On IRC a number of the members (and soon-to-be members) have been
discussing the new space and we decided a mail would be best.
Before Christmas a number of discussions took place and it was
effectively decided that we would look at signing the lease from
£2700. For some reason this figure seems has increased to £3000 much
to the displeasure of a number of members.
We all understand the requirements of having a steady income to ensure
that the same thing does not happen to this space as happened to the
last one and the directors end up propping the whole thing up with
their own cash but we also understand that without a space, members
aren't goint to hold on paying membership forever and new members are
not prepared to pay without something to be paying for. With a new
space we are guaranteed a few new members which we are not going to
get without one - we seem to be driving potential members away a
little bit with our little social chatting group in OBH on Tuesdays as
not a lot happens, lots of talk and little action.
With that in mind, we would like to move discussions forward with the
future landlord in getting a lease signed in the next week or so.
I have pledged at least £100 (or more depending on what my bank
balance is like) which will be paid in within the next week if we get
this sorted, Nav and Craig have very recently transferred £100 and
back in December a number of other people mentioned larger donations
with the intention of tipping the pot over the £2.7k target and with
the cash that comes in early next month by my maths (which isn't too
bad) that should take us comfortably to what was discussed (without
the other mentioned possible donations).
On a different note, I spoke to the sparky at work today and he is
happy to come down some time within the next month or so to discuss
what we want to do, what we need to do and some idea of how much it
might cost. He's happy to check wiring and wire the larger stuff if
necessary for no charge (I did mention beer but he's a nice bloke and
with it being a not for profit he said he'd be happy to do what he can
for nothing - not that we can abuse this...).
Unfortunately he's not currently certified as it's not required for
his current job but if he doesn't get certified by the company then he
might be able to speak to a friend about doing it on the cheap for us
(the paperwork costs a certain amount whoever does it so we can't
avoid all cost).
I also have access to the scrap cable mountain that we have in the
warehouse at work currently but that will disappear to the recyclers
as soon as my boss makes a comment about it so time is of the essence
if we want some of that!
(I can't store any)
I look forward to hearing other's views on the matters expressed above
and hopefully then we can discuss when we all need to get down there
for some hard graft cleaning up and painting in a few weeks time!