Feature request: leo should be able to load icons from a custom location

zpcspm

Jun 3, 2011, 10:59:06 AM6/3/11
to leo-editor
Problem: leo's "boxXX" icons are hardcoded. They don't look too well
if leo runs with a dark theme. Please see http://i.imgur.com/dkVjp.png

I think leo should be able to load icons from a non-default location.
This way it would be possible to use another set of icons instead of
default ones.

Perhaps ~/.leo/ is a good candidate, leo could look there for an Icons
subdirectory and load icons from there first, then fall back to
default ones.

Edward K. Ream

Jun 14, 2011, 1:36:44 PM6/14/11
to leo-editor

On Jun 3, 9:59 am, zpcspm <zpc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think leo should be able to load icons from a non-default location.
> This way it would be possible to use another set of icons instead of
> default ones.

Not a bad idea. I'll put it on the list. Is there is some reason why
you can't replace the box icons yourself?

Edward

Ville M. Vainio

Jun 14, 2011, 2:54:39 PM6/14/11
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
If you are running from bzr branch that you update regularly,
replacing files will cause problems. Better have the "user specified"
stuff outside the source tree (as is the case w/ myLeoSettings.leo)

zpcspm

Jun 14, 2011, 5:13:37 PM6/14/11
to leo-editor

On Jun 14, 9:54 pm, "Ville M. Vainio" <vivai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are running from bzr branch that you update regularly,
> replacing files will cause problems. Better have the "user specified"
> stuff outside the source tree (as is the case w/ myLeoSettings.leo)

Exactly. This is my use case. I can replace the genuine icons that
come with leo, but as soon as I'll pull from launchpad - a merge
conflict will happen.

Edward K. Ream

Jun 15, 2011, 8:15:29 AM6/15/11
to leo-e...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM, zpcspm <zpc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. This is my use case. I can replace the genuine icons that
> come with leo, but as soon as I'll pull from launchpad - a merge
> conflict will happen.

I'm convinced. I'll add this feature to the next release. I'm
leaning towards calling it 4.9 final. This will encourage more people
to use it.

Edward