New ticketing system

David Pollak

Jan 26, 2010, 12:46:05 PM1/26/10
to liftweb
Folks,

We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well, it's not making the grade.  It's slow.  It's limited (no unclosing tickets, no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities).  It doesn't allow easy planning/prioritization.

I'd like to switch to something more powerful.  Derek was working on LiftTicket.  I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.  Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.

Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?

Thanks,

David

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Marius

Jan 26, 2010, 1:10:29 PM1/26/10
to Lift
I wholeheartedly agree. I'd also wish we could use Derek's stuff but I
heaven't heard of it in a while and I know Derek currently has some
other stuff to do. I'm not sure if someone else took it over but no
news yet.

So unless someone has really good news about Derek's stuff Asssmbla
sounds pretty good. So you got my vote.

Br's,
Marius

On Jan 26, 7:46 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well,
> it's not making the grade.  It's slow.  It's limited (no unclosing tickets,
> no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities).  It doesn't allow easy
> planning/prioritization.
>
> I'd like to switch to something more powerful.  Derek was working on
> LiftTicket.  I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.
> Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --

> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen

Jan 26, 2010, 1:41:52 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> writes:

> Folks,
>
> We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well,
> it's not making the grade. It's slow. It's limited (no unclosing tickets,
> no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities). It doesn't allow easy
> planning/prioritization.
>
> I'd like to switch to something more powerful. Derek was working on
> LiftTicket. I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.
> Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?

We're using Assembla. Seems to work fine for our small shop. It has a
lot of features that we don't use but which I think could be handy for
Lift.

Have a look at the clojure space to see how it may look for an OSS
project.

Also, it seems (haven't tried) that it's possible to import tickets:

http://i1t2b3.com/2009/08/26/how-to-import-tickets-assembla/

/Jeppe

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 26, 2010, 2:12:50 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be a *major* wasted opportunity not to invest in LiftTicket. It would be an excellent real life showcase of Lift. And of course it wouldn't make sense to switch to Assembla only temporarily.
In addition, after all the work Derek put into it, it would be sad not to use it.
Derek said that it's pretty near functional. G-d willing I will try to download it today and see where it's holding, and see if I can move it forward. David, what features does Assembla have that you would like to see in LiftTicket (or even if Assembla doesn't)?
In any case once it's basically usable we can start using it, and add features along the way. Also, importing tickets from GitHub should be a matter of a trivial scala script.

-------------------------------------

David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> writes:

http://i1t2b3.com/2009/08/26/how-to-import-tickets-assembla/

/Jeppe

Daniel Truemper

Jan 26, 2010, 2:33:59 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

so far I have been a passive reader of this group. Lift is just a (very)
smal time project, but I like it a lot! Anyways:

>> We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well,
>> it's not making the grade. It's slow. It's limited (no unclosing tickets,
>> no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities). It doesn't allow easy
>> planning/prioritization.
>>
>> I'd like to switch to something more powerful. Derek was working on
>> LiftTicket. I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.
>> Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.
>>
>> Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?

I see many projects on GitHub using Lighthouse:

http://lighthouseapp.com/

And if I remember correctly, the github's service hook for lighthouse
will enable the 'closes #123' type of commit messages...

Best
Daniel

David Pollak

Jan 26, 2010, 2:37:37 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Daniel Truemper <true...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi,

so far I have been a passive reader of this group. Lift is just a (very)
smal time project, but I like it a lot! Anyways:

>> We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well,
>> it's not making the grade.  It's slow.  It's limited (no unclosing tickets,
>> no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities).  It doesn't allow easy
>> planning/prioritization.
>>
>> I'd like to switch to something more powerful.  Derek was working on
>> LiftTicket.  I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.
>> Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.
>>
>> Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?
I see many projects on GitHub using Lighthouse:

We used Lighthouse briefly and it was a seriously suboptimal user experience for me and others... thus the switch to GitHub.

http://lighthouseapp.com/

And if I remember correctly, the github's service hook for lighthouse
will enable the 'closes #123' type of commit messages...

Best
Daniel

David Pollak

Jan 26, 2010, 2:42:29 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Naftoli Gugenheim <nafto...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it would be a *major* wasted opportunity not to invest in LiftTicket.

I agree.

It would be an excellent real life showcase of Lift. And of course it wouldn't make sense to switch to Assembla only temporarily.
In addition, after all the work Derek put into it, it would be sad not to use it.

I agree.

Derek said that it's pretty near functional. G-d willing I will try to download it today and see where it's holding, and see if I can move it forward. David, what features does Assembla have that you would like to see in LiftTicket (or even if Assembla doesn't)?

This is pretty compelling:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets?batch=false&tickets_report_id=1&ticket_id=

As is:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/tickets/metrics/b4-TTcvBSr3RAZeJe5aVNr

Being able to plan and in other ways communicate among the committers as well as with the community is very powerful.

In any case once it's basically usable we can start using it, and add features along the way.

I'm all for that!

Daniel Truemper

Jan 26, 2010, 2:45:13 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

> We used Lighthouse briefly and it was a seriously suboptimal user experience for me and others... thus the switch to GitHub.
:)

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 26, 2010, 4:08:21 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
For anyone who wants to give LiftTicket a spin:
Download it from www.github.com/dchenbecker/LiftTicket
Extract it into a directory and open a command prompt or shell there
mvn -Dorg.liftticket.config.masterpass=xxx jetty:run
Open a browser to http://localhost:8080/config/initial and enter your password (what you wrote for xxx above).
Navigate to User Administration and create a user with full permisions.
Terminate jetty
mvn jetty:run
Login as that user and set up all your settings

There doesn't seem to be a way to configure default permissions.

-------------------------------------
David Pollak<feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:

I agree.

I agree.

This is pretty compelling:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets?batch=false&tickets_report_id=1&ticket_id=

As is:

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/tickets/metrics/b4-TTcvBSr3RAZeJe5aVNr

> liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com<liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> .
> For more options, visit this group at
>
> --

> liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com<liftweb%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> .
> For more options, visit this group at

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Surf the harmonics

Thad

Jan 26, 2010, 4:17:36 PM1/26/10
to Lift
Why not a proven workhorse in this arena, such as JIRA by Atlassian ?
It's FREE for Open Source Projects, and as a bonus you'd probably get
more widespread appeal from Java / Scala development camps.

2cents,
Thad

On Jan 26, 11:46 am, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well,
> it's not making the grade.  It's slow.  It's limited (no unclosing tickets,
> no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities).  It doesn't allow easy
> planning/prioritization.
>
> I'd like to switch to something more powerful.  Derek was working on
> LiftTicket.  I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.
> Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --

> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890

David Pollak

Jan 26, 2010, 4:30:17 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Thad <thadg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why not a proven workhorse in this arena, such as JIRA by Atlassian ?
It's FREE for Open Source Projects, and as a bonus you'd probably get
more widespread appeal from Java / Scala development camps.

Personally, I think Jira's UI and performance is awful.  I'd rather start with GitHub than go to Jira.  But that's just me.

wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well,
> it's not making the grade.  It's slow.  It's limited (no unclosing tickets,
> no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities).  It doesn't allow easy
> planning/prioritization.
>
> I'd like to switch to something more powerful.  Derek was working on
> LiftTicket.  I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.
> Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --
> Beginning Scalahttp://www.apress.com/book/view/1430219890
> Follow me:http://twitter.com/dpp
> Surf the harmonics

David Bernard

Jan 26, 2010, 4:50:49 PM1/26/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
accunote have got (IMHO) one of the best web GUI to manage "tickets", I saw.
http://www.acunote.com/promo

(also provide full access for OSS)

But to the job with a LiftTicket should be a better match (for current
and futur need).
Sorry no time to work on.

/davidB

Heiko Seeberger

Jan 27, 2010, 1:51:34 AM1/27/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
2010/1/26 David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com>

Folks,

We switched to GitHub's ticketing system a bunch of months ago and, well, it's not making the grade.  It's slow.  It's limited (no unclosing tickets, no attachments, weak discussion capaibilities).  It doesn't allow easy planning/prioritization.

I'd like to switch to something more powerful.  Derek was working on LiftTicket.  I'd like to use that, but don't know the state of the project.  Alternatively, we could use Assembla's ticketing system.

Does anyone have thoughts/input on the issue?

Let's go for Assembla. A ticketing system is ways too important (it just has to work) than we could rely on something under development like LiftTicket. Sorry!

Heiko

Work: weiglewilczek.com
Blog: heikoseeberger.name
Follow me: twitter.com/hseeberger
OSGi on Scala: scalamodules.org
Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 27, 2010, 2:06:08 AM1/27/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
What "worst case scenario" are you afraid of happening using LiftTicket?

-------------------------------------
Heiko Seeberger<heiko.s...@googlemail.com> wrote:

2010/1/26 David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com>

Heiko

Naftoli Gugenheim

Jan 28, 2010, 1:15:20 AM1/28/10
to liftweb
Could some people take LiftTicket for a spin and comment? To clarify, it's already pretty functional.
Here are some things not yet working or partially working, according to Derek:
  • File attachments
  • Possibly user comments (changes are logged), may be just lack of UI
  • Ticket changes are not yet emailed
  • Milestone support may need redesign? Currently has Module and ModuleRelease; Module allows multiple projects in same LiftTicket instance. Is that desirable?
However as a basic tool I think it's decent. I would love to hear comments. Maybe someone could host an instance of LiftTicket to track its progress? :)

David Pollak

Jan 28, 2010, 9:06:06 AM1/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Naftoli Gugenheim <nafto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Could some people take LiftTicket for a spin and comment? To clarify, it's already pretty functional.
Here are some things not yet working or partially working, according to Derek:
  • File attachments
  • Possibly user comments (changes are logged), may be just lack of UI
This would have to work before we started using it.

  • Ticket changes are not yet emailed
  • Milestone support may need redesign? Currently has Module and ModuleRelease; Module allows multiple projects in same LiftTicket instance. Is that desirable?
However as a basic tool I think it's decent. I would love to hear comments. Maybe someone could host an instance of LiftTicket to track its progress? :)

I can host an instance.  The big issue as I see it is have a reliable maintainer.  In order to use LiftTicket, we need someone who is around most of the time (46+ weeks a year), can fix bugs in a few days, has a solid Internet connection, etc.  If we can find a reliable maintainer, I'm all for moving forward with LiftTicket.

Heiko Seeberger

Jan 28, 2010, 9:29:10 AM1/28/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 28 January 2010 15:06, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:

I can host an instance.  The big issue as I see it is have a reliable maintainer.  In order to use LiftTicket, we need someone who is around most of the time (46+ weeks a year), can fix bugs in a few days, has a solid Internet connection, etc.  If we can find a reliable maintainer, I'm all for moving forward with LiftTicket.

I think this is (too) risky ...

Heiko

Lift, the simply functional web framework: liftweb.net