Next Lift version will be 2.0

Heiko Seeberger

Dec 7, 2009, 3:32:22 AM12/7/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Lifters,

Maybe you followed the discussion about the versioning policy for Lift. The committers finally decided to have a well defined versioning policy which you can take from here: http://wiki.github.com/dpp/liftweb/about-versioning-policy.

Following this policy the next Lift version will be 2.0, not 1.1, because there are numerous changes and enhancements breaking the source compatibility. As soon as we change the version numbers in the Maven POMs, we will let you know via the lift-announce mailing list.

Best regards,

Heiko

My job: weiglewilczek.com
My blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net

Timothy Perrett

Dec 7, 2009, 5:53:26 AM12/7/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Heiko,

This is great - can you work with IRC to arrange a time to changes the poms to 2.0-SNAPSHOT?

Cheers, Tim

David Pollak

Dec 7, 2009, 9:22:17 AM12/7/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Heiko,

Thank you for shepherding this issue through and giving us a sane and well defined naming process.

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Dec 7, 2009, 12:41:41 PM12/7/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Heiko,

Grand stuff!

Indeed, I was wondering if we could sync this up with the Round 2 of
Refactoring exercise
(http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/450a3e741999b5df).
New structure, new version.

I am working on this refactoring in a private copy and am planning to
publish the branch once M8 is out (assuming original schedule of 2 weeks
from 27th Nov). Would this work with you?

Cheers, Indrajit

On 07/12/09 4:23 PM, Timothy Perrett wrote:
> Heiko,
>
> This is great - can you work with IRC to arrange a time to changes the
> poms to 2.0-SNAPSHOT?
>
> Cheers, Tim
>
> On 7 Dec 2009, at 08:32, Heiko Seeberger wrote:
>
>> Lifters,
>>
>> Maybe you followed the discussion about the versioning policy for
>> Lift. The committers finally decided to have a well defined versioning
>> policy which you can take from here:
>> http://wiki.github.com/dpp/liftweb/about-versioning-policy.
>>
>> Following this policy the next Lift version will be 2.0, not 1.1,
>> because there are numerous changes and enhancements breaking the
>> source compatibility. As soon as we change the version numbers in the
>> Maven POMs, we will let you know via the lift-announce mailing list.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Heiko
>>
>> My job: weiglewilczek.com <http://weiglewilczek.com/>
>> My blog: heikoseeberger.name <http://heikoseeberger.name/>
>> Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger <http://twitter.com/hseeberger>
>> OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org <http://scalamodules.org/>
>> Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net
>> <http://liftweb.net/>

Josh Suereth

Dec 7, 2009, 5:14:31 PM12/7/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Heiko,

Just curious what the difference between Major and Minor truly is as both can break source/binary compatibility?   My feeling here is that sticking to strick source-compatibility for minor releases is actually a bonus.

The other question I have is about deprecations.   What's your plan for handling these?   When can deprecated features be removed, etc.   That might feed into the source-compatibility issues in minor versions.

I think this is great stuff!  Whatever is decided here will help shape the future of the Scala community's versioning, so I hope you don't mind my pestering ;)

- Josh

Heiko Seeberger

Dec 8, 2009, 1:23:54 AM12/8/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
2009/12/7 Josh Suereth <joshua....@gmail.com>

Just curious what the difference between Major and Minor truly is as both can break source/binary compatibility?   My feeling here is that sticking to strick source-compatibility for minor releases is actually a bonus.

Major changes (e.g. moving/renaming an API class, changing an API method's signature, etc.) will break source compatibility for sure, i.e. for "users" and "implementers". Minor changes (e.g. adding an abstract method to an API trait) will at maximum break source compatibility for "implementers". So from a "user's" perspective minor changes add new stuff which could be used but do not break source compatibility, whereas major changes will require changing the source code.

Examples: Renaming LiftRules to LiftConfig is a major change, adding a second parameter to LiftRules.parseDate is also a major change. But adding a second method LiftRules.parseDate is only a minor change (in this case even binary compatibility should be given).

The other question I have is about deprecations.   What's your plan for handling these?   When can deprecated features be removed, etc.   That might feed into the source-compatibility issues in minor versions.

This is a good question and I do not have a plan yet ;-) As a first shot I would say that deprecated features have to survive all minor changes (must not break source compatibility for "users") and maybe one major change. The latter is the question we have to discuss ...

I think this is great stuff!  Whatever is decided here will help shape the future of the Scala community's versioning, so I hope you don't mind my pestering ;)

Don't worry ;-)

Heiko

Heiko Seeberger

Dec 9, 2009, 12:31:52 PM12/9/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Indrajit,

Sorry for the very late reply :-(

2009/12/7 Indrajit Raychaudhuri <indr...@gmail.com>
Grand stuff!

Thank you!

Indeed, I was wondering if we could sync this up with the Round 2 of
Refactoring exercise
(http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/450a3e741999b5df).
New structure, new version.

Definitely yes!

I am working on this refactoring in a private copy and am planning to
publish the branch once M8 is out (assuming original schedule of 2 weeks
from 27th Nov). Would this work with you?

+1

Heiko

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Dec 9, 2009, 1:58:39 PM12/9/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On 09/12/09 11:01 PM, Heiko Seeberger wrote:
> Indrajit,
>
> Sorry for the very late reply :-(
>
> 2009/12/7 Indrajit Raychaudhuri <indr...@gmail.com
> <mailto:indr...@gmail.com>>
>
> Grand stuff!
>

> Thank you!
>
> Indeed, I was wondering if we could sync this up with the Round 2 of
> Refactoring exercise
> (http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/450a3e741999b5df).
> New structure, new version.
>

> Definitely yes!
>
> I am working on this refactoring in a private copy and am planning to
> publish the branch once M8 is out (assuming original schedule of 2 weeks
> from 27th Nov). Would this work with you?
>

> +1

Wonderful! I'll circulate an update once I publish the 'all new' 2.x
branch after M8.