An extensive install guide

Maarten Koopmans

Feb 15, 2011, 1:51:43 AM2/15/11
to Lif...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lifters,

I wrote an extensive install guide from a bare bones Debian Lenny server to a working Lift application.

Is it worth putting this under deployment  in an edited form (i.e. without the SimpleSAML stuff), or is that too much?

--Maarten

AGYNAMIX Torsten Uhlmann

Feb 15, 2011, 4:17:19 AM2/15/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this superb guide!

If you are in the mood to extend it I would sugest a best practices section on updating a running application.

Thanks,
Torsten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind Regards,

Torsten Uhlmann

--
Torsten Uhlmann
AGYNAMIX(R). Passionate Software.

David Pollak

Feb 15, 2011, 9:08:43 AM2/15/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Cool stuff.

Thanks!

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Peter Robinett

Feb 15, 2011, 11:51:24 AM2/15/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com, Lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maarten,

That's a nice introduction and I think it'd be great to add it to the Lift wiki – the more deployment tips the better. Two questions:
- Have you considered having your WARs named something like the-app-YYYY-MM-DD.war and just symlink to root.war for Jetty?
- I see you're using SimpleSAML. What's your experience with it? I'm starting a project doing SSO (rough outlines in my SO question) and I was leaning towards just doing it all in a Lift app using OAuth, similar to what Facebook does. Do you have any tips or suggestions on SSO in general and with Lift in particular?

Thanks,
Peter

Maarten Koopmans

Feb 16, 2011, 3:57:56 AM2/16/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I'll add it to the main Wiki.

Peter:
-  I'll add the symlink best practice as well.

- Simplesamlphp is AFAIK by far the simplest way to run a SAML IdP. There documentation and community is superb (much like Lift). And the "simple" - it's simple for you, but a pretty smart PHP based implementation. I used simplesamlphp here to connect to an IdP (ie. my app is service provider). The road followed enables any non-PHP app server (Django, Momgrel) to be protected in the same way.

Why SimpleSamlphp - because except for OAuth it supports a lot of "consumers" and "just works". Oh, and their documentation is good. If you have a need for OAuth 2.0 anyway, you might want to read this thread https://groups.google.com/group/simplesamlphp/browse_thread/thread/6b3522b0860c4598/ and pay attention to the link Diego posts (http://www.rediris.es/oauth2)

--Maarten

Peter Robinett

Feb 17, 2011, 4:20:00 AM2/17/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Maarten, that's very interesting.

Peter