**BREAKING CHANGES** Adding java.net Maven repository is mandatory in SBT project descriptor

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Jul 18, 2011, 4:42:44 PM7/18/11
to lift-a...@googlegroups.com, lif...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Lift's dependency on Javamail has been upgraded from 1.4.1 to 1.4.4 [1]. This has been long overdue but had been deferred for quite a while since it wasn't (and still isn't) available on Maven central repository.

The big deals with repositories like Maven central or Scala Tools Maven repo are reliability and guaranteed uptime. The other not-so-big-but-significant deal is that SBT's default set of repository resolvers include those repositories by default.

Good point, but why change of heart if it still isn't available in one of those 'reliable' repositories? Because newer javax.* libraries are unlikely to be available outside java.net repositories [2] (at least not formally) anytime soon.

So the option boils down to either staying put with legacy libraries or bite the bullet for once and do what we need to do. To be fair, java.net Maven repo is maintained rather seriously nowadays - so we are hopefully covered on the reliability front.

Let's bite the bullet then :)

What you need to do:

(a) If you are using SBT:

Add this in your project definition (See SBT docs if necessary[3]):
lazy val JavaNet = "Java.net Maven2 Repository" at "http://download.java.net/maven/2/"

(b) If you are using Maven:

Nothing. Repositories section in the descriptor has been updated, and the right thing should just happen.

[1] http://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/tickets/1043
[2] download.java.net/maven/2/
[3] http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/wiki/Resolvers

Cheers, Indrajit