simple ledger data entry question

dwebman

Feb 22, 2009, 12:47:42 PM2/22/09
to Ledger
Hi,
I'm new to Ledger but have read the manual and installed it on by
FreeBSD system. I've made some entries and have queried the .dat file
with success. My question is: How do I enter invoice numbers, check
numbers and other reference numbers to paper source documents in
the .dat file transactions?

Thank you for any assistance,
regards
Dave

John Wiegley

Feb 22, 2009, 2:27:00 PM2/22/09
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:47 PM, dwebman wrote:

> I'm new to Ledger but have read the manual and installed it on by
> FreeBSD system. I've made some entries and have queried the .dat file
> with success. My question is: How do I enter invoice numbers, check
> numbers and other reference numbers to paper source documents in
> the .dat file transactions?

Put the number in parens before the payee name:

2009/01/01 (100) Payee

I use this for check and invoice numbers.

If you're using 3.0, you can use a more complex system: metadata. For
example:

2009/01/01 (100) Payee
; Reference: A2349BX

This sets both a "code", and a metadata item named "Reference". You
can query on either of these:

ledger reg \#100
or ledger reg code 100
ledger reg \%ref=2349
or ledger reg meta ref=2349

John

dwebman

Feb 22, 2009, 7:39:14 PM2/22/09
to Ledger
Thank you so much. You are so generous with your time.
Dave