New logging code is in master

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Feb 28, 2010, 11:14:29 AM2/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The new logging code is now in master and should be fully usable.
Therefore, the existing logging code has been deprecated.

I've added a Wiki article here:
http://wiki.github.com/dpp/liftweb/logging-in-lift

/Jeppe

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Feb 28, 2010, 1:25:36 PM2/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Finally! Great job, Jeppe.

- IRC

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Feb 28, 2010, 5:18:15 PM2/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <je...@ingolfs.dk> wrote:
> The new logging code is now in master and should be fully usable.
> Therefore, the existing logging code has been deprecated.

.....although I don't seem to get any deprecation warnings when using
eg Log.info

Can somebody confirm if the deprecation works?

/Jeppe

David Pollak

Feb 28, 2010, 6:20:40 PM2/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

We have the deprecations turned off in the pom.xml file by default... but gotta turn the deprecation warnings on post M3.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Mar 1, 2010, 4:30:30 AM3/1/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM, David Pollak
<feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> We have the deprecations turned off in the pom.xml file by default... but
> gotta turn the deprecation warnings on post M3.

Not sure what this means? Do the generated jars on scala-tools not
contain deprecation info or does the compilation of Lift itself not
show deprecation warnings?

If the former, this would explain what I see. If the latter, I added

<args>
<arg>
-deprecation
</arg>
</args>

to my own pom and would expect this to show the warnings....

/Jeppe

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Mar 1, 2010, 6:15:23 PM3/1/10
<feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> We have the deprecations turned off in the pom.xml file by default... but
> gotta turn the deprecation warnings on post M3.

I think the main reasons deprecations are not shown for stuff like
Log.info is that deprecation of objects doesn't work
https://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/3115. I've made a new ticket
so we can deprecate all the members instead....

/Jeppe

aw

Mar 1, 2010, 7:49:13 PM3/1/10
to Lift
Very nice! I am looking forward to this.

Stuart Roebuck

Mar 4, 2010, 12:12:07 PM3/4/10
to Lift
Trying this on 2.8 with the 2.8 Lift Snapshot.

The Logger trait seems to work fine though looking at the code I can't
see how setup gets called.

The Loggable trait is throwing a null pointer exception.

I'm using Log4J.

Stuart.

P.S. I don't want to mess with other people's wiki pages, but I
wonder whether it is worth consolidating the pages: "How To: Configure
Logging" and "Logging in Lift".

On Mar 2, 12:49 am, aw <anth...@whitford.com> wrote:
> Very nice!  I am looking forward to this.
>
> On Feb 28, 8:14 am, Jeppe Nejsum Madsen <je...@ingolfs.dk> wrote:
>

> > The newloggingcode is now in master and should be fully usable.
> > Therefore, the existingloggingcode has been deprecated.

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Mar 4, 2010, 1:26:24 PM3/4/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Stuart Roebuck <stuart....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying this on 2.8 with the 2.8 Lift Snapshot.
>
> The Logger trait seems to work fine though looking at the code I can't
> see how setup gets called.

It should be called when the lazy val checkConfig is being initialized.

> The Loggable trait is throwing a null pointer exception.
>
> I'm using Log4J.

Could you show (part of) the stacktrace? There's another glitch with
the Logger specs in the 2.8 branch so I may get some time to look at
this soon.

> Stuart.
>
> P.S.  I don't want to mess with other people's wiki pages, but I
> wonder whether it is worth consolidating the pages: "How To: Configure
> Logging" and "Logging in Lift".

It's a community wiki. Feel free to edit :-) And you're right they
should be consolidated. I actually thought I did a search before
creating the new page...oh well.

/Jeppe

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Mar 4, 2010, 1:50:09 PM3/4/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On 04/03/10 10:42 PM, Stuart Roebuck wrote:
> Trying this on 2.8 with the 2.8 Lift Snapshot.
>
> The Logger trait seems to work fine though looking at the code I can't
> see how setup gets called.
>
> The Loggable trait is throwing a null pointer exception.

Yes, this is a known one. We encountered this in LoggingSpec too.
Jeppe/myself would look into it.

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Mar 13, 2010, 6:54:04 AM3/13/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Stuart Roebuck <stuart....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying this on 2.8 with the 2.8 Lift Snapshot.
>
> The Logger trait seems to work fine though looking at the code I can't
> see how setup gets called.
>
> The Loggable trait is throwing a null pointer exception.

I've pushed a change to the 280_port_refresh branch that should fix this

/Jeppe