Loudmouth

marius d.

未読、
2009/07/08 8:27:342009/07/08
To: Lift
Actually I had the same problem with with Javeline on FF. Once I
changed the content-type in the HTTP response to text/html it worked
just fine.

Br's,
Marius

Kevin Wright

未読、
2009/07/08 8:32:512009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
Puts us in the rather interesting position of being a Java-based framework that only works on internet explorer...

marius d.

未読、
2009/07/08 8:34:152009/07/08
To: Lift
huh ?

On Jul 8, 3:32 pm, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Puts us in the rather interesting position of being a Java-based framework
> that only works on internet explorer...

Kevin Wright

未読、
2009/07/08 8:36:522009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
If it's broken on firefox, and on safari, then I'm guessing that it's also broken on any other WebKit derived browser
That leaves opera, chrome and IE, of which only IE has any serious market penetration...

marius d.

未読、
2009/07/08 9:00:292009/07/08
To: Lift
These are specific cases failing independent of Lift and perhaps even
JQuery. There are numerous Lift apps out there working fine on all
these browsers. From here making a statement that Lift is broken on FF
or Safari or "Java-based framework that only works on internet
explorer" .. is simply a fallacy.

Besides if you don't really need xhtml you can set it to html from
LiftRules.

Br's,
Marius

On Jul 8, 3:36 pm, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> If it's broken on firefox, and on safari, then I'm guessing that it's also
> broken on any other WebKit derived browser
> That leaves opera, chrome and IE, of which only IE has any serious market
> penetration...

Timothy Perrett

未読、
2009/07/08 9:01:262009/07/08
To: Lift
Am I missing something here, but wouldnt whatever error your facing be
solved with:

LiftRules.useXhtmlMimeType = false

This then uses text/html which from what your saying above should fix
your problem right?

Cheers, Tim

Matt Williams

未読、
2009/07/08 9:03:382009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
I dont understand what you mean. Internet explorer is what is
malfunctioning as its ignoring the (incorrectly set) content-type.
Simply set the correct content-type for the type of content you are
returning and you shouldn't have any problems.

--

Matt Williams
Chief Platform Architect & Managing Director

ma...@makeable.co.uk
Web: www.makeable.co.uk
Tel: 02920 007543 Mob: 07958 208482

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of Makeable Solutions Ltd.

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a
result of software viruses. It is your responsibility to carry out such
virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment which may
be included with this message.

Kevin Wright

未読、
2009/07/08 9:12:192009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
Uh-oh, looks like I'm going to be flagged as a troll, I should have remembered the winking smiley ;)
Especially as I'm working with Lift and Firefox myself!

But there is a serious point here, to get lift into the mainstream I guess we have to work within the constraints of browser flaws.
So are there any issues in defaulting to useXhtmlMimeType = false ?  Maybe even add a small note in the JavaDoc to warn against problems in setting it to be true

marius d.

未読、
2009/07/08 9:17:402009/07/08
To: Lift
Lift does a lot of thing to properly cope with browsers idiosyncrasies
(IE mostly ... doh .. :) ...) ... perhaps not using xhtml mimetype
affects SVG usage ? ...Other case that I'm thinking of is to use CSS
tricks that applies for certain browsers but only works for xhtml for
instance:

.myclass {
height: 100px; // applicable on all browsers
_height: 100px // applicable on IE6 only
*height: 100px // applicable on IE7+
}

But I'm not sure if many people users are actually using this.

Br's,
Marius

On Jul 8, 4:12 pm, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Uh-oh, looks like I'm going to be flagged as a troll, I should have
> remembered the winking smiley ;)
> Especially as I'm working with Lift and Firefox myself!
>
> But there is a serious point here, to get lift into the mainstream I guess
> we have to work within the constraints of browser flaws.
> So are there any issues in defaulting to useXhtmlMimeType = false ?  Maybe
> even add a small note in the JavaDoc to warn against problems in setting it
> to be true
>
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Matt Williams <m...@makeable.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I dont understand what you mean. Internet explorer is what is
> > malfunctioning as its ignoring the (incorrectly set) content-type.
> > Simply set the correct content-type for the type of content you are
> > returning and you shouldn't have any problems.
>
> > Kevin Wright wrote:
> > > Puts us in the rather interesting position of being a Java-based
> > > framework that only works on internet explorer...
>
> > m...@makeable.co.uk
> > Web:www.makeable.co.uk
> > Tel: 02920 007543  Mob: 07958 208482

> > intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
>
> > Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
> > not necessarily represent those of Makeable Solutions Ltd.
>
> > We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a
> > result of software viruses. It is your responsibility to carry out such

> read more »

Timothy Perrett

未読、
2009/07/08 9:18:192009/07/08
To: Lift
Kevin,

I've noticed a few issues with html entities, but other than that im
fairly sure there are no crazy side effects. Have you tried it with
your app? Does it fix the problem?

Cheers, Tim

On Jul 8, 2:12 pm, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Uh-oh, looks like I'm going to be flagged as a troll, I should have
> remembered the winking smiley ;)
> Especially as I'm working with Lift and Firefox myself!
>
> But there is a serious point here, to get lift into the mainstream I guess
> we have to work within the constraints of browser flaws.
> So are there any issues in defaulting to useXhtmlMimeType = false ? Maybe
> even add a small note in the JavaDoc to warn against problems in setting it
> to be true
>
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Matt Williams <m...@makeable.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I dont understand what you mean. Internet explorer is what is
> > malfunctioning as its ignoring the (incorrectly set) content-type.
> > Simply set the correct content-type for the type of content you are
> > returning and you shouldn't have any problems.
>
> > Kevin Wright wrote:
> > > Puts us in the rather interesting position of being a Java-based
> > > framework that only works on internet explorer...
>
> > m...@makeable.co.uk
> > Web:www.makeable.co.uk
> > Tel: 02920 007543 Mob: 07958 208482

> > intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
>
> > Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
> > not necessarily represent those of Makeable Solutions Ltd.
>
> > We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a
> > result of software viruses. It is your responsibility to carry out such

> read more »

fbettag

未読、
2009/07/08 9:25:092009/07/08
To: Lift
This fixes the problem, indeed. There is only one side-effect, when
you turn that on, all your " in script-blocks (<script type="text/
javascript">) get translated to &quot;
maybe an exception should be made to not escape stuff in script-
blocks ;)

thanks!

Timothy Perrett

未読、
2009/07/08 9:27:302009/07/08
To: Lift
Great - glad that fixed it.

I generally only use ' within my javascript anyway, because IE does
not like " marks...

Cheers, Tim

Matt Williams

未読、
2009/07/08 9:31:262009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried designating the content as CDATA? That would be the
correct method for inline javascript.

eg:

<script type="text/javascript">
<![CDATA
var myString = "this is a string";
]]>
</script>
--

Matt Williams
Chief Platform Architect & Managing Director
Makeable Solutions Ltd

ma...@makeable.co.uk
Web: www.makeable.co.uk
Tel: 02920 007543 Mob: 07958 208482

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are

Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of Makeable Solutions Ltd.

We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a
result of software viruses. It is your responsibility to carry out such

Timothy Perrett

未読、
2009/07/08 9:39:012009/07/08
To: Lift
Thats a very fair point - using CDATA should negate the problem;
however im still fairly sure that IE doesnt like double quotes.

Cheers, Tim

Kevin Wright

未読、
2009/07/08 9:34:222009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
Interesting take... There definitely seems to be a growing need for working with css files as something beyond static text files.

I know we already have some limited processing in place for handling root paths, and the idea has been raised before that we could maybe merge multiple files into a single css for performance reasons.  Maybe this should be another driver towards offering richer CSS processing, it would be a good unique selling point!

marius d.

未読、
2009/07/08 10:11:302009/07/08
To: Lift
Actually I added a while ago a fixCss feature that deals with root
relative paths where context path is pre-pended. Please see
LiftRules.fixCss.

Br's,
Marius

On Jul 8, 4:34 pm, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Interesting take... There definitely seems to be a growing need for working
> with css files as something beyond static text files.
>
> I know we already have some limited processing in place for handling root
> paths, and the idea has been raised before that we could maybe merge
> multiple files into a single css for performance reasons.  Maybe this should
> be another driver towards offering richer CSS processing, it would be a good
> unique selling point!

Kevin Wright

未読、
2009/07/08 10:16:372009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
I've already used it :)

David Pollak

未読、
2009/07/08 12:39:112009/07/08
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

This thread troubles me a lot.

There are a lot of English words being thrown around.  A few accusations (joking or no) thrown around about Lift's incompatibility.  But there has been no solid reproducible examples of an actual failure of Lift, jQuery, Firefox/Safari, etc.

Lift uses XHTML by default.  While Lift does not validate your XHMTL, Lift does faithfully render the XHTML that you supply.  Lift allows for setting of header, doc types, etc. to your heart's content.

If there is a problem with some combination of partial loading of pages, a particular JavaScript library, a particular browser etc. in Lift, I'm all for finding a solution to the problem.  But, it's up to the person (or people) asking for help to put together an example that demonstrates the problem.  It's not up to the folks on the list to divine the problem and build their own reproducible case based on a few vague English-based descriptions and a few lines of JavaScript.

In the future, when one of us asks for an example of the problem in action, please put one together.  That's the best way to get help.

Thanks,

David

fbettag

未読、
2009/07/08 22:40:252009/07/08
To: Lift
using CDATA makes maven compile break. Altho i've been coding
javascript for quite some time (like 8 years), and i've never seen IE
complaining about double quotes ;)

David Pollak

未読、
2009/07/09 13:54:362009/07/09
To: lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM, fbettag <fr...@bett.ag> wrote:

using CDATA makes maven compile break. Altho i've been coding
javascript for quite some time (like 8 years), and i've never seen IE
complaining about double quotes ;)

Please provide an example of the CDATA making Maven break.

I've got plenty of CDATA sections in my templates... they look like:

<script>
// <![CDATA[
alert("Yes");
// ]]>
</script>

On Jul 8, 3:39 pm, Timothy Perrett <timo...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
> Thats a very fair point - using CDATA should negate the problem;
> however im still fairly sure that IE doesnt like double quotes.
>
> Cheers, Tim
>
> On Jul 8, 2:31 pm, Matt Williams <m...@makeable.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > Have you tried designating the content as CDATA? That would be the
> > correct method for inline javascript.
>
> > eg:
>
> > <script type="text/javascript">
> > <![CDATA