Stemming the Twitter tide

martin odersky

Nov 17, 2010, 7:21:46 AM11/17/10
to Scala User, liftweb
Hi folks,

I was waking up this morning to rampant speciulation on Twitter that somehow we were announcing a new webframework called "Scails" or "Scales" at our BOF at Devoxx. That's complete nonsense. We were asked about Scala web frameworks and talked about Lift and Play and how Play is closer to Rails than Lift. Somebody made a joke about "Scales". It seems some people misunderstood the joke and then the rumours spread.

Just thought I correct the story before it gets too much of a lift on twitter :-).

 -- Martin

Kevin Wright

Nov 17, 2010, 7:36:59 AM11/17/10
to martin odersky, Scala User, liftweb
"Scala on Scales"

...for when you've weighed up your options carefully!

--
Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee...@gmail.com
pulse / skype: kev.lee.wright
twitter: @thecoda

Kevin Wright

Nov 17, 2010, 7:55:12 AM11/17/10
to Philippe Lhoste, scala...@listes.epfl.ch, lif...@googlegroups.com

A quick look in an online dictionary shows that 'scale' has many meaning in English, leading to rich interpretations... (although 'deposit in a kettle' isn't one of the most positive...)

It's not entirely positive, people will be thinking along these lines:

Kevin Wright

Nov 17, 2010, 8:29:42 AM11/17/10
to Wilfred Springer, martin odersky, Scala User, liftweb
On 17 November 2010 13:19, Wilfred Springer <wilfred...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Scala on Scales"
> ...for when you've weighed up your options carefully!

I would suggest "Train on Rails" instead. Way more sensible than
anything else on rails.

Depends on the type of rail... a train on curtain rails (for example) would look perfectly silly.

As would a tram or, indeed, one of those handcars much beloved of Warner Bros. cartoons: http://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOlSngs/handcar.jpg

Peter C. Chapin

Nov 17, 2010, 9:27:30 PM11/17/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com, scala...@listes.epfl.ch
On 2010-11-17 07:41, Philippe Lhoste wrote:

> On 17/11/2010 13:36, Kevin Wright wrote:
>> "Scala on Scales"
>>
>> ...for when you've weighed up your options carefully!
>

> :-)
> Well, it invoked more the image of a lizard on a stair for me.

Wouldn't that be "Scales on Scala?" :)

Peter

David Pollak

Nov 17, 2010, 10:43:33 PM11/17/10
to Peter C. Chapin, scala...@listes.epfl.ch, lif...@googlegroups.com

Setting the time machine back 4 years... that'd be Scala with Sails ;-)

Peter

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

work only

Nov 17, 2010, 10:44:27 PM11/17/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Wow the Play Framework looks easier then LIft.

Just saying I stop with Lift.

Paul

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Peter C. Chapin <pcc4...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sander Mak

Nov 18, 2010, 5:36:33 AM11/18/10
to Lift
Seems like Matt Raible is feeding the trolls at #devoxx ....
( http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AtkkDCT2WDMXdC1HOEtnUHpCejJMbUhGeGJWUmh5dVE&hl=en&output=html
)