INVITATION (thought this may interest you - apology if you received this
invite through another route)
Playing with fire: Why the FMF entered the smoking debate
Leon Louw, Executive Director, Free Market Foundation
In a press release dated 13 June, the Department of Health accused the FMF
of making irresponsible statements about tobacco use.
Leon will explain our "irresponsible" behaviour by answering the following
- Do fundamental rights in a free society include ownership of your
- How does one deal with "conflicts" of rights in a free society? In
other words, can you protect the rights of both smokers and non-smokers?
- Do tobacco regulations undermine freedom, property rights, and
- Are tobacco regulations just the beginning? In other words, will
regulation of this nature allow the state to take the steps that eventually
lead into your home to determine what you eat, what you buy (Local is
Lekker), and perhaps with whom you sleep?
- Tobacco regulations are badly drafted, impossible to implement, and
likely to be ignored. Do societies that ignore bad laws, become societies
that also ignore good laws?
- What does freedom really mean?
Date Tuesday, 6 November 2012
Cheese & Wine 17h30 - 18h00
Presentation & Discussion 18h00 - 19h30
Venue Free Market Foundation
Prime Meridian House, Building 6, Bryanston Gate Office Park, 170 Curzon
Directions Bryanston Gate is on the corner of Homestead Avenue and Main Road
opposite Sandton Clinic (cnr Peter Place and Main); you must enter Curzon
from Main; then first gate on the left
Security Please bring this invitation with you as it will speed up the
security process; without it you will need to complete the security form at
If you cannot join us, no need to RSVP
If you wish to join us, RSVP via www.fmfevents.co.za essential as seat