Lift versions & Backporting policy for open source Lift

David Pollak

Sep 6, 2010, 10:52:38 AM9/6/10
to liftweb
Folks,

I wanted to spend some time outlining the Lift version, bug-fix, and backport policy.  Lift is an open source project and all work on Lift is done by volunteers.  We limit the work we do as a balance between making Lift a quality, usable product and the amount of time and motivation we have available.  There have always been options to get features or additional support into Lift by contracting with me or some of the other Lift committers.  An official commercial support option for Lift will be available later this month. The policy outlined in this email only applies to the open source version of Lift.

Lift 1.0 and all versions before Lift 2.0-M5 are officially deprecated.  More generally, open source releases of Lift more than 18 months old and open source milestones of Lift more than 6 month old are deprecated.  We will not provide support for them in this forum.

We will continue to do milestone releases of Lift on a monthly basis.  Lift milestone releases tend to be as stable or more so than most final releases of other software.  The likes of Foursquare and Xerox are running on Lift milestone or snapshot releases.

We plan to do quarterly final releases of Lift (Lift 2.1-RC1 is out and should ship as Lift 2.1 later this month.)

Except for material security fixes or other huge bugs, we will not backport fixes or patches as part of the Lift open source project (once again, there will be commercial support).

Tickets opened will only be tested against the current milestone in development, unless the ticket is a material security vulnerability or a major defect (major is determined by us) for which there is no work-around.

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Timothy Perrett

Sep 6, 2010, 11:06:18 AM9/6/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Probably worth removing the old sticky threads about moving to lift actors and stickying this one so its right on the main page.

Cheers, Tim

David Pollak

Sep 6, 2010, 11:08:29 AM9/6/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Timothy Perrett <tim...@getintheloop.eu> wrote:
Probably worth removing the old sticky threads about moving to lift actors and stickying this one so its right on the main page.

Yep.  I don't have rights to change sticky bits.  Can you make the changes?

TylerWeir

Sep 6, 2010, 11:11:17 AM9/6/10
to Lift
I added this note to the group description.

On Sep 6, 11:08 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
> > Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp