Pre-Paid Cards

Silumesii Maboshe

Mar 26, 2009, 4:34:02 PM3/26/09
to Ledger
Hello!

I'd like to use Ledger to track things like pre-paid cards, Skype
Credits, reward points and the like. Say I bought 14.00 Skype Credits
and paid $14.00 for them on a MasterCard. How would I record such a
transaction and show that 14.00 Skype Credits translates to $14.00?

2009-03-20 Buy Skype Credit
Assets:Pre-Paid:Skype Credit 14.00 SkypeCredit
Liabilities:MasterCard

Or should I add the actual credit value to the credit card like this?
2009-03-20 Buy Skype Credit
Assets:Pre-Paid:Skype Credit 14.00 SkypeCredit
Liabilities:MasterCard $-14.00

The notes on commodities in Ledger.pdf are useful but I am still
unclear on how to use those.
Thanks in advance.

Silumesii

John Wiegley

Mar 26, 2009, 4:54:18 PM3/26/09
to ledge...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 26, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Silumesii Maboshe wrote:

> Or should I add the actual credit value to the credit card like this?
> 2009-03-20 Buy Skype Credit
> Assets:Pre-Paid:Skype Credit 14.00 SkypeCredit
> Liabilities:MasterCard $-14.00

This is the correct form. You can alternately say this:

2009-03-20 Buy Skype Credit
Assets:Pre-Paid:Skype Credit 14.00 SkypeCredit @ $1
Liabilities:MasterCard

John