Lift + Scala 2.8 (Was: Re: [Lift] Re: Is there any eclipse setup that actually works for lift?)

Jorge Ortiz

Jun 22, 2009, 10:51:03 PM6/22/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I just spent all afternoon trying to get stuff to compile with Scala 2.8.

Since Lift depends on Specs, and Specs depends on Scalacheck, I started trying to port Scalacheck to 2.8 so I could port Specs to 2.8 so I could port Lift. It was unable to get Scalacheck to compile due to bugs which cause the compiler to choke and throw an exception. Apparently both paulp and Iulian have tried to compile Scalacheck with 2.8 before and failed.

Giving up on Specs and Scalacheck, I decided to try to compile Lift (sans tests) with 2.8. After fixing some of the breaking changes that 2.8 introduces, I again ran into compiler troubles. In principle, with a lot of sleuthing I could figure out what code is causing the compiler to choke and give the compiler more type hints or whatever. Unfortunately this requires more work than I can put in today.

Conclusion: 2.8 is basically unusable right now.

(I'll check in my progress to GitHub later tonight or tomorrow.)

--j

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Ellis <ellis.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply.  Do you know whether lift *should* work with
scala 2.8 when we pull it from the maven repositories?

Lift currently only works with Scala 2.7.4.  You can use Eclipse and 2.7.5 to edit Lift files, but Lift must be deployed against 2.7.4.

We will have a branch of Lift (Jorge... you got this running yet) building against 2.8, but it will be experimental.

I have experienced a fair number of suboptimalities with Lift and Eclipse in the last 3 weeks with the 2.7.5 stable plugin.  I have had success recently with NetBeans, IntelliJ, and emacs.

 If so, then
I'll try deleting my ~/.m2 as Tim suggested.

Thanks,
Ellis

On Jun 22, 8:14 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Ellis,
> Miles will be back online in a few days, but I suspect that the answer is
> that the 2.8 plugin is the "new generation" and the 2.7.5 stuff is going to
> have bugs. :-(
>
> Sorry.
>
> David
>

> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Ellis <ellis.whiteh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
>
> > Does anyone have a setup for eclipse that works like it should?  By
> > "like it should", I mostly mean that the scala plugin doesn't crash
> > regularly AND it works with lift/maven.  If so, which versions of
> > which plugins are you using?
>
> > The nightly build of the scala plugin seems to work better than
> > 2.7.4/2.7.5 in some ways, but I couldn't get it working with lift/
> > maven due to "signature differences" between the scala libraries.
>
> > Best regards,
> > Ellis
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

Jun 22, 2009, 10:55:21 PM6/22/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Jorge Ortiz <jorge...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your hard work!

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jul 23, 2009, 11:13:41 PM7/23/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this?

Jorge Ortiz

Jul 24, 2009, 3:05:08 PM7/24/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
No, sorry. I haven't spent any more time on this.

--j

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jul 24, 2009, 3:40:34 PM7/24/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The reason I asked is that paulp recently said he was going to try again to get scalacheck to work.

David Pollak

Jul 28, 2009, 2:50:15 PM7/28/09
to lif...@googlegroups.com
After we get the next milestone out the door, we'll focus more on the 2.8 parallel branch.  I had a chat with Martin and it doesn't look like 2.8 is going to be out in September, so we've got time.